CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Dan Andrews

Profile:
What makes a snatch a power snatch or a regular snatch ?

I understand that with the power snatch you don't squat below parallel with it, as far as I know, but when you are snatching with something relatively light, that doesn't require the full squat, though you are not intentionally doing power snatches, is it a power snatch or a snatch ? Or is it required that you break parallel in the squat for it to be considered a snatch and not a power snatch ? I know it doesn't matter all that much, and i couldn't find the answer by searching so, any clarification would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: What makes a snatch a power snatch or a regular snatch ?

Power (for snatch or clean)=catch in 1/2 or 1/4 squat

Allows for faster repetitions during metcons, but if your form is good your 1RM will be higher for a squat snatch or clean since you're pulling yourself further under the bar.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Yea, i get that. The thing that confused me was if you watched the 2 Isabel videos off the mainsite from a day or so ago, the WOD calls for 30 reps of 135 Snatches, and they both had insane times but were doing power snatches, so i was wondering what was up with that. Thanks for your input though.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Grace says 30x135 clean and jerks but is done fastest with power cleans and a quick push press rather than squat cleans and split jerks--in kinda the same way Isabel has evolved into getting the weight snatched overhead and to full extension as fast as possible. Occasionally workouts will specify squat vs. power for cleans or snatches, but if it just says "clean" or "snatch" you're not required to go into a full squat. Grace/Elizabeth with squat cleans is a far different WOD than with power cleans, so it doesn't hurt to be good at both. I'm guessing the guys who were used to blowing through Grace with power cleans had a hard time with the heavy Grace final WOD at the 2008 Games.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

In competition you don't have to do full snatches or full cleans, although basically everyone does since it's the way to lift the most weight. A power snatch still counts in competition as a snatch.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Jake Oleander

Profile:

the fastest way would be muscle snatch/muscle clean which are basically super power versions. there is NO third pull at all.