CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Glenn Pendlay
Member Glenn Pendlay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wichita falls  texas
Posts: 684
Re: All show vs. All go

Not all of the local "bodybuilders" or chest and guns crowd are dysfunctional non-athletes. Yeah, some are, but some of these guys that most of us love to hate are actually in pretty good shape.

One example is a guy at the local YMCA I often see working out when we are at weightlifting practice. Guy is lean, with pretty wide shoulders, fairly big arms/shoulders, but obviously does not work legs. Maybe 6' tall and 185-195lbs... I am sure you know the type. Fairly athletic looking really, just overdevelped arms/shoulders for the rest of him.

Anyway, I see him on a regular basis, ALWAYS doing some sort of curl, or shoulder exercise, or using the cable crossover machine for chest. He works out for a long time, God only knows how many sets he does. I saw him doing curls supersetted with the cable crossovers one day, I swear he must have done like 30-40 sets of each... very little rest between sets.

I also noticed that he is not leaving the YMCA when he leaves the gym, he goes and plays full court pick-up basketball. He is an absolute terror, can dunk, can run and move like nobody's business. Guy is a hell of an athlete. And these guys play, all out up and down the court, for 1 hour, 2 hours, whatever. So they are in pretty darn good cardiovascular shape.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I see this guy rip off a set of 40 pullups... and he wasnt even slowing down at the end. Had to have been able to do at least 10 more if he wanted to. Im thinking wow, even when I was lean and in great shape for high school wrestling, I couldnt do 40 pullups.

And since seeing this pullup set, which to me was quite impressive, I have noticed that MOST of the guys (of which there are at least 20-30, if not way more) that are over in front of the mirrors and dumbell rack when we are across the room cleaning and jerking, actually are working pretty hard, even though its mostly arms and stuff, most of them are playing basketball before or after they weight train, and since ive been paying attention, I have noticed quite a few big sets of pullups,sets with 20 or more reps.

So anyway, yes bodybuilders are dysfunctional and evil, especially those that do chest and arms 3 days a week and never squat. However, if they can dunk, and run all out up and down a basketball court for longer than I can keep up a slow jog, and do 3 times more pullups than me, etc, they are evil yet pretty fit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Sean Rooks
Member Sean Rooks is offline
 
Sean Rooks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boulder  CO
Posts: 494
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Not all of the local "bodybuilders" or chest and guns crowd are dysfunctional non-athletes. Yeah, some are, but some of these guys that most of us love to hate are actually in pretty good shape.

One example is a guy at the local YMCA I often see working out when we are at weightlifting practice. Guy is lean, with pretty wide shoulders, fairly big arms/shoulders, but obviously does not work legs. Maybe 6' tall and 185-195lbs... I am sure you know the type. Fairly athletic looking really, just overdevelped arms/shoulders for the rest of him.

Anyway, I see him on a regular basis, ALWAYS doing some sort of curl, or shoulder exercise, or using the cable crossover machine for chest. He works out for a long time, God only knows how many sets he does. I saw him doing curls supersetted with the cable crossovers one day, I swear he must have done like 30-40 sets of each... very little rest between sets.

I also noticed that he is not leaving the YMCA when he leaves the gym, he goes and plays full court pick-up basketball. He is an absolute terror, can dunk, can run and move like nobody's business. Guy is a hell of an athlete. And these guys play, all out up and down the court, for 1 hour, 2 hours, whatever. So they are in pretty darn good cardiovascular shape.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I see this guy rip off a set of 40 pullups... and he wasnt even slowing down at the end. Had to have been able to do at least 10 more if he wanted to. Im thinking wow, even when I was lean and in great shape for high school wrestling, I couldnt do 40 pullups.

And since seeing this pullup set, which to me was quite impressive, I have noticed that MOST of the guys (of which there are at least 20-30, if not way more) that are over in front of the mirrors and dumbell rack when we are across the room cleaning and jerking, actually are working pretty hard, even though its mostly arms and stuff, most of them are playing basketball before or after they weight train, and since ive been paying attention, I have noticed quite a few big sets of pullups,sets with 20 or more reps.

So anyway, yes bodybuilders are dysfunctional and evil, especially those that do chest and arms 3 days a week and never squat. However, if they can dunk, and run all out up and down a basketball court for longer than I can keep up a slow jog, and do 3 times more pullups than me, etc, they are evil yet pretty fit.
Well said.

They still look like a keg on two toothpicks though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Steven Matheson
Banned Steven Matheson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma  CA
Posts: 629
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
GET TO DA CHOPPER!!!!
Get to da Choppa! wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Rafe Kelley
Member Rafe Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bellingham   Washington
Posts: 115
Re: All show vs. All go

My submission as far as all go WS/FS
http://www.matratz.com/wp-content/up...9/01/fedor.jpg

Sandow was great for sure and much more functional then a modern body builder but aesthetics were still a major goal. Fedor is all about performance and his level of performance is very very impressive.

Last edited by Rafe Kelley : 06-26-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Adding tags
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Matt Rexin
Member Matt Rexin is offline
 
Matt Rexin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria  BC
Posts: 275
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Not all of the local "bodybuilders" or chest and guns crowd are dysfunctional non-athletes. Yeah, some are, but some of these guys that most of us love to hate are actually in pretty good shape.

