CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Rich Krauss

Profile:
I'm 45 and started cf this month. I never had problems with BP when I was younger but now when I put on a heavy load(i.e. bodyweight BP) I am having pain in right shoulder on the press part. No problems with lighter weight or pushups. Is this a technique issue? Not sure what the pain is due to. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Perhaps try to keep your elbows in tight (don't let them flare out) to your body during the lift?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Tony Young

Profile:
Rich,
Welcome aboard.

At 49 I feel your pain. Could be one of or a combination of things. Chances are it's at least partially due to inflexibility in the shoulders. Make sure you're well warmed and loose every workout. More important now than when we were younger.

The angles on push up and bench are different and sometimes that's enough to feel one differently than the other. I'd go light(er) on the bench for a while and let everything get acclimated. The push ups are a good sub. No need to rush. Pain is a trustworthy indicator of moving ahead too fast.

If you have access to one, a neutral grip bar can relieve some of the shoulder pain of bench pressing. It lets the shoulders work in a more natural plane.

Been to the doc?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

rich, I used to have shoulder pain before cf when doing bp. But now since doing ring dips the last year or so I have no shoulder pain whatsoever. K.O.W. At first doing ring dips my left shoulder was weaker than my right so I had a little pain but I think that the stabilzer muscles were gettting stronger. Now I have no problem w/ring dips..
Old 01-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Rich Krauss

Profile:
thanks for your responses!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #6
Taeke de Jonge

Profile:  
Dumbbell bench presses can make up a reasonable substitute. The range of motion is greater and the arms and shoulders can move freely, this definitely decreases the strain on the joints. You will be surprised how much lower de weight is that you can press. Mounting and dismounting can be a little tough in the beginning, but with a little practice that should be no problem and even fun to do.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Pecto...BenchMount.gif