CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
John Casey
Member John Casey is offline
 
John Casey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: oxford  ohio
Posts: 457
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

I have a hard time believing how many of you have so much confidence in the human's physical prowess. Heck, I often question our mental superiority! Just kidding on the last part...sort of.
__________________
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. ~Lewis Carroll
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

John,
I think it would be Lesnar due to size/reach. (Maybe not intelligence) Lesnar is a BIG dude. He grabs the chimp gets chewed and slashed to ribbons but can throw/choke/crush the chimp to death. IF he gets the chimp, I think Cheetah would dodge him all day until Brock got bored and left the arena.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
Ben Sparks
Member Ben Sparks is offline
 
Ben Sparks's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 256
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

Chimp will grab both wrists with his hands and strangle / pummel the face with his feet. No contest - no way to break that grip.
__________________
I get most of my carbs from barbecue sauce
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #24
Remco Heerdink
Member Remco Heerdink is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Utrecht  Netherlands
Posts: 121
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
John,
I think it would be Lesnar due to size/reach. (Maybe not intelligence) Lesnar is a BIG dude. He grabs the chimp gets chewed and slashed to ribbons but can throw/choke/crush the chimp to death. IF he gets the chimp, I think Cheetah would dodge him all day until Brock got bored and left the arena.
A cheetah wouldn't be able to dodge him, he'd just maul him to death.
Cheetahs ain't that great in small spaces...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remco Heerdink View Post
A cheetah wouldn't be able to dodge him, he'd just maul him to death.
Cheetahs ain't that great in small spaces...
No, Cheetah, Tarzan's chimp. Maybe Bear would be a better reference, maybe not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
Casey Raiford
Affiliate Casey Raiford is offline
 
Casey Raiford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ft Meade  MD
Posts: 1,364
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

Remember the chimp that attacked a woman in Connecticut a few months ago?

Quote:
While her friend was being attacked, Herold was unable to pull the primate off. She then called 911 before stabbing the chimp with a butcher knife and hitting him with a shovel. Neither fazed Travis, who police said had been like a child to Herold.
Then there's this little nugget:

Quote:
In 2005, a different chimp escaped from California's Animal Haven Ranch and chewed off a man's nose and genitals.

During an interview after that attack, wildlife expert Jeff Corwin told CNN's Anderson Cooper that chimpanzees are "absolutely powerful."
Now, its a safe bet that neither of the victims were MMA fighters, but it does speak to the innate ferocity in even a lifelong domesticated chimp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
Pat Amato
Member Pat Amato is offline
 
Pat Amato's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island  NY
Posts: 32
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

I think a chimp would fight how a human would fight in a life or death fight with another person. From reading accounts of hand to hand fights from WW2 there seemed to be a lot choking, eye gouging and biting. I think it is reasonable to assume that a large human male with extensive martial arts training and actual hand to hand combat experience on the battlefield would have a shot at beating a chimp. Perhaps some military special ops guys would have a shot? What we lack in raw strength dont forget we make up for in far superior motor skills. Also dont count out our untapped resevoir of primal adrenaline. Its no secret human beings are capable of extraordinary things when there life is on the line.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
Steve Yu
Member Steve Yu is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Yosemite  CA
Posts: 33
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

This is a totally fun topic, thanks OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Amato View Post
What we lack in raw strength dont forget we make up for in far superior motor skills.
Watch this video: (Mostly WFS, but graphic ape eating monkey.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQepG7sD6vk&feature=fvw

Tell me, do our "far superior motor skills" allow us to engage in mortal, hand-to-hand combat in the tops of trees? Uhhhhh, no. I'm confident there isn't a human alive that has the grip strength, agility and strength to weight ratio to negotiate those trees the way those chimps do.

At about 1:58 in the video is when the combat kicks in. Both monkeys and chimps display unbelievable strength, power, explosiveness, agility, coordination, accuracy and balance. At one point, a monkey directly engages a chimp, an opponent 2-4 times his size. My guess he's protecting his family. Valorous.

OT: Interesting how the chimps share at the end of the video.

"Also dont count out our untapped resevoir of primal adrenaline. Its no secret human beings are capable of extraordinary things when there life is on the line."

Wouldn't the chimp also benefit from the "primal adrenaline" and thus be capable of "extraordinary (chimp) things"? So for the case of Lesnar vs. chimp, this is a push.

Someone else posted a video of a chimp rag-dolling a zoo-keeper. Granted, the H. sapiens in this video goes at about 175(?) and most likely was not trained in hand-to-hand combat, but it is illustrative of the nature of the interspecific combat we're talking about here or at least how a chimp fights.

