CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #41
Michael Cooley

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

If I've missed it, I apologize, but is anyone currently doing CFSB and posting to a workout log on the CF forum? It'd be very interesting to see how people have put the template into actual practice.

Best,

mpc
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #42
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Ok, I was gonna do this anyway. I'm gonna start a log, I started this CFSB thing on Tuesday 2.10.09. I will probably call it "Brian's awesome log."
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #43
Dan Strametz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Kempie,
Do you always do heavy metcons without exception or do you sometimes do short light ones like Coach Rut uses on his ME days, and do you ever do long ones (e.g. murph, filthy fifties, etc.) in this program? Do you ever do the painstorms anymore? Thanks.
Speaking from my experience, no not always. As far as the longer WOD's, maybe on the day coming off the rest day where there is no Heavy lifts. We still try and stay in the 20 - 30min range. Also, we have not done a Painstorm in awhile.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #44
Dan Strametz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Flynn View Post
Kempie,
Thanks for starting this thread, it has been helpful. Today is front squat day. Would you recommend follwing the posted WOD of Fran, or find something that is not a similar exercise?
Thanks,
Rob
Even though Fran will hit the front squats, scale Fran to be completed in no longer the 5min. So whether you scale the weight or the reps, 15-12-9 or 12-9-6. This should e fine. Sprint throught it, you"ll be ok.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #45
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Kempie,
Do you always do heavy metcons without exception or do you sometimes do short light ones like Coach Rut uses on his ME days, and do you ever do long ones (e.g. murph, filthy fifties, etc.) in this program? Do you ever do the painstorms anymore? Thanks.
David, heavy or light I focused on short and sharp generally but I did hit a couple of painstorms I must admit. So Angie, mini cindy, rounds of Nate or easy Mary were definitely on the menu but every now and again something longer is good for the soul!

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #46
Jared Ashley

Profile:

For the ascending ME sets, what's the ballpark percent of the max for that day that we should be using?

warmup sets, then: 80% - 90% - 100%? Or is that too much weight difference, or too little?

What about on a 5x3 set? closer together, like 80-85-90-95-100?

Any differences between these ascending sets for BS/FS/DL, vs. press?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #47
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

What if we are very strong with squats and deads and pullups are our weak link? How do you suggest we modifiy CFSB or what do we do instead?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #48
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
For the ascending ME sets, what's the ballpark percent of the max for that day that we should be using?

warmup sets, then: 80% - 90% - 100%? Or is that too much weight difference, or too little?

What about on a 5x3 set? closer together, like 80-85-90-95-100?

Any differences between these ascending sets for BS/FS/DL, vs. press?
Jared, once you've run through your introductory or ramp-up cycle then the focus is getting to your PR set. On the basis of your past experience select your build up sets to get where you want to be. One note however, too many sets at high percentage will be tough to recover from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Halbfish View Post
What if we are very strong with squats and deads and pullups are our weak link? How do you suggest we modifiy CFSB or what do we do instead?
Michael, two things. First, when you say very strong is that for 1, 3, 5 or for reps? Can you get through Linda unbroken or only resting cos you're breathing real hard? If so, maybe you could drop the squat work and hit the presses, bench and pull-ups real hard along with your deads because your dead can't ever be too strong.

If not, how about working the high rep back squats and deads but skipping the ME work. Also, throw in ME and high rep pulls, bench or whatever.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #49
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
What if we are very strong with squats and deads and pullups are our weak link?
I'm the opposite ... satisfied with my UB strength but not with squat and dead. I'm going to skip the presses and repeat this cycle: metcon - squat -deadlift - rest. Do you think that is too much?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #50
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
I'm the opposite ... satisfied with my UB strength but not with squat and dead. I'm going to skip the presses and repeat this cycle: metcon - squat -deadlift - rest. Do you think that is too much?
In a word, Ed, Yes. Remember that the goal is a weekly PR in the lifts, whether that's a PR in 5 x 3 or 3 x 5, and in addition a max number in the High Rep sets. We all discovered that recovery is unbelievably key no matter where you are in terms of age, strength, or experience.

How about a couple of options? Do straight Main Page WOD's on the other three days. Or do bench press instead of SP if that is an interest. At least for your first couple of CFSB cycles it's important to emphasize your recovery, or at least to explore your recovery ability. Better to discover that you recover BETTER than expected than to crash.

As one of the "crash test dummies" you can trust me on this one!

--bingo