CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Rotem Ovadia

Profile:
Army Conditioning Program

Okay, so heres the deal, in about 4-5 months from now I have a physical test for the IDF special ops, which requires extreme physical fitness. Because I lack explosive power, I made a training program using the Hybrid program template.

Notes: I dont know how to do olympic lifts, I need to strengthen my shoulders so I added that in which means I would do 2 shoulder exercises for about 3x8reps each.

Day 1:
Handstand Practice
Shoulder Strength
Back Squat 3x8
Deadlift 1x12 + GHR 2x20
Short WOD

Day 2:
5k run TT

Day 3:
Muscle Up/Front Lever training (about 20 mins on the pull up bar)
C & J technique training
Deadlift 3x8
Long WOD
Core Training

Day 4:
Rest

Day 5:
Hand Stand practice
C & J technique training
Overhead Squat 3x6
Front Squat 3x6
Short WOD

Day 6:
Muscle Up/Front Lever training (about 20 mins on the pull up bar)
Bench Press 3x8
Interval Running (30-40 mins)

Day 7:
Rest

This is what I came up with, a month before the real thing I'll stop lifting weights and move to full body weight workouts and add a lot of HIIT and long runs.
Any comments/clarifications will be greatly welcomed!

~Rotem
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Rotem Ovadia

Profile:
Re: Army Conditioning Program

Guys if anybody thinks I'm over training or need to change the program in any way to fit my needs better then please say so and explain yourself.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

What are the standards you have to meet and where are you in relation to them?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Not familiar with that unit; but here's what I'd do in addition to the weight training.

I'd make sure you get in A LOT of pull-ups and push-ups; I'd also do some boots and utes runs, and runs with a pack (those aren't necessarily for speed, but longer slower runs for endurance). Bear crawls and low crawls would also probably help; and if you have access to an O-course I'd definitely hit that at least once/wk. Same with swimming.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
Rotem Ovadia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
What are the standards you have to meet and where are you in relation to them?
Well there are no standards, basically you have to be able to do 2k in less than 9mins, 20+ pull ups and 50+ push ups. However to get into any special ops unit you have to pass 3-6 days of hell (differing between the units). These days include running with heavy equipment, and sprinting and crawling for hours in extreme conditions (no rest, no food, rain/heat and more). Most of the people give up in the middle, but out of those who finish they still only take about 20-50%. In order for them to pick you, you must finish with adequate time the sprints and everything, always be one of the first people to finish and thats where my physical fitness comes along. Also crossfit has a very mental challenge which fits my army needs aswell.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
Rotem Ovadia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
Not familiar with that unit; but here's what I'd do in addition to the weight training.

I'd make sure you get in A LOT of pull-ups and push-ups; I'd also do some boots and utes runs, and runs with a pack (those aren't necessarily for speed, but longer slower runs for endurance). Bear crawls and low crawls would also probably help; and if you have access to an O-course I'd definitely hit that at least once/wk. Same with swimming.
Yeah I definately will get some crawls in, as for running with weight, the army clearly stated it is useless and it will only lead to injury when done alone, as for push ups and pull ups i will mainly utilize those a month or two before the tests. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotem Ovadia View Post
Well there are no standards, basically you have to be able to do 2k in less than 9mins, 20+ pull ups and 50+ push ups. However to get into any special ops unit you have to pass 3-6 days of hell (differing between the units). These days include running with heavy equipment, and sprinting and crawling for hours in extreme conditions (no rest, no food, rain/heat and more). Most of the people give up in the middle, but out of those who finish they still only take about 20-50%. In order for them to pick you, you must finish with adequate time the sprints and everything, always be one of the first people to finish and thats where my physical fitness comes along. Also crossfit has a very mental challenge which fits my army needs aswell.
Have you considered doing the programs that are set up for US SOF preparation? I'm thinking of Military Athlete, Mark Divine's program, or SOFWOD. It would seem that programming for oneself would be harder and less efficient than letting experts do it. There's also a "mental challenge" to doing what is assigned to me, vs. what I programmed for myself. These are obviously not geared to IDF SOF, but barring a training program set up for that, it might be the best you can do.

I am also somewhat skeptical about an exercise program developing "mental toughness" as opposed to requiring mental toughness as a prerequisite. That's just an opinion.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Rotem Ovadia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Have you considered doing the programs that are set up for US SOF preparation? I'm thinking of Military Athlete, Mark Divine's program, or SOFWOD. It would seem that programming for oneself would be harder and less efficient than letting experts do it. There's also a "mental challenge" to doing what is assigned to me, vs. what I programmed for myself. These are obviously not geared to IDF SOF, but barring a training program set up for that, it might be the best you can do.

I am also somewhat skeptical about an exercise program developing "mental toughness" as opposed to requiring mental toughness as a prerequisite. That's just an opinion.
The program sounds great I'll look into it!

Also, each time you pass your limits and keep pushing, its no longer a physical challenge, its all mental, thats how you develope mental toughness.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, I would lean toward saying do a program that's already been devised instead of making up your own. It looks a little... haphazard.

Specifically though for one example, I'd be leery of the 1x12 deadlift if you are planning on going heavy. In my opinion that's just asking for tweaking your back if you plan to do that much consistently.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Bryan Hood

Profile:

You should hook up with Joseph Pinson in Jerusalem (owns CrossFit Jerusalem) or the guys up in Herzilya. They can square you away. There is a bunch of knowledge between the two of them and they can help. I trained with the guys in Jerusalem for a couple months when I lived there.