CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Joe Morden

Profile:
New Gym equipment for the garage gym

Looking to add a new piece to the garage gym. Looking at either a reverse hyper, or a strongman yoke. Both have their advantages and drawbacks and wondered if any of you have preferences between the two. Assume they are roughly the same cost and that I understand these are both "icing on the cake" purchases for the gym.

Some background:

I have never used a yoke before but really enjoy loaded carries, particularly in any season that doesn't have snow. I currently have a Strongman Frame, farmers walk implements, atlas stone/sandbags and a husafell stone. I also have a prowler and a sled with a couple 100 feet of 2 inch rope. The Yoke would just give a little variety to the loaded carries but i don't know how well it would do in the winter here in Michigan. I do loaded carries 2-4 times a week from spring to fall depending on my current goal(s).

I have only used a reverse hyper twice in my life and liked it. I think my lower back and posterior chain could always be stronger/better conditioned. I have tweaked my lower back twice over the last three years and do believe that if i work harder to strengthen this area my overall lifting longevity would be extended. I do have a regular hyperextension bench and a GHD. So again this would prob be redundant and "nice to have for variety". But I do think this would become a higher frequency of use machine similar to my dip bars or pull up bar.

Interested in opinions of the gang here.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: New Gym equipment for the garage gym

Strongman yoke. If you get the one from Rogue, it can also serve as another squat rack.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:
Re: New Gym equipment for the garage gym

I love my Y-1 Yoke, but based upon the equipment you already have, it sounds like the Reverse Hyper would be the best option.