CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
All right, my wife wants an elliptical machine. In the recent past I've filled my garage with a crossfit bar, bumper plates, parrallettes, a platform, metal weights, plyo boxes-blah blah blah.
Obviously, I have no ground to stand on in a debate over the subject.
Does anyone know aof a good brand to look for? I know nothing on the subject, but I know I want to buy a product with a light commercial warranty. that way I'll know it'll last.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Luke Hope

Profile:
I just sold my Infiniti brand ST1100 elliptical... and bought a C2 rower. It was a good product, lasted for a few years and was still going strong when I sold it, and I did slim down on it. I'd say it was "light commercial".

Try to convince her of the utility of a Concept 2 rower though! Maybe she can try one out at a store alongside an elliptical... (if it was me I'd try not to mention that it's crossfit recommended, though...)
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
John;

It's my understanding the if you understand the formula for calculating Work, the EP is not the best bang for the buck, as you're not really moving much weight, the machine is. Google, work, power, strength and maybe you'll figure it out as I'm doing a crappy job of explaining, on the other, I'd to the Yes Dear thing and buy her the machine, keep her happy.
This from someone who is presently single and plans to stay that way.

Jay
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Brian Mansfield

Profile:
Everyday I have to explain my workouts (CF and Tri training) to my wife. Be happy she wants to work out and buy her the elliptical. You will both benefit.

On a side note, what's in that can that you are drinking that causes your head to smoke like that ?!?!?!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
Thanks Luke I will look into the infiniti brand first. Trust me, I have brought up the C2 rower many times, but it came down to the rower or the pendlay set.
I try not to attach the term "Crossfit" to anything I say anymore. I've Tried, but getting my wife to get into crossfit would be like trying to get her interested in the physics of "WORK RATE" And "POWER"- it's not happening. Crossfit is lke a dirty secret I hide from her in the garage- all she hears is the grunting and pounding.:wtf:
And Brian, Thats a Heineken I'm drinking. We were celebrating the Marine Corps Birthday In Al Quaim last November 10th when the ordnance disposal guys blew an IED in place outside of bases front gate. I just lined myself up under the cloud and tried to look cool. Obviously, I failed horribly...
Thanks everyone!}
Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
John,

Look into LifeFitness or Octane. They both make a really good product. If your wife is more petite the Octane would be a good bet as the pedals are closer together. The 'bones' of the different models usually tend to be similar. You end up paying a lot just to upgrade the electronics.

I agree with Brian -be happy she's interested in exercise. BTW, maybe Tabata intervals on the elliptical will serve as a good segue to better things...
Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
Thanks John. I have looked into LifeFitness. They're expensive machines, but I know they last forever. I'll take a look at both.
Tabata intervals are a good idea... Now if I can convince her that squats will strengthen the knees she feels she damaged during 8 years of gymnastics, We'll be golden. I've got her giving me tips on a proper handstand, so thats a very good start.
Now if i can only find a way to "accidentally" order a C2...
Old 05-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Michael Stehle

Profile:
I hate to admit it, but we actually have an Octane elliptical in our gym. As far as these things go, it 's compact, reasonably priced, and high quality.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 05-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
My better half picked up a Nordic Track CXT980 for $50 at one of those places, might be salvation army, where you can go and donate clothes and things for those in need. Took a bunch of old clothes the kids had outgrown, and came back with an elliptical machine.

Anyway, I was surprised at how strongly constructed the thing was. I dont think it is commercial grade, but it is made from really heavy duty steel and looks/feels like something that would last virtually forever.

This might be something you could look into if you could find one used, I think they are close to a grand for a new one.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
Thanks Glenn, I definately think garage sales or slightly used are the way to go. I just loked at a 2800 dollar PreCore Machne selling for 800 bucks on craiglist. Thats still more than i want to pay, but i know i can find a good deal out there somewhere.
By the way, The Crossfit bar and bumper plates I bought from you awhile back are doing great and kicking my butt on a nearly daily basis. Thanks again.
As soon as my son learns to lift his head I'll be contacting you about a william bar.
Maybe I'll give it a few years...