CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Pull-up bar for a DIY-clueless person

Ok, I've absorbed some info from old threads in here, but I still need something of a pointer. Or three.

My man-cave (aka garage) has another garage on either side, and there are large wooden beams running across the tops of these. I mention this to illustrate that the wooden beam in this equation is a very sturdy thing indeed, and it can't come out of the wall or anything...

Anyway. I'm thinking of mounting a bar underneath it, and running it the width of the cave (so my wife can join in). Or option two is to have one or maybe two bars going from one beam to another. Haven't decided which will work best yet - might be better to split the weight, despite how tough the beams are.
My question really is what kind of thing would you use to mount a bar into wood, and have it totally solid? Please bear in mind that I am utterly without knowledge when it comes to construction of any kind.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Bill Houghton

Profile:
Re: Pull-up bar for a DIY-clueless person

I bought 1" galvanized pipe from Lowe's after reading a how-to on this forum. Both ends thread into a flange - I think it is called - that has 4 holes in it. I used lag bolts and bolted it to the ceiling. I have used it for about 3 months with no problems. I am 274 pounds. I don't do kip's yet so I may have to put something on it to brace it later on if the motion front to back shakes it. It sounds to me like you have an ideal set up. Keep your heights in mind as far as head room walking under the bar and enough room above the bar to not whack your head when you pull ups.

Hope this helps

Bill
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
JxCx

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
I bought 1" galvanized pipe from Lowe's after reading a how-to on this forum. Both ends thread into a flange - I think it is called - that has 4 holes in it. I used lag bolts and bolted it to the ceiling. I have used it for about 3 months with no problems. I am 274 pounds. I don't do kip's yet so I may have to put something on it to brace it later on if the motion front to back shakes it. It sounds to me like you have an ideal set up. Keep your heights in mind as far as head room walking under the bar and enough room above the bar to not whack your head when you pull ups.

Hope this helps

Bill
thats exactly what i did, i kip on mine like crazy... its been up for like a year without probs... but im pretty handy with all that stuff
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Neil Khant

Profile:

Check this thread out.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43733 WFS
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Thanks guys.