CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Joe C Thomas

Profile:
Why not for fun???

I have been reading a lot of the threads in this section lately and I am always surprised by the reasons people want to do Crossfit. I guess I'm not surprised by the reasons themselves, but what is rarely if ever mentioned.

FUN!!!

Yeah, I get that folks want to be in better shape, healthier, and yadda yadda yadda. But seriously, if you're going to devote so much time and energy into something, it should be because you have a great time doing it! Even if you suck (like me), you can't wait to go at it again.

Just my opinion, but if would just revert back to our 12 year old selves for a little and say, "What would be fun to do today? I think I'll climb a rope, and swing on a bar, and run as fast as I can! That will be awesome!" I think so many folks lose sight of that and get so focused on stuff like "I have to do every WOD as RX'd" or "I have to have a 300# back squat" or "I have to lose 10# by next week."

Not saying goals are bad, but for your next WOD, try having FUN! Laugh, joke around, play, whatever. It seems like way too many folks are so serious in the gym that they forget to enjoy the time they have with their friends and doing something that is a lot of fun.

Thought I'd share that observation.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Martin Rivera

Profile:
Re: Why not for fun???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
I have been reading a lot of the threads in this section lately and I am always surprised by the reasons people want to do Crossfit. I guess I'm not surprised by the reasons themselves, but what is rarely if ever mentioned.

FUN!!!

Yeah, I get that folks want to be in better shape, healthier, and yadda yadda yadda. But seriously, if you're going to devote so much time and energy into something, it should be because you have a great time doing it! Even if you suck (like me), you can't wait to go at it again.

Just my opinion, but if would just revert back to our 12 year old selves for a little and say, "What would be fun to do today? I think I'll climb a rope, and swing on a bar, and run as fast as I can! That will be awesome!" I think so many folks lose sight of that and get so focused on stuff like "I have to do every WOD as RX'd" or "I have to have a 300# back squat" or "I have to lose 10# by next week."

Not saying goals are bad, but for your next WOD, try having FUN! Laugh, joke around, play, whatever. It seems like way too many folks are so serious in the gym that they forget to enjoy the time they have with their friends and doing something that is a lot of fun.

I agree +1
<>< Philippians 4:13 thecubefitness.com (WFS) dsgear.com (WFS) virusintl.com (WFS)
Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

Excellent example here.

http://vimeo.com/34392386 (Link is WFS)

Somebody just trying things because it would be fun to try! And she got 3rd at the Games!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post

FUN!!!

if you have to workout might as well make it as fun as possible, agree. however, won't go so far as to say that most people will ever workout because it is what they consider fun. some things we do because we need to do them. dishes, laundry, mow the lawn, pay the bills, eat right, exercise. we do them because we need to and because we have self discipline. personally i do enjoy working out. for me it is eating right, i don't like eating right. would always rather eat pizza and drink soda than eat veggies. but yes i agree with your point, make it fun and enjoy life a little. really good post. thanks for reminding us