CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
So, if a friend called you and said, "I'm thinking of starting Curves" how would you respond?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
"That's probably better than what you've been doing, which is nothing."
Old 12-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"That's Great! Those people are really known for being in great shape. I mean whenever I turn around there is another athlete giving them praise."

Seriously though. . . something is better than nothing. That is why I love taco bell.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Russ Thornton

Profile:
"Friends don't let Friends do Curves."

But, I have to agree, starting something is better than doing nothing.

Coincidentally, both my mom & mother-in-law both started Curves separately a few months back and intially they wouldn't shut up about how great it was and what a good workout they were getting, etc. I was very encouraging to both of them.

They have since quit going altogether -- I think a lot of it was boredom from doing the same thing over and over and over.

That's the beauty of CrossFit . . . always changing the workouts, intensity, etc. -- impossible to get bored.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
David Werner

Profile:
Cassi

Curves is a good start for women who have little conditioning or confidence, and it is way better than nothing.

A great approach would be to encourage your friend, and praise her progress. As she progresses in making a habit of working out, start talking to her about the next steps, show her some workouts that are just slightly beyond her. We're trying to help her see herself as an athlete, it takes some time.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Curves = Taco Bell of fitness regimes?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<See Avatar
Old 12-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Albert Clayton

Profile:
My mother loves going. She is 64 and I say go for it.

Also, read Lincoln's post.

Taco Bell everyday can damage you and Curves everyday will more than likely improve a person.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Nikki Young

Profile:
I think it depense on the person. Each gym has it's way of training people. If someone wants to train at high intensity and learn how to OL, they won't be going to curves. If they want to be able to do relaxing workouts in a calm environment, then they will go to curves! If it doesn't work out you just have to ask 'why didn't i like it? what wasn't i getting/achieving?'. If it's her first time at a gym, or for a while, and she isn't sure what she's getting herself into exactly, its great that she's going, she might love it, she might not ... no reason to quit exercising though if she doesn't enjoy her time there at the gym, she just needs to find somewhere that caters for the style of exercise she does want/enjoy.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Curves is a good start for women who have little conditioning or confidence, and it is way better than nothing.

A great approach would be to encourage your friend, and praise her progress. As she progresses in making a habit of working out, start talking to her about the next steps, show her some workouts that are just slightly beyond her. We're trying to help her see herself as an athlete, it takes some time.

That's great advice. The biggest step would seem to be that she has decided to get off her duff and do something for exercise. Support that and help her monitor her progress so that she doesn't burn out in whatever way.

Has anyone found a good way to get people to make this decision to start? Many of the important people in my life don't do ANYTHING in terms of exercise. And they're not going to start just because I tell them they should. ("Should"--a bad word for this sort of thing; at least I've figured that one out.) It has to come from within them. Does it start with self dissatisfaction? Some desire to "be better"? Maybe "The Talk" with a doctor after a particularly bad checkup?

I'm not there to set an example. Maybe what this means is I don't talk to my family enough; gotta chew on that one for awhile. I may be trying to push my own values on them, but, hey, I'm right on this one! :-)

Best,
Rene'

PS--Just finished listening to Dan John's CrossFit Live session while working late. If you haven't heard it, it's worth it, of course. Great resource, Dave Young. Thanks!