CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Andy Gann

Profile:
Thinking of Starting SS (No WOD's) on Monday

I've been doing scaled versions of the WOD for about 3 weeks. There have been a few that I've done as rx'd but no many ...

My CFT 10 days ago was 515 (i think .. i don't want to stop and search where I posted it ...).

I'm 34, 6-1, 197 lbs (22 % BF) and I am thinking of doing ONLY SS for 6 - 8 weeks starting on Monday.

My biggest concern - and your input is appreciated - is not having a spotter or being able to dump max loads at the gym where I work out.

I have though of asking someone there to spot me when I do BP .. I guess I'm just a little nervous ... Also - I haven't seen any signs saying 'No Dumping' but I'm scared about getting strange looks and stuff ....

I'm not new to sports/general fitness but I AM new to strength training ... I guess I need a little assurance.

Any advice would be appreciated.... THANKS!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
David Bennett

Profile:
Re: Thinking of Starting SS (No WOD's) on Monday

Hi Andy, just a few thoughts:

--having a spotter for the bench press is a good idea. You could substitute weighted dips if you didn't have a spotter-though that wouldn't be the official SS program anymore. I just started a SS program but only request a spotter on the third set of 5 for the bench press.
--Does the gym have safety stands or a squat rack you could use for the back squats and front squats? I'd be surprised if they didn't somewhere if the gym has barbells.
--Have you obtained a copy of both Starting Strength and Practical Programming? They are both well worth the money and time spent reading them.
--I suggest not limiting yourself to a set number of weeks. Some people may make linear progression up to 9 months on SS. If you have both books, you can see read about how to modify the program so that you can continue to make progress each session. When you no longer can make progress each session, come back to the main crossfit WOD.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

Don't bench heavy without a spotter. The bench is the most dangerous weight lifting exercise there is, and you can really hurt yourself. I think (and others can correct me) that you can just do the press instead of the bench and get most of the benefit of the program.

Don't be afraid to dump the weight if you have to. If the choice is between getting some stares and a possible injury, take the stares every time.

Tim
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Why can't you use a spotter, is no one in the gym when you train?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

If you're not trying some stupid weight, that you have no business lifting, just leave off the collars. IF you get stuck, the bar should NOT be over your throat anyway, just tip the bar to one side, weights slide off, then bar quickly adjusts the other direction, plates slide off.

I KNOW IT'S NOT REAL SAFE OR PRETTY, It's just a suggestion if you really can't get a spot or lift in a rack.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Ryan Green

Profile:

I've never had the luxury of having a regular spotter, so some tips I have if you're maxing out:

-Use a squat rack or power rack with safety bars
-Use Dumbells
-Leave the clips off the bar, and put a 25 lbs plate on your chest when you lift, so if you fail and come down hard, the weight will be displaced, and as a previous person mentioned you can dump the weights off one side then the other
-Just ask somebody else in the gym to spot for you a couple sets, I've always asked politely and I've never had anyone say no
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Thanks everybody for your help. I guess I'm just not as outgoing in the gym as I am in other domains of life so I have always been a little timid to ask somebody to spot me b/c I'm worried that they're wondering to themself why I'm maxing out with like 115 lbs on the bench ...

It's not like I'm really pushing that much weight so my injury risk is still low. I think I'll just ask somebody politely and take it from there.

BTW, I was cracking up thinking about what it would look like in the gym to tip the bar over to one side and the weights go crashing to the floor ...

I work out at two different community centers and my choice of the two is dependent upon what the rest of my day looks like. One of them would definitely have a spotter should I ask ... the other one, probably not, but they have a rack that I could slide the bench under and go from there.

Thanks again ... I'll check back on this post if anybody else wants to add anything but for now - I've got a tentative plan for my first SS workout.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Andy;

If you're going to do Rip's SS program, drop the timid bullsh-t.

You have to exhibit violent tendencies and a burning desire to push / pull big weight and you'll get God awful strong, eat like a horse, then eat the horse, then rest.

Repeat 3 x times per week.

Anything less will be a personal insult to Coach Rip, and that is one dude I'd not want to p-ss off.

Maybe you should become a vegetarian and do some Yoga, though I do highly recommend the SS program. I'm on my 8th week, and will see Coach Rip Saturday in Ann Arbor.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Michael Drew

Profile:

I don't see bench press being that dangerous. Unless your using some inproper grip your not going to drop it on yourself. The worse thing that can happen is that you go down and can't come back up. I couldn't tell you the number of times that I had to roll the weight down my chest so I could sit up. But its real easy to ask for a spotter at a gym.
Just act real cool and in the middle of someones rest period say, "Yo bro mind if you give me a quick spot. I'm looking for 3, no lift, on three, 1 2 3."
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm going to have to agree with Jay. If you can't muster up the courage to ask some one for a spot, how are you going to find the courage to get under a bar with enough weight to crush you?

And, for god sakes, make sure your arms are locked before you try to rack the weight. you don't want to drop the bar on your throat.