CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Jason Kofmehl

Profile:
Rowing machines.

I know this is going to be a dumb question but I recently moved and had to change gyms. My old one had an old school rower but the new one has the c2 rowers. What does the slide scale do to the rower?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Rowing machines.

Slide scale? You mean the damper setting on the side of the fan?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Jason Kofmehl

Profile:

Yeah. Sorry. I understand its a damper but is 10 harder than 1?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5310 WFS

Higher damper makes it harder in the same way that taking off from a stop sign in 5th gear is "harder" than 1st gear. Harder doesn't always mean better in terms of maximizing power output. Plus rowing with too high of a damper with anything less than perfect form can lead to injury.

Also note that drag factor, not damper, is what you should really be worried about. Drag factor can vary for lots of reasons from rower to rower and day to day.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

And for almost all of us, it doesn't really matter that much. Just set the damper at 5 and forget about it

If you're trying to beat a PR by a few seconds then you can start obsessing about the damper, but by then you'd better already have great technique, good pacing, and a race strategy.

It's like ppl obsessing over tire or frame weights on bicycles, but they haven't lost the 20lbs they're carrying around their own waist...
Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Just set the damper at 5 and forget about it

This is exactly what I do....that way, not sure if 1 or 10 was harder, but figured this was safe..
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Higher damper makes it harder in the same way that taking off from a stop sign in 5th gear is "harder" than 1st gear. Harder doesn't always mean better in terms of maximizing power output. Plus rowing with too high of a damper with anything less than perfect form can lead to injury.

Also note that drag factor, not damper, is what you should really be worried about. Drag factor can vary for lots of reasons from rower to rower and day to day.
+1 this

Just replace the word "damper" with "gear". You can think of them as being synonymous right now. Just like on a bike, there is an appropriate gear for the situation. Since the erg is stationary and level, you probably won't need to vary the setting from workout to workout unless you have special needs/coaching.

Also, the drag factor is what you really want to look up. Looking at the drag factor is a much more reliable way of calibrating the erg than just looking at the numbers on the side. To make things simple for you, just set your machine to the same drag factor every workout. This will keep things consistent. I usually set mine to 128.

You can find instructions to do this on Concept2's website (WFS).