CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
Matt Rainwater

Profile:
Crossfit Games 11.2 Marks

I'm looking at the leader board for the second Open WOD and am having a hard time visualizing a person doing 16+ rounds and not fudging on their form. The top guy at my gym did 12+ rounds with little to no breaks, he was basically killing it the entire way. Does anyone one know where I can view a video of these 16 and 17+ marks? I'd love to pick up some pointers or tricks to up my mark. Best of luck to all.

Matt
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Games 11.2 Marks

Actually, I'm noticing a lot of down marks on the video submissions, probably due to the box jumps alone.

Unless I'm mistaken though, here's the standard per the video: Your hips MUST pass the plane where your hips would be IF you stood straight up on the box. With that, it's easy to see if a person is making a legit jump just by paying attention to an object in the background close to where the hips need to pass.

Granted, even with that, I'm seeing a few videos not even meeting that. One guy put out INSANE numbers (almost 16 rounds), but it's clear he's not opening up or passing that key height from round one onward and pushing up off the knees near the end. Guy was a beast though.

Kovács Lacee CFG Open WOD#2 WFS
Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Funny how every video within the first few pages is over 80% NO.....When you can scrutinize and pause video it will show things a little better. I'm sure the judging at affiliates is going to be less strict.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Funny how every video within the first few pages is over 80% NO.....When you can scrutinize and pause video it will show things a little better. I'm sure the judging at affiliates is going to be less strict.
Maybe... but I don't think anyone at my affiliate got close to 16 rounds...

Katherine
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Matt Rainwater

Profile:

The owners of my gym are very strict on completing the correct movements. My judge who happens to be the one of the owners of the box said he didn't count nearly a round because I wasn't coming to full extension. He would tell me "no" and I had to fix it for the rep to count. The bottom line is that when you have a judged sport there is going to be human error. The question is, is that error intentional, and what is going to happen to all of the video submissions that dont make the mark. My guess is that a good percentage of the top 10 performers are not doing the proper movements. That's why I asked to see video. If I'm wrong, which it wouldn't be the first time, I'll eat crow.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Charles Applin

Profile:

Something tells me next year there may be a requirement to video tape the affiliate wods. Nothing strict, just have a camera with a semi decent view of the participants. It offers two things: gives something guys can link to on Facebook or youtube. Give others a thing to look at for motivation. Shut up doubting Thomas's. Hold affiliates to a higher standard on top of giving a little free advertisement.

I feel like a jerk judging some of these videos cause I'm barely above mediocre (only 7 rounds plus change on this WOD). Still, shouldn't have to be able to do 12+ rounds to determine if someone is doing it correctly within reason.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Andrew Craig

Profile:

A frined of mine said he had seen the 16+ rounds or the 17 + rounds video and granted the guy was a beast but hip weren't opening fully on jumps. Another friend of mine pointed out that the top performers score means less than 1.5 secs a rep on average. I'm not sure that could be achieved for deads, normal push ups and tuck jumps without slack form.

As I say granted the guy probably has the ability to do it but form is form and needs to be met.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

I think the bottom line is that the pushup is a terrible competition movement. Way too hard to judge, and each rep happens so quickly, so really its a split second decision and the athlete is already on the next rep.
There's been tons of discrepancy in judging these movements. You can already tell from all the comments posted on videos, and just the fact that this thread is alive.
Everyone just move on and hopefully we have some easier movements to judge next WOD. The first WOD was actually quite good for that. Very easy to judge.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
This guy is obviously a monster. But yeah, I see the complaints about his box jumps. Also on his push-ups he's rocking like crazy and at the end his legs aren't even straight.

I've had to judge my buddy on these wods and it's pretty painful to judge. These movements are often so quick and there are multiple joints to "watch" at the same time.

The guy I was judging/videoing was so worried about people complaining that he stood up on the box each time instead of jumping off. That made the judging of those much easier, but still people can always nitpick. And of course standing up on the box each time definitely hurt his score compared to people doing it at an affiliate. Being filmed is a huge disadvantage here.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 04-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I think the bottom line is that the pushup is a terrible competition movement. Way too hard to judge, and each rep happens so quickly, so really its a split second decision and the athlete is already on the next rep.
There's been tons of discrepancy in judging these movements. You can already tell from all the comments posted on videos, and just the fact that this thread is alive.
Everyone just move on and hopefully we have some easier movements to judge next WOD. The first WOD was actually quite good for that. Very easy to judge.
^^^
That's how I feel about this one.

I don't really like the hand release pusups. I think that they were trying to get around judging if the chest hit the ground and instead traded off to a whole host of other issues.

To release the hands you have to go into an arched back position and there is a tendency to lose the core tightness of the plank. If you start pushing up right away then you end up worming. It is way too technical to judge properly. When I do them I try to lead with the butt and have a hollow rock position before pushing. This lifts my quads off the ground first so that I'm suspended between by chest and toes before pressing and even then I probably worm a few.

For the box jumps, opening the hips isn't the standard; it is getting the equivalent height of having the hips extended. Again, really hard to judge.