CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Thomas Vita

Profile:
Hello to all who read this!

First, regarding the basic strength standards, i currently weigh 158-9 @ 6'0".

i pulled these numbers off the intermediate list:

Press - 129
Squat - 250
Bench - 187
Deadlift - 293
Power Clean - 180

here are my personal records from a couple months back:

squat - 195x5 (narrow stance, but it's the most i've done)
bench - 150x5x5
deads - 290x4
press - 90x5x5
rows - 135x5x5 (will replace these with power clean)

i've never trained steady for more than 2 months straight, but these numbers were from my last run of about a month, maybe a bit more, ending 11/29/06.

my question here is are the basic strength standards 1rm?

next, i've read here that getting strength up there is more important than jumping right into CF. since i'm pretty close as-is to the intermediate standards, should i aim for advanced before beginning crossfit, or would it be a good idea to just bring these lifts up to 5rm of the intermediate numbers?

my reasons for training are that i've been itching to do the Milwaukee rumble for the past few years, but my lifestyle hasn't exactly kept me in the mindset to bother until this past weekend when i decided i wanted to dominate the lightweight class (140-159). i can't help but think that i've got more than a decent shot if i train my off for the next year, and i don't want to bother unless i know i've trained hard. i'm not really out to prove anything to anyone but myself and this is an extremely personal goal.

ok, ok, enough already, right?

so in sum, (1) are the basic strenght standards 1rm? and (2) in training for amateur fights, should i jump into cross-fit with my numbers, or train for 6 months on strength via Starting Strength's method (keeping my weight to around 160 will likely slow strength gains for me), then move to cross fit?

and i guess (3) i read that if you want to improve, do it daily. i want those squat numbers up, and like to supplement single legged split squats in my training. would it be bad to do, say, 2 sets of 5 back squats first every day, and replace the squats in the SS program with the single legged squats (i love these!)?

also to note that i'll be hanging a heavy bag just acquired and will likely do a lot of bag work on Tues./Thurs. (off-days) in combination with some running and skipping.

i know it's long, and if you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read. i guess i'm just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who can help, especially since the CF philosophy is so appealing and i'll likely end up a lifer (did some psuedo CF type training of my own concoction before even reading about CF and was the most enjoyable training of my life).
Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
1) yes
2) just do a combination of lifting and crossfit, i.e. CF-Lift-CF-Rest
3) i recommend you take full rest days. Do not substitute in the SS program; everything is there for a reason.

my take, hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Just do the WODs for 3 months, modify as necessary. Get the form correct, make exercise a habit, get diet in order. In 3 months, see where you are. Evaluate, then modfiy if necessary. The most important thing is CONSISTANCY. Everything comes from that.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Michael Manseau

Profile:
do a search for crossfit total, that will answer your 1rm question.
Good luck with the rumble.
As Larry said, consistency is KEY.:Welcome:
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Thomas Vita

Profile:
thanks for the advice all.

for now i'm just going to do the WOD with what equipment i've got (just installed a pullup bar and some makeshift "rings" made of 1.5 inch pipe this past weekend, will post pics in equipment soon).

reason being that i'm now volunteered to help train a couple of friends who've never really lifted so i want them going on the Starting Strength program and i'll be doing a lightweigt version of that with each of them in addition to doing WODs.

bonus is that my pullup installation now allows for hanging of a heavy bag, which i've been waiting to have for years.

needless to say, i think i'll start up a journal here that will include WODs and workouts done while training. this is going to be a fun month!