CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
Jowee Secore

Profile:
How to get from Obese to Healthy

I was recently 360 lbs April 13, 2008. I have dropped to 346.2 lbs as of 5/1/08. I started my first week with no exercise just eating fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. That brought me down to 345.2 in 9 days. On the 8th day I did start working out (Starting Strength). I have lifted weights on and off my whole life and really enjoyed it. So I wanted to be able to do crossfit workouts (never have been able to do a real pull up or pushup even when in my best shape) so I thought it would be good to build my strength and hopefully shed some more pounds while in the process. I have a couple of questions:

While doing starting strength I started at / am at now in second week
185 squats / 245
135 bench / 145
255 DL / 275
95 SP / 115
105 Clean / 110 (still working on form - cannot get the bar to rest on chest)

I have never felt better, nor had more energy in my life, than since I started this. I want to do cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays but should I? Would that affect my rest too much?

Since I started SS I have gained weight and not changed my eating much other than adding meat protein back in. should I gain weight being 350 lbs? During my first week of SS even though I gained weight I did lose 6.25 inches total from my waist, arm, chest, & hips. I measured my neck, upper leg and calf and have not lost anything there yet.

I just started really tracking my diet:
http://fitday.com/webfit/publicjourn...Month=3&Day=30

April 30th went like this: 2595 calories, 138 fat, 117 carb, 240 protein.
Should I really try and eat 360 grams of protein? Should I try to lower my fat or carbs or raise them? If my diet bad? I try to eat 6 times a day, small portions.

Can I or should I do more exercise? I would like to work out 5 days a week. My goal is to lose about 5.25 lbs per week. To be under 200 lbs by November 13th 2008. What might be the best way to do that and gain strength?

I need help to make sure I do not screw this up and would like to go the best possible route to end up in the position I want, in the shortest time, I am patient, but I do not want to take 10 years. I want to be in good health, able to do the workouts of the day, and be at my perfect weight whatever that may be. I think it will be around 200-220 lbs. for the way I want to look.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and assist me!
Current weight 346.2 lbs 5/1/08
Goal Weight 199 lbs 11/13/08
Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: How to get from Obese to Healthy

Well it really comes down to what you are eating, and you are eating too much. (I'm guessing here, because I don't know your height).

Your goal weight is 199 pounds. If you don't eat as if you were 199 pounds, you'll never be 199 pounds. Thats the secret nobody seems to tell anyone. People can argue this all they want, but its true, the universe and the human body work to what you tell it to. If you want to be 199 pounds but tell it to be 250 pounds by eating that much you'll be 250 pounds.

Will it suck? Sure, because you're body is used to eating that much. But we humans are lucky in that we have willpower, which is stronger than cravings and strong than silly desires. If you will it, it will be. Remember this, because it is also an important lesson of the universe. But you have to act on that will, therefore, eat to what you want to be, don't eat to what you are.

For a 199 pounder you need to be eating roughly - 139g of protein. You wonder how I got that? Well I used the Zone method of determining a CrossFitters activity level of .7.

199 x .7 = 139. 139 / 7 = 19.8 or rounded 20 blocks if you were on the Zone. That would put you at about 1840 (+200-300) calories a day (139g protein, 180g carbs, 60g fat). Yes you can live on this. Yes you can perform well on this. Once you get to 199 pounds, then you adjust with added fat to your diet to maintain.

So you are eating too much. Strength and mass are proportionate to a point. The best CrossFitters are very strong, but not necessarily big (OPT is around 170 pounds with a huge squat for his weight). He could add a lot of weight and get stronger, but he'd lose out on metcon. Remember CrossFit isn't making you the best at everything, its making you really good at everything.

Nutrition is the basis of everything. I'd suggest slowing moving towards a diet consisting of Paleolithic choices (pick one thing at a time to get rid of that isn't Paleo each week, i.e. get rid of legumes...week later get rid of dairy...week later get rid of grains...etc). This will at least at the start cause the fat to melt off like butter on a sidewalk in Texas at 1200 on July 4th (lol that was a long example). Protein should be from a variety of lean meats (grass-fed is best), fish (wild), or eggs (free-range). Lots of vegetables, make fresh fruit more of a dessert item than a staple. Watch out on nuts and seeds as they are a ton of fat, a small handful is usually enough at any one time (which ends up being about 1/3 of a cup for most people) and packs a ton of energy.

Last edited by George Mounce; 05-01-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Congratulations on the changes you've made already!!
Slow and steady.... I think the hardest part was deciding to make the change.
You've found Crossfit, a great place to get to your goal.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Colleen Quigley

Profile:

Great start - as you continue losing 5 pounds a week may not be realistic. Once you get closer to your goal it will slow down.

Keep posting, start a workout log!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Great post! You can do it, just be patient and stick to what you're doing.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Spencer Provow

Profile:

Welcome Jowee!! It is always good to see a fellow Tennessean! Just remember it is not a race, and performance/weight/energy will fluctuate day to day. Just work hard and stay positive! Don't live on the scale daily because what it comes down to is how you perform and feel not the number on the scale. I am very proud that you are making some huge steps in order to have a healthier better quality of life!! Please keep me updated on your progress. If you are willing to drive I believe a crossfit affiliate gym in Maryville is around 20 miles away from you. Also talk to a lady here on the boards named Susie Rosenberg she has an amazing story truly inspirational here is a link to her blog http://www.susierosenberg.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Spencer
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Andrey Kovalenko

Profile:

Welcome! Just follow the WODs add some running and cardio, eat healthy and remeber it's a step by step process. The result's will slow down but the would be happening anyway. Year from now you will find that 199 was easy.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Andy Gann

Profile:

Jowee,

Maybe sometime we should cruise down to maryville to the CF affiliate down there.

http://www.crossfitchf.com/schedule/

You can do it man - I'm right here w/ ya!!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

I agree with George here... well most of what he says. I'm studying nutrition right now and he's right. you are consuming too many kcal. If your ideal goal is 199, then eventually you can get there, but dont shoot straight for it. start eating as if you want to be 300, when you get to about 315-310, recalculate for 275, once you get to 290-285, go down to 250. If you do too much at once, it will be alot harder to keep it up.

It's all about baby steps. If you are interested in loosing more faster, talk to your doctor about it. I won't recommend following their "high carb, mod protein, fat" diet that they'll tell you about. But find out where they'd recommend your kcalorie intake. Then do your own research.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I would suggest that at 199 lbs you would have no more than 190 lbs of muscle and that is very optimistic.

Do the math and figure you need roughly 0.7 grams of protein per lb of muscle I figure 132 grams George at 139 so we are both close. Instead of going on I will say just re-read George's post.

IF you are eating what you say, you should not be gaining weight. I will assume it may be a fluctuation of water weight.

Do not follow Rips diet suggestions in starting strength, they are not meant for someone over 350lbs, they are meant for a 150 lb teenager.

Read a lots of old nutrition posts.