CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey,

I'm wondering if someone should take probiotics if they have an infection and are on antibiotics. If someone was in hospital on antibiotics, should the doctors be putting them on a probiotic as well?

I've done some reading through google searches and have come up with "yes's" and "no's", so i'm wanting to try and get a better final answer..

Also, i've heard that when taking a probiotic in addition to an antibiotic, it's best to use lactobacillus reuteri which is resistant to a number of common antibiotics. Is lactobacillus reuteri found in lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria?

Would the best bet be to take a mix of all different types of friendly bacteria, i've seen some products for Forbiotics (is this an isolated good bacteria?) and stuff.. but would people recommend this product? (it's kinda the only one i've been able to find in Australia that doesn't come in a chewable form)

W/F safe http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--112...mins_Nutrition

Also, is all probiotic pills good for people who are lactose intoleratant? Just because the only food sources i've seen to obtain friendly bacteria include dairy and soy products.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I take probiotics and find them to be very efficacious. They do help with dairy (although my intollerance is not severe and my consumption is low). As for brands, I use Garden of Life which, I purchase through Amazon. My experience with the product mirros that of the reviewers on Amazon.

If I was prescribed an antibiotic, I would stop taking the probiotics while medicated and DEFINITELY start back slowly as soon as the treatment course was complete. I have no evidence to support this it just seems logical to me. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can answer this with more authority.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nikki,
Depending on the patient and their antibiotic history, I will have them take a small dose of probiotics during their antibiotics, typically having them take their antibiotics in the morning and their probiotics in the evening. I have everyone take a hefty "loading dose" of probiotics when the antibiotics are completed.

Lactobacillus reuteri is a different strain of probiotic from acidophilus. The more strains, the better (diversity is always better in the gut).

The probiotic I use and recommend (Essential Formulas Professional Formula) is dairy and soy free. We can see about getting you some out in Australia, or maybe you could start distributing it there since it sounds like the probiotic situation in Oz isn't so great...just an idea.

Good probiotics make it past the digestive juices just fine, they have been doing that for all of time! It's the petri-dish grown ones, devoid of food supply, shoved into pills, that are so weak that they die if they aren't refrigerated or enterically coated.

I can't make any comment on that product, as I can't see the strains nor the prebiotics included.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks Kurt. I think i may be able to buy Garden of Life probiotics on line here. I'll check it out .

Thanks Garrett, i probably should have linked to a site with a bit more info on the product i listed, this is a bit more detail i found:

One of the strongest and most convenient medical strength acidophilus available in Australia, Inner Health Plus contains, 25 Billion Good Bacteria Per Capsule at Manufacture. Suitable for anyone who wants to maintain their intestinal health, Inner Health Plus is approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) during antibiotic and contraceptive pill use.

INGREDIENTS:
Each capsule contains:
25 Billion Good Bacteria
12.5 Billion Lactobacillus Acidophilus (NCFM) Organisms
12.5 Billion Bifidobacterium Lactis Organisms
67 mg Colostrum Powder - bovine

If this helps understand whats in it... is it any good?

Although i have only really searched online for probiotics, which doesn't always list everything i can find in stores here. I'm pretty sure i'm un-able to get that probiotic you recommend, i googled the whole name and nothing came up (for Australia). What are your thoughts on this one http://return2health.net/Shop/viewproduct.aspx?ID=348
(W/F safe).
It looks similar to the one you recommend, although it may contain synthetic vitmains i'm not sure, it just lists certain vitmains and minerals in it, which is hard to break down specifically like that from foods in it's natural form because there are so many nutrients.. anyway, your opinion would be appreciated!

(Message edited by Shnikkidrum on May 19, 2007)
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Nikki Young

Profile:
So i went to the nutrition shop today to see what probiotics they had available. The only one they had was the Inner Health Plus i linked to above. On the lable it says to store between 2-8degrees Celcius. I asked the store owner why it needed to be stored in the cold, because if it can't stand a warmer environment it wouldn't be good when inside our bodies. He said it wasn't so much keeping it cold, but keeping it away from UV light, i said but there's UV light in the fridge.. then he said it was more the sun's UV and the bottle (being a darker shade) helps protect from the UV.. so he kinda condradicted himself there...

At the end of the day, is this probiotic going to be pretty usless if needed to be stored in the cold, or would it be ok?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Nikki,

I used to take a "cold storage" probiotic but abandon it becasue I figured that at some point (either in shipping or handling) it will get warm so, what's the point. My take on supplements has (right or wrong) always been: there is optimal and there is reality. Do your best.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Curtis Black

Profile:
I've been using an Australian product called In-Liven. I don't know that much about how favorably it compares to other probiotics that have been mentioned on the board here but it's worth a look.

Unfortunately, the web site kind of sucks (Flash heavy) and they require you to make an account to buy things but you can skip past the sign in page and just browse if you're interested in reading about the ingredients and what not. You can find it on the products page under MiVitality -> In-Liven.

They also offer lots of other "Green" products. The reason I use them is that all (or almost all) their products are certified 100% organic to Australia's FOOD standards. I haven't tried but I guess that means you can eat their cosmetics and soaps and stuff...

http://zentsu.mionegroup.com/

PS: That link is an affiliate link. If you end up purchasing they'll know you were referred by me. It doesn't change the prices or anything like that. It's just the way they do things.

PPS: Oh yes, work/family safe.