CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Matthew Wade

Profile:
Making the switch from training as hobby to training for pay...

For those of you that started training friends and family out of the garage/park:

I am currently working out in my garage and have been casually training a few friends and family. I plan to really make a business of it in the near future once my schedule frees up a bit (just finishing my degree, work crazy hours and have a family; buying a house,the usual nonsense) and I get the business end worked out. I am level 1 certified as well as Crossfit Kids and my degree is Exercise Science. I have recently been getting a lot of questions/interest from other people and many who want to come workout with us. I was thinking of starting a Saturday morning intro type class for free in a local park to let those who are interested see for themselves. I would even consider some random weekday workouts with those that want them, but they would be very random as my schedule is really sporatic right now.

So for those who have done similar things how did you actually make that transition from free workouts to paid workouts? Did you let those who were working out for free continue for free? How did you approach this? I would love to do some workouts for those who are showing an interest and don't mind doing a little training for free as I get things settled and set up but would like anyone's advice who may have already travelled this path.
Does anyone recommend not taking this route and just waiting until I am ready to start as a business? By the way I do have insurance as a trainer now and will be getting more as a business later.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Daniel Broughton

Profile:
Re: Making the switch from training as hobby to training for pay...

Matt, I just made the switch yesterday from free to paying customers. I was working for free for about a month before affiliating and getting all my ducks in a row. Now though, my time, my training is not for free. I told my athletes a while ago that is wouldn't be free for ever and they were receptive so, when the time came (yesterday) they were still receptive. I must say that having that dose of free CrossFit does help when it comes to paying for a product. They are also aware that when I get a facility the price will go up again. They are paying you for your time, professionalism and most of all your training. If you offer a professionl product they will pay for it.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Celio Silva

Profile:

Let them know that you mean business, that this is what you're pursuing and that you plan on being the best you can be at it. To do that you need world-class equipment, world-class training (either certifications or trips to train under top coaches), insurance, etc... . In other words, in order for you to offer them the best training you can you must charge them. They will see the value, and if they don't they don't deserve your time and energy, and do not belong in your gym!

Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Matthew Wade

Profile:

Daniel, thanks for the reply and encouragement. Good luck with the new affiliate, I will be checking your site and watching your progress.

Celio, your site and program look awesome. You have a program running very similar to what I have pictured for myself. Your garage looks great. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Celio Silva

Profile:

Thanks Matthew! The pics on the site are actually old and out-dated. I have since built a second olympic plataform and reflorred the entire gym. It's finally at a point where i am VERY happy with it !!! Our membership has been growing steadily from day one and has recently really started to take off just as we approach our one year mark! We are celebrating our first anniversary this Sunday with a workout/eatout bash at a local park, and I couldn't ask for a better first year. We are changing many lives, having a ton of fun in the process, and receiving massive love from the community. It's a he!! of a ride man, go for it!!!

P.S. Feel free to contact me with any questions...
Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Matthew Wade

Profile:

any other stories, advice or guidance from those who started in similar fashion would be great...