CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:
Re: Golf exercises ???

Since getting into snatches and OHS, I've been knocking the ball a longer way with less effort, staying solid in my stance.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Spencer Provow

Profile:

Outside of the obvious of practicing your short game 2 or 3 minutes to every minute you spend practicing you long game, i would say that simply following the WOD has been the most beneficial training program for golf i have found. Flexibility, especially in you posterior chain is extremely important for your game. Forcing yourself to maintain proper posture while exercising is also extremely important to your game due to the direct relationship to your set up and maintaining proper posture throughout your swing. Since i started following the WOD just under a year ago i have picked up about 15 yards with my driver and about half a club with my irons. It is actually amazing how beneficial CF is to golf! CF has made me much stronger both mentally and physically, and they say golf is about 90% mental! I am a much better golfer today than a year ago when i finished up my collegiate golf career. I practice much less now but through staying pretty consistent on doing the WOD my body is much less likely to fatigue during a round causing me to get tired, out of rhythm, and make bad swings. I actually attribute much of my winning the TN State Match Play last summer to CF! I love golf! I am very glad to see there are some other golfers in this community!

spencer
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Jack Gayton

Profile:

I'm pretty far from a "good" golfer, but I do love the sport. I have played two rounds this season and have noticed a few major improvements since starting CF.

1. Stamnia. I used to be pretty beat by the end of a loop. Now, I feel like I could go another 18.

2. Better posture as mentioned above, also much better flexibility.

3. More mentally focused. Being able to suck it up and bust through a brutal WOD just seems to translate into other areas.

I still have some major issues to work on, but I feel more relaxed and fluid on the course. It seems like I have more awareness of what my body is doing and I just feel more athletic.

Personally, I agree w/ posters above regarding the OHS and deadlifts. Also, I have been doing shoulder dislocates and I feel like I can get a much better shoulder turn now.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
Personally, I agree w/ posters above regarding the OHS and deadlifts. Also, I have been doing shoulder dislocates and I feel like I can get a much better shoulder turn now.
Hey Jack - I am trying to figure out how dislocates would actually help with shoulder turn. I would think it would more so be the ability to create more width in the golf swing because your shoulders aren't as tight, not really more shoulder turn, as that is more related to torsial flexion. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of golf anyone else watching this today? One of the best tourney's I have ever watched.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post
Hey Jack - I am trying to figure out how dislocates would actually help with shoulder turn. I would think it would more so be the ability to create more width in the golf swing because your shoulders aren't as tight, not really more shoulder turn, as that is more related to torsial flexion. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of golf anyone else watching this today? One of the best tourney's I have ever watched.
You're probably right now that I think about it. Admitted novice here. I still feel like they are beneficial, as is most of the stretching I do before the WOD.

I tivo'd the tournament and avoided tv, internet and all my friends all day so I could watch the playoff last night. Incredible. I know Rocco was the feel good story, but I just continue to be amazed by Tiger. The focus he can generate on the golf course is unbelievable.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #16
Shawn Hultquist

Profile:

thankyou so much for all the input. I will do more oly lifts after a short rest for a cool down.

Shawn