So anyway, yes bodybuilders are dysfunctional and evil, especially those that do chest and arms 3 days a week and never squat. However, if they can dunk, and run all out up and down a basketball court for longer than I can keep up a slow jog, and do 3 times more pullups than me, etc, they are evil yet pretty fit.
Intensity...that's the key word. It makes a world of difference. If someone is doing everything "right"(operative word) but not pushing themselves, and somebody is curling but giving it their all (intensity wise) then the one with the intensity usually ends up gaining the most. There was a great article on this somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Matheson View Post
Perfect.+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley View Post
My submission as far as all go WS/FS
http://www.matratz.com/wp-content/up...9/01/fedor.jpg

Sandow was great for sure and much more functional then a modern body builder but aesthetics were still a major goal. Fedor is all about performance and his level of performance is very very impressive.
I love how Fedor is surrounded by kettlebells. If we're getting into the supposed "doughy" looking fighters vs. the "jacked" fighters argument, technique is not something that can be measured by appearance. However, a lot of the top fighters are in phenomenal shape physically, and guys like Fedor and a "soft" BJ penn are a little more uncommon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Rafe Kelley
Member Rafe Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bellingham   Washington
Posts: 115
Re: All show vs. All go

No doubt there is a range, GSP and Lesnar are impressive physiques by any standards, Machida and Silva look fit though not impressive by body builder standards, but there are guys like, the emilienko brother, frank mir etc too mostly in the heavier weight classes but the certainly impress athletically without being impressive to look at.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
Jonathan Slater
Member Jonathan Slater is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sandbach  Cheshire
Posts: 468
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Matheson View Post
I love you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
David Gray
Member David Gray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Naples  Italy
Posts: 381
Re: All show vs. All go

I came across this yesterday and it says it all about then vs. now. My only question is, is the bar bending under the weight or did he take it pre-bent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arnold%2021.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	4529  
__________________
Scorn pain--either it will go away, or you will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
adam adkins
Member adam adkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington  KY
Posts: 761
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Not all of the local "bodybuilders" or chest and guns crowd are dysfunctional non-athletes. Yeah, some are, but some of these guys that most of us love to hate are actually in pretty good shape.

One example is a guy at the local YMCA I often see working out when we are at weightlifting practice. Guy is lean, with pretty wide shoulders, fairly big arms/shoulders, but obviously does not work legs. Maybe 6' tall and 185-195lbs... I am sure you know the type. Fairly athletic looking really, just overdevelped arms/shoulders for the rest of him.

Anyway, I see him on a regular basis, ALWAYS doing some sort of curl, or shoulder exercise, or using the cable crossover machine for chest. He works out for a long time, God only knows how many sets he does. I saw him doing curls supersetted with the cable crossovers one day, I swear he must have done like 30-40 sets of each... very little rest between sets.

I also noticed that he is not leaving the YMCA when he leaves the gym, he goes and plays full court pick-up basketball. He is an absolute terror, can dunk, can run and move like nobody's business. Guy is a hell of an athlete. And these guys play, all out up and down the court, for 1 hour, 2 hours, whatever. So they are in pretty darn good cardiovascular shape.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I see this guy rip off a set of 40 pullups... and he wasnt even slowing down at the end. Had to have been able to do at least 10 more if he wanted to. Im thinking wow, even when I was lean and in great shape for high school wrestling, I couldnt do 40 pullups.

And since seeing this pullup set, which to me was quite impressive, I have noticed that MOST of the guys (of which there are at least 20-30, if not way more) that are over in front of the mirrors and dumbell rack when we are across the room cleaning and jerking, actually are working pretty hard, even though its mostly arms and stuff, most of them are playing basketball before or after they weight train, and since ive been paying attention, I have noticed quite a few big sets of pullups,sets with 20 or more reps.

So anyway, yes bodybuilders are dysfunctional and evil, especially those that do chest and arms 3 days a week and never squat. However, if they can dunk, and run all out up and down a basketball court for longer than I can keep up a slow jog, and do 3 times more pullups than me, etc, they are evil yet pretty fit.
Sounds like someone has a mancrush!

On a more serious note, I said that classic BB is a legit method of training and is particularly effective in achieving certain goals. There is also no doubt that Classic BB will result in gaining a ton of strength. That is not what I was saying.

My point was, the picture represents the pinnacle of classic body building and the pinnacle of functional fitness. The question is what is best for you. To me, there is no question in my mind that training hard style or crossfit or any over functional fitness philosophy is more fun than BB. But as one crossfit affiliate has said, "our fun is not fun." Plus, there is no question that the hard style produces the type of strength that I want. Add that to the fact that I believe it also comes with a more attractive physique and the and to "what style should I train" is very easy to answer. FF is more fun (subjective), more effective(arguable but still objective), and produces a more attractive physique (subjective). It's only draw back is that it is damn hard, but I think that adds to the fun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: All show vs. All go

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Sounds like someone has a mancrush!

On a more serious note, I said that classic BB is a legit method of training and is particularly effective in achieving certain goals. There is also no doubt that Classic BB will result in gaining a ton of strength. That is not what I was saying.

My point was, the picture represents the pinnacle of classic body building and the pinnacle of functional fitness. The question is what is best for you. To me, there is no question in my mind that training hard style or crossfit or any over functional fitness philosophy is more fun than BB. But as one crossfit affiliate has said, "our fun is not fun." Plus, there is no question that the hard style produces the type of strength that I want. Add that to the fact that I believe it also comes with a more attractive physique and the and to "what style should I train" is very easy to answer. FF is more fun (subjective), more effective(arguable but still objective), and produces a more attractive physique (subjective). It's only draw back is that it is damn hard, but I think that adds to the fun.
Sorry...minor hijack.

CrossFit isn't hard!
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'll show you mine if...etc Eugene R. Allen Community 59 10-15-2013 09:40 AM
Why you should never show off! Neil Khant CrossPit 23 08-29-2008 07:05 AM
Bravo TV Show Keith Wittenstein Community 0 09-21-2006 04:01 AM
My little slide show David Easton Community 2 09-10-2006 05:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.