CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #21
Jason A Smith
Member Jason A Smith is offline
 
Jason A Smith's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brandon  MB Canada
Posts: 2,658
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Been doing Crossfit for about 6 years. I have owned the following for shoes

Asics 1170
Vibram 5 fingers
Nike Free 5.0
Merrell Trail Gloves
New Balance MX20 V1
Nano 2.0
Nano 3.0

I have also owned a couple pairs of lifting shoes in there as well and currently lift in Adipowers (the first gen red ones)

My next shoe will be the Metcon and if I feel like a different lifting shoe Romaleos.

The whole idea the there are "Crossfit" shoes is bizarre.

Of all of them I liked my Nike's the best followed by the NB thr n the Nano 2.0. I just don't like the 3.0 as much. Time for something different.

The Froning shoes should be named after Rich. I get his devotion to his faith and think it is great. Reebok is paying him because he dominates Crossfit
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
Snir Golan
Member Snir Golan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 752
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Been doing Crossfit for about 6 years. I have owned the following for shoes

Asics 1170
Vibram 5 fingers
Nike Free 5.0
Merrell Trail Gloves
New Balance MX20 V1
Nano 2.0
Nano 3.0

I have also owned a couple pairs of lifting shoes in there as well and currently lift in Adipowers (the first gen red ones)

My next shoe will be the Metcon and if I feel like a different lifting shoe Romaleos.

The whole idea the there are "Crossfit" shoes is bizarre.

Of all of them I liked my Nike's the best followed by the NB thr n the Nano 2.0. I just don't like the 3.0 as much. Time for something different.

The Froning shoes should be named after Rich. I get his devotion to his faith and think it is great. Reebok is paying him because he dominates Crossfit

off topic but i LOVE my Romaleos. also, i used to workout in the Nike Free and thought that they were good which is why i am excited about the Metcon 1. the thing is that i am also quite happy with my Nanos (2 and 3, i actually don't like the 4).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Jon Campbell
Member Jon Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Henderson  KY
Posts: 435
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
the shoe is named after a bible verse? i think it actually has the verse on it but that could be just a rumor.
I know. That's not bible thumping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #24
Tighe Crovetti
Member Tighe Crovetti is offline
 
Tighe Crovetti's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Collegeville  PA
Posts: 359
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
I know. That's not bible thumping.
When you are making an item that you KNOW tons of people are going to what to buy, that has NOTHING to do with religion in any way, and you starkly stamp its name as a Bible verse, is thumping, IMHO. What if it was called the "Praise Allah" shoe? Or if every pair included a pamphlet inviting you to the local LDS church? What if you dropped in an out of town box somewhere, and the head coach greeted you with, "Hi, have you accepted ********** as your savior?"

I'm an atheist and anti-religion, in general. It's thumping. The fact that you don't see it that way is part of the issue someone like me faces.
__________________
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
Michael Cook
Member Michael Cook is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 597
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
When you are making an item that you KNOW tons of people are going to what to buy, that has NOTHING to do with religion in any way, and you starkly stamp its name as a Bible verse, is thumping, IMHO. What if it was called the "Praise Allah" shoe? Or if every pair included a pamphlet inviting you to the local LDS church? What if you dropped in an out of town box somewhere, and the head coach greeted you with, "Hi, have you accepted ********** as your savior?"

I'm an atheist and anti-religion, in general. It's thumping. The fact that you don't see it that way is part of the issue someone like me faces.
I'm Catholic, and midly religious. I don't agree with the decision to name the shoe the "6:14", rather than the "Froning". To me, it is just a turn-off for the people who admire Froning's althletic abilitieis, and might think this is a good shoe, but don't share or don't want to visibly endorse his religious beliefs.

I also don't agree with the decision to release the shoe after the open starts. I think Nike did their timing right and Reebok missed it.

I would also like to know what improvements are made with the 6:14. Anyone know that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #26
Jon Campbell
Member Jon Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Henderson  KY
Posts: 435
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
When you are making an item that you KNOW tons of people are going to what to buy, that has NOTHING to do with religion in any way, and you starkly stamp its name as a Bible verse, is thumping, IMHO. What if it was called the "Praise Allah" shoe? Or if every pair included a pamphlet inviting you to the local LDS church? What if you dropped in an out of town box somewhere, and the head coach greeted you with, "Hi, have you accepted ********** as your savior?"

I'm an atheist and anti-religion, in general. It's thumping. The fact that you don't see it that way is part of the issue someone like me faces.
If you are a Christian then everything has to do with religion. They made a product, put a name on it, and will sell it. You either choose to buy it or not. No more no less. Rich isn't coming to your house hitting you over the head with his bible forcing you to put the shoes on. As a matter of fact you could go the rest of your life and never hear another word about the shoes. Reebok knows their customer base will be limited by doing this. They know guys like you won't buy the shoe and that's ok. If you're atheist I totally understand why you wouldn't. If they made a shoe called "Praise Allah" then again their customer base would be limited but I'm not getting upset about and claiming they are throwing Islam up in my face. If I knew going in there was a LDS pamphlet inside then so be it. Again still not throwing it up in my face.