Let me digress:

A few years ago, a coyote killed our cat in our back-yard. My wife, our two Australian Shepherds and I pursued the 'yote and his partner into the boulders to recover the cat (which we did). For about 10 minutes we were engaged in a running battle with these two coyotes and I will forever have the following video clip burned into my mind: Tobin, 55 pounds, capable of jumping six-foot fences, 20-mile runs, climbing ten foot boulders, catching squirrels (that's not easy), fighting bears (truly), endless games of "fetch the stick" in the Merced River, just an awesome dog, seriously gifted, chasing this coyote. And T is just hauling butt, he's giving it EVERYTHING he's got: 100%, full-bore, intent, commited, if he catches that coyote he's gonna' tear it a new one. And the 'yote is floating, I mean this coyote looks bloody effortless as he's staying just ahead of Tobin over boulders, over logs, up and down this boulder field. Clearly, the coyote is only giving about 70-80% effort, he knows what he's doing and he is OWNING this fantastically fit, capable, conditioned and agile DOMESTICATED dog.

My point being that as well-conditioned, trained and bad-@ss that Lesnar may be, he's going against some-one who is just as bad-@ss AND who is living the life. When it comes down to it, Lesnar is domesticated. Metaphorically, at the end of the day, he comes home and lays down in front of the fire. That chimp is in the sh#t, 24/7 and is physically, emotionally and psychologically hardened in a way that most of us can't comprehend.

My money's on the chimp.

BL vs. doberman: BL all the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #29
Rafe Kelley
Member Rafe Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bellingham   Washington
Posts: 115
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

First of all understand sport combat is not life and death combat the techniques are different. Chimps do not try to knock each other out with punches or use limb locks to force submission. The gouge eyes, bite with huge fangs, rips testicles off and literally rip of hands and feet.

A chimp is approximately twice as strong as man of a similar weight, it has fangs its legs are far more agile, it is much faster chimps can run 35 miles an hour and as better co-ordination and likely high inate aggression humans are basically a domesticated species selected for lower agressiveness.

Brock is close to 300 pound and an exceptional athlete he is probably as stronger or somewhat stronger then a large male chimp he has large weight and height and reach advantage. He is not trained as killer however while the wild chimp is. If were picking the best chimp fighter in the world it would probably have half a dozen or more chimp kills and many monkey kills in its history.

I think Brock loses but I think its not an unfair comparison. Depends on context as allways does brock get to specificaly train for this encounter does is he pyschological prepared to have his flesh riupped and torn to bleed like a pig. Lets switch the scenario its night in jungle, brock is not in fighting shape? Context matters.

Chimps have been known to attack people in the wild so this is not a completely unrealistic idea.

BTW both brock leznar and the chimp would own the doby, Dobermans are very poor guard dogs to light, weak jaws and easily scarred off, if you hit a doby back it will usually run. A real man stopper like a caucasian ovtcharka would be more interesting match up, Dogs are frighteningly fast and a 170 pound ovcharka specifically breed to fight man or wolf to the death hitting you at 30 plus miles and hour with a bit forces like a hyaena is not a fun idea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #30
Remco Heerdink
Member Remco Heerdink is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Utrecht  Netherlands
Posts: 121
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley View Post
First of all understand sport combat is not life and death combat the techniques are different. Chimps do not try to knock each other out with punches or use limb locks to force submission. The gouge eyes, bite with huge fangs, rips testicles off and literally rip of hands and feet.

A chimp is approximately twice as strong as man of a similar weight, it has fangs its legs are far more agile, it is much faster chimps can run 35 miles an hour and as better co-ordination and likely high inate aggression humans are basically a domesticated species selected for lower agressiveness.

Brock is close to 300 pound and an exceptional athlete he is probably as stronger or somewhat stronger then a large male chimp he has large weight and height and reach advantage. He is not trained as killer however while the wild chimp is. If were picking the best chimp fighter in the world it would probably have half a dozen or more chimp kills and many monkey kills in its history.

I think Brock loses but I think its not an unfair comparison. Depends on context as allways does brock get to specificaly train for this encounter does is he pyschological prepared to have his flesh riupped and torn to bleed like a pig. Lets switch the scenario its night in jungle, brock is not in fighting shape? Context matters.

Chimps have been known to attack people in the wild so this is not a completely unrealistic idea.

BTW both brock leznar and the chimp would own the doby, Dobermans are very poor guard dogs to light, weak jaws and easily scarred off, if you hit a doby back it will usually run. A real man stopper like a caucasian ovtcharka would be more interesting match up, Dogs are frighteningly fast and a 170 pound ovcharka specifically breed to fight man or wolf to the death hitting you at 30 plus miles and hour with a bit forces like a hyaena is not a fun idea.
Hell, fighting any decent sized animal with my bare hands is not a fun idea, before you get them down they'll hurt you bad.

Humans always overestimate there own physical abilities when they compare themselves to the wild. We thrive based on our society, cooperation and brains. Physically we are much weaker because biology is a balance scale. Get better in one area, get worse in another.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lyoto Machida wants to fight Lesner Ned Ferguson CrossPit 10 05-18-2009 12:06 PM
Secret of Chimp Strength Stuart Buck Stuff and Nonsense 20 04-09-2009 08:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.