CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:
Re: Whats up with bacon?

Actually, I dont eat shellfish or smooothskinned fish (catfish) either. Im in agreement that those poor beef cows raised in their own filth and injected with and fed nothing but chemical crap their entire lives are also,not great dietary choices. But I havent seen CrossFit shirts declaring beef jerky "meat candy"as is the case with bacon. Its whatever...eat your share of bacon AND mine!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Michael Dries

Profile:

I will agree that the whole BACON! thing is over done.

I think part of it is that conventional wisdom says bacon is horrible for you, when in reality if it's properly prepared and made from a healthy animal it's perfectly fine for you.

I think it's the Paleo cult's way of saying "f-u world, we're right you're wrong."
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Pig products, in general, are not clean. Pigs are filthy. They eat literally anything, and the toxins from the filth they eat stays in their systems
Sorry, this is wrong.

Pigs, like any animal raised for meat are more a product of HOW they are raised. Pigs are omnivores, like humans. When given appropriate space are not filthy, and will not eat filth(whatever that is).

and....bacon is delicious.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com

http://heritagefarmsnw.com/

all wfs
Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Grunwaldt View Post
the toxins from the filth they eat stays in their systems because they dont sweat or chew their cud
I'm not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure sweat/cud chewing is not the way toxic material is expelled from the body.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Richard Colon

Profile:

WFS

BECAUSE
Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bekolay View Post
I'm not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure sweat/cud chewing is not the way toxic material is expelled from the body.
Urine would have nothing to do with it....
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Actually, I dont eat shellfish or smooothskinned fish (catfish) either. Im in agreement that those poor beef cows raised in their own filth and injected with and fed nothing but chemical crap their entire lives are also,not great dietary choices. But I havent seen CrossFit shirts declaring beef jerky "meat candy"as is the case with bacon. Its whatever...eat your share of bacon AND mine!
I feel bad for your that you are depriving yourself because some idiots are telling you all this.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Actually, I dont eat shellfish or smooothskinned fish (catfish)
What's wrong with shellfish and smoothskinned fish? The first I suspect I know but I'm genuinely curious, the second is a new one for me.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
What's wrong with shellfish and smoothskinned fish? The first I suspect I know but I'm genuinely curious, the second is a new one for me.
Bottom dwellers for one thing- they eat the trash at the bottom of the water. Scavengers for another.

Concerning waste/toxins being eliminated- surely you all know urine and feces is not the only way that happens. Thats why we (humans) sweat. A pig’s digestive system, unlike a cow’s, is not created to filter toxins from its system. So the toxins work their way through the pig and are deposited in the animal’s flesh—especially in its fat. The pig itself is actually able to sustain very high levels of toxins. As such, it can eat just about anything (like other dead animals, feces, trash...you get the idea) There is nothing in the animal’s digestive system, or the processing of the meat, that removes these toxins.
Also, the time it takes for these things to be digested/absorbed is another factor to consider. For most animals, digestion is slow, taking 12 to 24 hours- allowing the animal’s sytem time to filter toxins, poisons and parasites from entering the bloodstream and being deposited in its flesh. Also, because many foods can build muscle, greater time is required for that muscle to form.

The same is not true for a pig. Much of what it eats can be absorbed much more quickly, like, 4 hours. Not only does this mean that toxins are not filtered, but also most of the flesh takes the form of fat! Which is why farmers can raise a 300 lb pork belly in no time.

Even in humans, fat is where most toxins are stored. Typically, when the body does not know how to deal with a substance, it surrounds it with fat and stores it to keep the rest of the body safe. The same is true in pigs. While they have other methods of dumping extremely deadly toxins from their systems, the highest concentration is in the fat tissue.

Marcus, the links you posted are very interesting. I think its great there is a healthier alternative and I would imagine pasture raised pork is pretty hard to find and expensive. But that is good info to have. And I agree with you 100%- animals are a product of how they are raised, but really, how many pigs are raised like the ones in the links you provided?

This thread wasnt intended to become a debate on the cleanliness of pigs. I know of only a handful of non-Jewish people who, like myself, have decided to go pork-free because of these reasons. I get it- "bacon taste good. pork chops taste good." (Pulp Fiction, btw) Its a matter of choice and conviction. Thats all. No judgement on my part. All I wanted to know was if there was an actual REASON everyone was obsessed with bacon or if it was a joke. I see now it is a joke, yet something you baconites take very seriously, lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Michael Pollak

Profile:

I personally deplore the way most pigs, cattle,poultry are raised/ slaughtered, so I avoid commercially available pork products as much as possible ( as well as beef,poultry)... In Florida there are tons of small independent farms ( 2nd biggest cattle producing state) so I buy 1/4 or 1/2 animals and butcher them myself

That being said, bacon is amazing I have more of a problem with the nitrates and sugar content of store bought bacon.... Natural raised clean pork belly fried or roasted.... Let me at it!!!