CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Caine Peters

Profile:
Sport specific training (MMA/muay thai) weight training

Hey guys been searching quite a bit and there is mixed opinions on what sort of weight training program a martial artist should follow, some say low rep high sets, some say oly lifts, or the other team say high reps moderate sets,

If anyone has any advice or knows quite good program/template to folllow it would really be appreciated, also i train 4 days weights 3 days mma, wanting to keep current weight level 70kgs thank you all
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: Sport specific training (MMA/muay thai) weight training

Ultimate Athlete Program. Coach Rick Scarpulla trains various athletes using it, including MMA fighters.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Ultimate Athlete Program. Coach Rick Scarpulla trains various athletes using it, including MMA fighters.
Id love that sort of programming but unfortunetly i live in australia and access to his respurces and money may be an issue
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

What would the issue be? There are people all over the world utilizing his methods with great success. Sure it would be great if you could spend some time training at his facility, but that is rarely feasible for most people.

I PMed you his contact info. Give him a call or shoot him an email so he can outline what sort of things you need to be working on.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

You should follow a Westside style protocol. You want to increase absolute strength without adding body weight if you are in a specific weight class. You would then augment that with some true speed strength training (very, very light loads performed explosively) in order to increase your striking power.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Chris, does a greater focus on DE days (say doing 2 DE days to every 1 max day) have a better tendency to increase strength without adding as much mass?

Honest question here....
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Brian Lelli

Profile:

I've been doing competitive BJJ and training MMA for about 1.5yrs now and have had to do a LOT of testing of different methodologies to figure what works best (for me). Here is what I have figured out so far:

#1: Rest and Recovery (Active) is key.
#2: Explosiveness is very important, do some Oly-Lifting
#3: Grip Strength training can be very helpful.
#4: Find either your goal weight or competition weight and try to stick within 5-8lbs of that and train to decrease body fat and increase muscle (the holy grail) at that weight.
#5: Types of cardio or "cardio" that work best are our CF endurance WODs and Sprints.

I could probably go on and on but that's where I'll stop.

I do have to mention that above all; practice of the sport comes first. Everything else is only supplemental.

Good luck and hit me up anytime with questions!!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lelli View Post
I've been doing competitive BJJ and training MMA for about 1.5yrs now and have had to do a LOT of testing of different methodologies to figure what works best (for me). Here is what I have figured out so far:

#1: Rest and Recovery (Active) is key.
#2: Explosiveness is very important, do some Oly-Lifting
#3: Grip Strength training can be very helpful.
#4: Find either your goal weight or competition weight and try to stick within 5-8lbs of that and train to decrease body fat and increase muscle (the holy grail) at that weight.
#5: Types of cardio or "cardio" that work best are our CF endurance WODs and Sprints.

I could probably go on and on but that's where I'll stop.

I do have to mention that above all; practice of the sport comes first. Everything else is only supplemental.

Good luck and hit me up anytime with questions!!
Cheers brian, how many days per week do you weight train too? And what reps/sets do you find benificial?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Chris, does a greater focus on DE days (say doing 2 DE days to every 1 max day) have a better tendency to increase strength without adding as much mass?

Honest question here....
No, ME work will elicit the least mass stimulus. It is the accessory work on ME days that is the primary hypertrophy stimulus, but if you control your diet it doesn't much matter in the sense you won't gain much lean muscle mass if you don't fuel it with food.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I focus 2 days a week on strength training, 5/3/1 Squat and Bench one day, Deadlift and Press on another day. My assistance exercises are mostly low-rep, high weight as well, but I do some muscular endurance work as well as core work. I have a Thai boxing match coming up on Saturday at 68kg, and my normal walking weight is 73kg.