As far as you box owner example, now your reaching. It's his box he can do what he wants. I have the choice to leave. That said this example is apples and oranges compared to the shoe name.

Its the name of a shoe that you have the choice to buy or not buy. You last sentence is beyond ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #27
Tighe Crovetti
Member Tighe Crovetti is offline
 
Tighe Crovetti's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Collegeville  PA
Posts: 359
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
If you are a Christian then everything has to do with religion. They made a product, put a name on it, and will sell it. You either choose to buy it or not. No more no less. Rich isn't coming to your house hitting you over the head with his bible forcing you to put the shoes on. As a matter of fact you could go the rest of your life and never hear another word about the shoes. Reebok knows their customer base will be limited by doing this. They know guys like you won't buy the shoe and that's ok. If you're atheist I totally understand why you wouldn't. If they made a shoe called "Praise Allah" then again their customer base would be limited but I'm not getting upset about and claiming they are throwing Islam up in my face. If I knew going in there was a LDS pamphlet inside then so be it. Again still not throwing it up in my face.

As far as you box owner example, now your reaching. It's his box he can do what he wants. I have the choice to leave. That said this example is apples and oranges compared to the shoe name.

Its the name of a shoe that you have the choice to buy or not buy. You last sentence is beyond ridiculous.
My last sentence was just proven accurate. You just emphasized that you do not see it as "thumping," and I still maintain that it is, and that disparity is a very real issue that anti-religious people face. Which part is "ridiculous?" I think maybe you're overstating, maybe I'm overstating, how "upset" I am by it. I'm not "offended" or "aghast" or anything else like that, but I am highly disappointed that a very NON-religious aspect of my life is having religion very glaringly brought in.
__________________
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #28
Bryan Selent
Member Bryan Selent is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 112
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
My last sentence was just proven accurate. You just emphasized that you do not see it as "thumping," and I still maintain that it is, and that disparity is a very real issue that anti-religious people face. Which part is "ridiculous?" I think maybe you're overstating, maybe I'm overstating, how "upset" I am by it. I'm not "offended" or "aghast" or anything else like that, but I am highly disappointed that a very NON-religious aspect of my life is having religion very glaringly brought in.
So then don't buy it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Jon Campbell
Member Jon Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Henderson  KY
Posts: 435
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
My last sentence was just proven accurate. You just emphasized that you do not see it as "thumping," and I still maintain that it is, and that disparity is a very real issue that anti-religious people face. Which part is "ridiculous?" I think maybe you're overstating, maybe I'm overstating, how "upset" I am by it. I'm not "offended" or "aghast" or anything else like that, but I am highly disappointed that a very NON-religious aspect of my life is having religion very glaringly brought in.
What issues do you face? Everyone is too sensitive. That goes for religious and anti. It's a shoe. No more no less. No one is forcing anything on you. No one is making you listen to hymns while doing a WOD. Don't like then don't buy it. You actually never have see it again if you really don't want to. If a person came into your box wearing a religious t-shirt are they bible thumping? What if a *** person came in with pro-*** shirt? Are they *** thumping (for lack of a better term)? Is it fair for someone that doesn't do crossfit to call you out if your wearing a crossfit t-shirt? By doing so are you pushing crossfit on everyone that sees you wearing the shirt? This shoe being named 6:14 has zero real affect on your life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #30
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: Reebok CrossFit Compete 6:14 shoe (the Froning Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
What issues do you face? Everyone is too sensitive. That goes for religious and anti. It's a shoe. No more no less. No one is forcing anything on you. No one is making you listen to hymns while doing a WOD. Don't like then don't buy it. You actually never have see it again if you really don't want to. If a person came into your box wearing a religious t-shirt are they bible thumping? What if a *** person came in with pro-*** shirt? Are they *** thumping (for lack of a better term)? Is it fair for someone that doesn't do crossfit to call you out if your wearing a crossfit t-shirt? By doing so are you pushing crossfit on everyone that sees you wearing the shirt? This shoe being named 6:14 has zero real affect on your life.
It's like the separation of church and state. There is just no reason to bring religion into the shoe market. That alone makes it a religious issue. As a fellow atheist I completely side with Tighe and see his angle. As someone with a completely different point of view I can understand your opposition to the argument and am not surprised you don't see his (our) point.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CrossFit Shoes, Reebok Nano 2.0 Michael Cuccia Starting 4 06-28-2013 10:15 PM
Reebok CrossFit Oly and Nano 2.0's for sale! Sean Hutchinson Equipment 1 09-27-2012 11:29 AM
Reebok CrossFit Nano Vs. Inov lite 195 Nate Mignot Stuff and Nonsense 7 05-11-2012 07:32 AM
Size question about the CrossFit Nano shoe Per Fredrik Saxvall Equipment 6 01-27-2012 04:07 AM
Reebok Crossfit Nano Review Kurt Thomas Hunt Equipment 20 01-20-2012 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.