CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Cris Harbaugh

Profile:
First Time Posting - Squat Snatch Help - Family and Work friendly video

Hello. First-time poster, love the forum. ‎

Just started snatching about 6 months ago and would appreciate any feedback / advice. ‎

This video is a 115# snatch. I am 5'-10", 215#. My Max squat snatch is 115#, max power snatch is 155#. Max OHSQ is 155#.‎

Max Rep schemes are 1x3@135#, 1x5@125#, 1x30@115#.
Max C&J is 255# so I'm thinking I should be snatching more after more practice. Want to try and fix any ‎obvious technique errors.‎

http://youtu.be/b5qcaRxGm3Q

Thanks!- Cris
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: First Time Posting - Squat Snatch Help - Family and Work friendly video

The biggest thing I see is that you are sweeping the bar way in on your second pull and getting it hitched in your hips. This is causing you to lose all the power you may have generated on the second pull, makes the bar come out from your body on the third pull and makes it harder to pull yourself under the bar solidly.

You're doing this because you aren't extending your hips quickly enough after the bar gets past your knees. In the position you're in here, you should be much more fully extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	12945  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Also, I would recommend if you want to get good at weightlifting technique, drop the sets of 5 and 30 and do some heavy singles. Much more than triples and either it is too light to really feel or you will start to get sloppy.

The question I have is, if your max snatch is 115, how are you doing triples at 135?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Cris Harbaugh

Profile:

Thanks for the review!
The rep schemes are all power snatches (muscle snatches? I may be using the wrong term), but I can only squat snatch 115#. Did not seem right that I can max power snatch 40#, or triple 20# more than I can squat snatch.

Maybe Iím sweeping the bar too far back anticipating the pull under the bar into a squat? Iíll work on the hip extension and see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, eventually you shouldn't be able to power more than you can snatch - I believe the usually ratio is around 80% if you have a well developed snatch.

However, if you have learned the power snatch first there is a learning curve to being comfortable pulling yourself under the bar as opposed to pulling the bar all the way up. If you have a squat rack, I would recommend some snatch balance and tall snatches (snatch from the hip/power position) to take away the urge to rip the bar over your head.

Olympic weightlifting is much more about manipulating your body around the bar and much less about yanking the bar around.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
John Shaw

Profile:

it looks almost like a muscle snatch to an overhead squat. on the practice reps really focus on pulling yourself under the bar instead of pulling the bar up
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Stick with the bar for a while. You would be better off doing 30 singles with like 75% of max then doing one max set of 30.