CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
John Koshy

Profile:
crappy shoulder external rotation - right side

Any tips/stretches for this? My left side is pretty good (which is funny since it's my non-dominant side) but my right side starts hurting when I try and do this (obviously cant go that extreme even on the functioning left side, but just a pic to show how i was testing external rotation ability):

(links WFS)
http://ericcressey.com/wp-content/up...96-300x225.jpg

It's bad enough that when I try to do the overhead tricep stretch, my right shoulder and bicep hurts, and the stretch doesn't even stretch the right tricep lol. I think this may be due to months of benching pressing weird where I was leaning more onto the right side. It also hurts when I stretch the right pec against a wall....hurts the shoulder and parts of the bicep. So, I guess my right shoulder's external range of motion is **** lol.

Anyone have a good tips on how I can help alleviate this? What about soft tissue work? I'm assuming I can't use a foam roller except for the upper back...I do have tennis balls and a soup can. How can I use those?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Kevin McCahill

Profile:
Re: crappy shoulder external rotation - right side

I tore my right RC and after rehab I was able to do pull-ups again. However I overcompensated with my left shoulder and was pulling funny as well. (like your benching move)
I believe I stressed the shoulder and created major imbalances. I could not make that motion at all. Cuban presses were super painful in that shoulder only. I tried acupuncture, art, and I foam and lax ball rolled all the time. Al I did was irritate the tendonitis.
I iced everyday. (twice if I could) I stopped everything that hurt and started to slowly build the muscle back up with isolation exercises. Ring rows, some light DB shoulder work. Pull aparts and face pulls with bands help tremendously. Just look at T-Nation or Steven Lowís recommendations for shoulder rehab. And do the ones that DONíT irritate.
Iím back and able to do most things with my shoulder. Took about two months.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koshy View Post
Any tips/stretches for this? My left side is pretty good (which is funny since it's my non-dominant side) but my right side starts hurting when I try and do this (obviously cant go that extreme even on the functioning left side, but just a pic to show how i was testing external rotation ability):

(links WFS)
http://ericcressey.com/wp-content/up...96-300x225.jpg

It's bad enough that when I try to do the overhead tricep stretch, my right shoulder and bicep hurts, and the stretch doesn't even stretch the right tricep lol. I think this may be due to months of benching pressing weird where I was leaning more onto the right side. It also hurts when I stretch the right pec against a wall....hurts the shoulder and parts of the bicep. So, I guess my right shoulder's external range of motion is **** lol.

Anyone have a good tips on how I can help alleviate this? What about soft tissue work? I'm assuming I can't use a foam roller except for the upper back...I do have tennis balls and a soup can. How can I use those?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Sounds like a possible frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis where you can lose that motion quickly compared to your opposite side. Go to my website and look up Physical Therapy protocols for frozen shoulder.

www.orthopedicsne.com

If the does not help get evaluated. Good luck
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Sounds like a possible frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis where you can lose that motion quickly compared to your opposite side. Go to my website and look up Physical Therapy protocols for frozen shoulder.

www.orthopedicsne.com

If the does not help get evaluated. Good luck
Sean, he already posted this thread:

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73445

Which highlights some of the other shoulder issues in conjunction with this.

I still say get it evaluated.