CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i rarely use any machine at all besides the occasional T-bar and narrow grip pull down.

i understand why not use machines and why people should use free weights, but everynow and then i hear that machines do have their place in certain situtations, rehaps is one example.

what are those legit situations to use machines for training ?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
Israel
Rehab is for quitters. But seriously, the infinite scalability of CrossFit makes it the ultimate in rehab as well as in elite physical preparation. Granted, many in the main stream/bodybuilding "fitness" communities will tell you there are appropriate times and ways to use machines, but I will tell you what I tell these people. There's a better way. For instance, one of my buddies insisted that when training for pull-ups in the marine corps it was better for him to do lat pull downs because he could do drop sets and thus do more reps. This is crap. He would have been better off to grease the groove, learn how to kip, do jumping pull-ups when he got tired, etc. Anyway, though some machines are better than others, there is always a better way, and thus, if your goal is the best level of fitness possible, then I don't see how you could ever justify using machines.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
when you don't want to workout at the gym machines make a great seat to watch T.V and you dont even have to stabilize yourself
Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Andrew Nashel

Profile:
I rest on machines all of the time, in between sets of weightlifting, say, in the power rack. Isn't that what they're for?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Ro Bostick

Profile:
a)rehab from injury. b)working on weak points. c)being a bodybuilder who is solely concerned about aesthetics and muscle separation. other than that, can't really think of any reasons for them. I've yet to come across a machine that could accomplish more than complete compound movements with free weights. In fact when you watch people who primarily use machines, they usually have to run through an entire circuit of contraptions to pretty much achieve the same thing they could have gotten from a single barbell or dumbbell-type of movement. I think its fine to incorporate machines or cable pulls into your training for a little variety and supplementation, but I would refrain from making them the focal point of your workout or using them over an extended period of time
Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
When wanting to develop isolated sub-maximal strength in a fixed pattern of movement.....if that's your goal, knock it out.

Even for BB purposes, Arnold never used machines....why should you.

PS. Cables are not considered machines and a useful tool.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
I don't have any issue with machines when working around an injury. Seven years ago I inadvertantly tried to cut off my finger and spent seven weeks with my left hand in a splint. Machines were of great assistance during that time.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
They are tools,learn how to use them and in circumstances of addressing rehab and for certain goals they will produce results.

That said if your program is CrossFit and sport on top of that then you will have enough complex compound moves to keep you well and trully happy.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Machines are not all bad, like everything, they have their place given the circumstances. But after all, I would prefer CF anyway because I always preffered free weights in the past.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Machines are better than nothing, and face it, nothing is what many would choose if they were given only the choice of doing CF. CF is difficult, demanding, and rewarding. Therefore it is not something "Joe Average" would willingly pick up as a regimen of regular use. Why do box gyms exist? Because fitness as defined by CF is above the norm. In this respect, and I say this regretfully, machines have thier place and are useful to many. Otherwise what would most do? The desire, motivation, knowledge, and guidance just aren't there for most so they choose the machine. I know this is true from experience. I use to do the gym routine thing and it is just easy to go in and do your routine, then head home with the satisfied feeling that you got your work out in when in fact you've done very little, if anything. Those of you who still use the gym for whatever reason know what I'm talking about. While you're in there doing your WOD you see lots of folks who are there just marking time. Don't read this as a cuff to others either please.