CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Andrew J Johnston

Profile:
Weight Lifting Break?

I'm a college basketball player. In two weeks we start conditioning for this season. I wanted to take a break from weightlifting to give my joints a little rest an just do cardio, plyos, & body weight workouts until I get up to school. Is this an okay idea? Or will I lose muscle that I gained from all the weightlifting in the two weeks I take off from it?

Last edited by Andrew J Johnston; 08-10-2012 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Weight Lifting Break?

In my own experience, 2 weeks off is probably the max you want to go without any strength training. I recently took 6 weeks off of overhead work cause of a shoulder injury, and man was I weak when I returned. But damn, the strength came back faster than I thought. So 2 weeks, no big deal at all IMO. I wouldnt want to go more than that though.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Are you injured? If not I would consider not giving it up just going really easy. Most programs have deload periods built into them and this is why. Instead of giving up weightlifting entirely though why not just do the movements at around 50% (or even lighter if you want). You'll get the break you need, but won't lose much of the mental process behind the lifts (if that makes sense?).
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Andrew J Johnston

Profile:

Well I'm not injured, but I just wanted to give my body a break because I've been lifting an working out 4 times a week all summer. I was going to do bodyweight exercises an resistance exercises such as weighted pull-ups & push-ups, resistance band workouts, ect. The only thing I would be changing is actual lifts.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Take an off week if you need it, no biggie. Or just reduce volume and cut out the WL and start switching to BW.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Take an off week if you need it, no biggie. Or just reduce volume and cut out the WL and start switching to BW.
Are you suggesting that BW strengthening is less stressful on the body, or that a new form of stress would be beneficial to him just for variety's sake? Just curious.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Kyle McHale

Profile:

no dude you play basketball relax its not a big deal. i played football and still do at semi pro level and never stop lifting weights you will be fine just keep your protien intake at a strong level and dont stress it
Old 08-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Are you suggesting that BW strengthening is less stressful on the body, or that a new form of stress would be beneficial to him just for variety's sake? Just curious.
I'm just saying it's ok if we wants to take a break. He's looking forward to basketball season and I wouldn't be surprised if he would be welcoming the time off away from the bar.

Yes, he will lose specific strength regarding the barbell if he takes off two weeks. If he doesn't come back to the bar in 3 or 4 months, working with a bar we'll crush him. 3 months away and his lower back strength will weaken. It'll suck getting under a bar. He might feel a bit more awkward doing the Oly lifts. And squats will suck. His wrists will feel it during the press.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

What do you plan to do in season?

What you are proposing will detrain most of the progress you have made. You SHOULD adjust your training schedule, but going to body weight stuff etc. is a bad plan.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Andrew J Johnston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
What do you plan to do in season?

What you are proposing will detrain most of the progress you have made. You SHOULD adjust your training schedule, but going to body weight stuff etc. is a bad plan.
Well it's just until I get up there. I'm doing BW workouts just for a week or so. Once I get up to school I have tons of more equipment an access to more training tools. Basically I just want to give my joints a breather, focus more on skills, agility, athleticism, an shed some body fat.