CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Jeff Yan

Profile:
"urgent" need for home pull-up bar specs and advice

I just found out that I may have a contractor come by on very short notice and he may be able to install a pull up bar in my apartment.

The bar will be situated in a relatively narrow hallway, so archer push ups on rings probably won't be possible.

Any advice I might need in terms of design specs?

What's are some ideal bar diameters?

Is there a specific kind of bar/pipe with a specific kind of finish I should look for at hardware store?

What do I need to consider for bar height? Unfortunately, I don't have the ceiling height measurements of my apartment off hand. I'm 5'6" and with a light hop I should be able reach a bar 87-91" off the ground). If I go sternum to bar, I'll need about 26"-30" clearance, and if I want a bar muscle-up, I'll need about 38"-42" over the bar.

Am I missing any other key considerations?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: "urgent" need for home pull-up bar specs and advice

Re: Jeff
Be sure you can hang fully from the bar in the bottom position. Deadhang, with toes dangling too.

As for the pipe, I like my 1" inner diameter galvanized pipe, but I'm 6'2 and could see how smaller people would find the grip too large.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Chad Skola

Profile:

I am using 3/4in and I kinda feel like I want to get a 1in instead. But as long as you are between those 2 you will be fine.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Joey Powell

Profile:

We use 1 1/4" plumbing pipe for guys. Less wear on the paws when kipping than 1". I just know to go to Lowes or Home Depot and it says 1 1/4" on the pipe. our Nu-Rail stuff is 1 1"14" as well. Works great.
We have 1" for dead hang chin-ups and the ladies.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I've been reading some bars have a 1 1/8 or a 1 1/4 diameter, although it's not specified if that's an inner diameter or what.

I just measured my ceiling height at 8'11"-9' (107"-108").

In shoes and on my tippy toes, my middle finger reaches up to 88".

And I made a mistake earlier in measuring from my chest to the top of my head. It's actually about 18"-19" to sternum, about 16" to mid-chest. Any idea how many extra inches of clearance I might want for safety (in case my head is tilted upward, I decide to grow an afro, etc.)? I'm thinking 2"-4".

My top priority (although not sole) question now is at what height do I want to balance ground clearance and ceiling clearance? At around the 88" mark, my toes may be grazing the floor or my scalp may be grazing the ceiling. So in which direction (higher/lower) should I err?

Maybe it's even a moot point to be discussing such bar-to-sternum clearance anyway. I can go to that height for practice, but I'm certainly not ambitious enough to aim that high during WODs (I estimate I usually go no higher than to the bottom of my neck/top of chest).

-----

By the way, I usually do a frog kick kip, so I may not need to have height for full hip/leg/ankle extension at the bottom of my hang.