CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Tyler Key

Profile:
Re: Core Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
The strength you are looking for comes from heavy barbell work: Squats, front squats, dead lifts and press all require the functional mid line strength that will transfer to Rugby.

Other work is things like weighted GHD sit-up and weighted back extension.

Pushing heavy sleds has to be good practice for the ruck.

Things like body weight sit-ups, planks and so on don't continue to develop ever increasing levels of strength once you master them. You just build more capacity to do the movement.
How would I go about programming the extra core work? Or just do what i feel like after the wod and cover all bases...? That usually doesn't lead to much progression however..
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I play rugby too, and I'm pretty convinced that being relatively strong on basic barbell work and stuff like weighted pullups and dumbbell rows has been the main reason I haven't dealt with any of the back/shoulder injuries that most of my teammates seem to suffer from on a fairly regular basis. And that's with me being an undersized loosehead prop at 100kg, and playing for all 80 minutes most games.

Following a program like GSLP or 5/3/1 with assistance lifts like rows, weighted pullups, hanging leg raises, GHD situps, ab wheel rollouts, etc. and some CF-style conditioning should be all you need. Neck harness work will also go a long way to preventing next-day soreness after scrumming and rucking. You don't have to get fancy with weights/reps/sets, just start with fairly low numbers and gradually build up.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I play rugby too, and I'm pretty convinced that being relatively strong on basic barbell work and stuff like weighted pullups and dumbbell rows has been the main reason I haven't dealt with any of the back/shoulder injuries that most of my teammates seem to suffer from on a fairly regular basis. And that's with me being an undersized loosehead prop at 100kg, and playing for all 80 minutes most games.

Following a program like GSLP or 5/3/1 with assistance lifts like rows, weighted pullups, hanging leg raises, GHD situps, ab wheel rollouts, etc. and some CF-style conditioning should be all you need. Neck harness work will also go a long way to preventing next-day soreness after scrumming and rucking. You don't have to get fancy with weights/reps/sets, just start with fairly low numbers and gradually build up.
There you have it. I don't think anybody else who issued a response plays or knows the demands of Rugby so that is probably the answer most worth dedicating your accessory work to.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

Hi I play basketball for 8 years and i can tell you that most effective for me were plank holds(normal plank,side plank,etc...)also core exercises on bar(like leg raises,knee rises,windshild vipers),also i would recommend to put into every your core workout hyper extensions (for lower back)
This is my opinion as a basketball player and an athlete who worked out only calistenics (i dont have any expirience with crossfit :/ )

Also I would appriciate if All of you could view my thread in "Starter" named ACOUNT VALIDATED. I could use some help over there
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well, I'll caveat my post by pointing out that I've only been playing for about a year, and it's entirely possible that I've just gotten lucky on the injury side of things. But I feel pretty confident in saying that being stronger hasn't hurt my game in any way, and it has to help in terms of minimizing injury risk.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Tyler Key

Profile:

Thanks for the replies everyone, shall work this out .