CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
Josh Bascom

Profile:
Should I scale the WODs or take forever doing them?

If Barbara takes me an hour, should I scale back the weight?

What about other timed WODs taking two hours?

Are there Crossfit guidelines on how long the WODs have to take before we should scale the weight back?

I feel like I'd maximize power output by going much faster with somewhat less weight, but maybe that's not the goal of every WOD.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Should I scale the WODs or take forever doing them?

How do you scale weight in Barbara?

If a WOD is taking you 2 hours, then yes, scale it. I would suggest the Brand X site for doing so.

(wfs)
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/v...a9cdcec3157228

Actually increased work capacity over broad time and modal domains is the mantra of CrossFit. What you need to work on in the (F*D)/t = P part is the t. Less time = more average power. So if you scale down and are doing it at a rapid pace, you are probably going to be doing more work than if you went Rx'd and it took you forever.

Look at the people doing it Rx'd and get an idea of the time - say the majority do Linda in 30-45 min. If you fall in that time frame scaled down, you are doing fine. Next time bump it up a little bit. Better to start scaled down and work your way up to Rx'd than to start at Rx'd and have workouts taking you forever.

BTW - My first Linda was 1 hour 2 min as Rx'd, and I thought I was going to die. Its now down to 24 minutes.

BTW - Welcome to the boards!

Last edited by George Mounce : 03-26-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Conor Buechler

Profile:

Scaling is your friend.

We're looking to maximize Fd/t. So, if you can cut the weight in half and take half as long, that's a toss up. But if cutting the weight by 25% would cut your time in half then yes, do it. You'll develop a feel for what's right.

(Caveats: advice applies to metcons, advice assumes that it won't leave you with gaps in the lengths of workouts you do, you need to hit them all)
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Martin Schap

Profile:

At one time I think it was 'decided' on these boards that 40 minutes was about as long as a WOD should take. If strength is enough of an issue that workouts are taking over an hour I would strongly suggest taking 6 weeks at the least and ideally 6-9 months to build strength using a program like Starting Strength. Even advanced athletes will improve work capacity by taking occasional breaks to get stronger.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Justin Baum

Profile:

i'm no expert but i'm not going to do a WOD that takes me over an hr. i scale a lot of the workouts including barbara - i did barbara lite in about 20 minutes and didn't even make it to round 5 because my head was spinning after 4. i'm still seeing tremendous results and for the important thing is to keep improving - doing more than i did the time before.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Josh Bascom

Profile:

Thanks all, you're saying what I was thinking. Scale back to ~40 mins. and work up to "As rx'ed".

I hope this will help bring the exhaustion at the end of workouts, which I take as a sign of intensity and work/time. Right now, I can only manage average fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Schap View Post
If strength is enough of an issue that workouts are taking over an hour I would strongly suggest taking 6 weeks at the least and ideally 6-9 months to build strength using a program like Starting Strength.
Interesting. Oddly, I don't think it's literally strength that's holding me back. For instance, under Rippetoe's Strength Standards, I'm at or near the Intermediate level on all lifts. My problem is doing moderate weight (pushups, pullups, squats, rowing, most CF exercises) more than 8 times, and then coming back and doing it again. No strength-endurance. But maybe Starting Strength should help that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Baum View Post
i'm no expert but i'm not going to do a WOD that takes me over an hr.
Me either, because how can a beginner maintain good intensity for thirty minutes, much less 60?