CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
John Duncan

Profile:
Thinking about starting CF

I'm 100 lbs overweight, can't do a pull up or a dip. Can someone like me realistically get into crossfit? Were any of you like me when you started and if so, how are you now as far as being physically fit? Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Thinking about starting CF

There's tons of stories of people like you who started CrossFit and had incredible success with it.

Just do it, man.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Anthony Rubino

Profile:

John,

The only thing stopping you is your head. It does not matter your current state. CF can be scaled for everyone. Take a look at the BrandX scales and start on Wednesday.

Let me know how it went. Your going to do great and feel great about your self.

Tony
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

welcome aboard john! i used to live out in dekalb and drive past oswego on the way to my dads in plainfield every weekend.

crossfit is perfect for you. start with the faq section on the main page. then check out the brand x scaled workout section.

once you get consistant with the workout routine then look into your diet. 80% of your gains are going to be because of diet. check out paleo and the zone diets. i really like paleo myself since i don't like counting all my food intake. i lost 50lbs last year on paleo with crossfit.

just stick with it!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Daniel Tyrrell

Profile:

Go for it John, that’s great that you are finding the motivation. I’m pretty new to crossfit, so I would suggest going to an affiliate to help you get started. The support will help and also the instruction to learn the proper techniques.

As for eating, I am a big fan of Paleo, its been going great for me. The first week was an adjustment, but now I have more energy then I know what to do with.

You can do it and I can’t wait to hear about your success!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
John Duncan

Profile:

Julius, Anthony, Ted , daniel, thanks for all the replies guys.

I will get started soon. I'm looking forward to it.

As far as diet goes, I'm six months into the zone and it is working well, so that is a start.

I am one who grew up playing sports, was in the Army, I was in excellent shape then, afterward I competed in Trialthlons but the last 15 years not too much to speak of physically. So I'm not completely lost in the gym but it has been a long time and I never did anything like Crossfit. Maybe it's a bit intimidating at first but i will do it.

Thanks for the supportive posts.

John
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Adam Walker Gurule

Profile:

Just remember to start off slow. Don't worry about a number on the scale go with how you feel. Two most important things in my opinion. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Andy Levitt

Profile:

Based on my very limited experience (I just started this past weekend), I think you'll be fine. As the prior posts said, check out the BrandX scaled workouts, which have options at very doable levels for out of shape guys like us. I also think you'll find that your prior athletic experience, even if it was a while ago, will help you get into it more easily.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

John, good luck in your pursuit of CF. If I had one suggestion, it would be to find a workout partner (or join an affiliate). Having someone that you go through your routine with, will give you a sense of needing to do it so that you don't disappoint. It's much harder to say "I'm tired, screw working out today" when you have a designated time that you meet with somebody else.

This may not hold true for everybody, but it certainly has helped me over the years.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Go for it, John! Hey, there are plenty of people who can't do a pullup or a dip, regardless of their weight. I'll definitely plug the affiliate if you have one close to you because I've had a great experience at mine, and they are really good at scaling. Also, I am an extremely positive person, but it does help to have coaches there to give me a kick in the pants.

I've lost 19 lbs so far (in 3 months, 1 of which has been at a CF affiliate). I'm pretty darn close to my first dead hang pullup, and I've cut my mile time from 11:00 to 8:51 without doing any running other than WODs. Your past athletic experience WILL help you. It has helped me, and I am FAR from where I was even 5 years ago.

Jump in and taste the kool-aid.