CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Kevin Walsh

Profile:
recovering from rotator cuff surgery

Hello,

I'm 1 month post surgery for a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and bone spur removal.

My doctor told me that the surgery was successfull and he anticipates a full recovery and a return to all previous activities. My physical therapist says my shoulder is responding well to therapy with ROM improving after every session.

My doctor and physical therapist are both taking a very conservative approach to my rehab and keep telling me to be patient. I'm limited to walking on a treadmill and air squats. It is becoming frustrating watching all my muscle and fitness gains disappear.

I'm interested in other people who has or is recovering from a similar surgery, and what activities/excerises they are involved in.

I'm 49, and in excellent health.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Cliff Miller

Profile:
Re: recovering from rotator cuff surgery

hi kevin. tomorrow is my rotator cuff surgery date. will post here in a week or so and let you know how it is going.

i am 52 have been x fitting for 3 and a bit years (5 days a week) and have been hitting the upper body work hard for the past 6-8 weeks once it was confirmed that i will be having surgery.

i had subcromial decompression done to my other shoulder just over 2 years ago and have gained just about all that strength back just not the range of motion. i injured my right shoulder at tough mudder last june and did the typical guy thing and ignored it for several months till it got to the point of not being able to ignore it anymore.

i have a plan worked out with my coach that starts monday with me doing lower body work with the sled or bands for the next 6 weeks. he is a wonderful coach that takes much delight in pushing us farther than we thought we could go. he is also very creative in working around injuries for all of us in the gym.

i also have physio starting tuesday with one based in our box. we will take it slow at first but gosh darn it summer is comming and i am not going to miss out on having fun because i am recovering from shoulder surgery again.

will keep you updated. cliff
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Proceed with caution, but this is how we would rehab IF YOU WERE A PATIENT AND/OR MEMBER OF OUR AFFILIATE. I don't know anything about your condition, and recovery at all.

First introduce ROM exercises, and some light traction.
We'd work on specific rehab for the shoulder; particularly thoracic spine mobility, scapular stability. Including opposite shoulder KBS, and farmers walks with both arms.
If that was improving as expected we'd move onto KBS, deadlifts, ring rows.

Let me reiterate...this would be for MY patients that I treat. Can't speak for every post surgical shoulder on the board.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Kevin Walsh

Profile:

Good luck with your surgery Cliff, keep us posted!

I was scheduled to compete in my first Tough Mudder in Jacksonville in May. My PT laughed at me when I asked him if I would be ready for the tough mudder. I guess I was expecting a little too much!

What kind of band work will you be doing for your lower body?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Kevin Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Proceed with caution, but this is how we would rehab IF YOU WERE A PATIENT AND/OR MEMBER OF OUR AFFILIATE. I don't know anything about your condition, and recovery at all.

First introduce ROM exercises, and some light traction.
We'd work on specific rehab for the shoulder; particularly thoracic spine mobility, scapular stability. Including opposite shoulder KBS, and farmers walks with both arms.
If that was improving as expected we'd move onto KBS, deadlifts, ring rows.

Let me reiterate...this would be for MY patients that I treat. Can't speak for every post surgical shoulder on the board.
Thanks Brian,

I see my PT 2x's a week. He works on my ROM while on a table and he has me doing pulley work. I do PT at home at least 5x's a day consisting of pendulum swings and external rotations with a plastic pipe. At 6 weeks post surgery he will introduce new exercises.

That's awesome to have a physical therapist that's a crossfit affiiate!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
Thanks Brian,

I see my PT 2x's a week. He works on my ROM while on a table and he has me doing pulley work. I do PT at home at least 5x's a day consisting of pendulum swings and external rotations with a plastic pipe. At 6 weeks post surgery he will introduce new exercises.

you can go to my website to see my typical protocol for rotator cuff repairs www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Kevin Walsh

Profile:

Thanks Sean,

I visited your website and found it to be very informative. I was glad to see that my therapist is following much of the same protocols that you follow.

Do you use hydrotherapy for your patients?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Kevin Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
Thanks Brian,

My apologies Brian, after visiting your website I now see that you are a doctor. Your patients are lucky to have a doctor operating a cross fit affiliate.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Russ Monzon

Profile:

hey Kevin.. i had surgery on February 1st that sounds a lot like yours - RC / labrum repair and subacromial debridement. i just turned 48 and have been crossfitting for about a year and pretty active before that (volleyball, surfing and training in mma)

my doc and PT are very conservative as well but "get" crossfit. so i'm limited to pendulum swings, passive stretching and some easy scap squeeze type exercises for now - more to come later. i've gone to the "box" to spin on the airdyne with one arm and work on hip and ankle mobility (i have some knee pain that i've been dealing with too).

yeah, i'm a little frustrated too about the loss of fitness, muscle and strength especially since i had been modifying WODs to compensate for my injured shoulder for some time before the surgery. i am glad, though, to be on the road to recovery.

i hope your recovery is going well Kevin! feel free to PM me or post or whatever if you wanna compare notes on this journey back to crossfit..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Kevin Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Monzon View Post
hey Kevin.. i had surgery on February 1st that sounds a lot like yours - RC / labrum repair and subacromial debridement. i just turned 48 and have been crossfitting for about a year and pretty active before that (volleyball, surfing and training in mma)

my doc and PT are very conservative as well but "get" crossfit. so i'm limited to pendulum swings, passive stretching and some easy scap squeeze type exercises for now - more to come later. i've gone to the "box" to spin on the airdyne with one arm and work on hip and ankle mobility (i have some knee pain that i've been dealing with too).

yeah, i'm a little frustrated too about the loss of fitness, muscle and strength especially since i had been modifying WODs to compensate for my injured shoulder for some time before the surgery. i am glad, though, to be on the road to recovery.

i hope your recovery is going well Kevin! feel free to PM me or post or whatever if you wanna compare notes on this journey back to crossfit..
Thanks Russ,

I have my 6 week appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning. Hopefully he'll have me lose my sling. I looking forward to him letting me begin light running. Until now he has only permitted walking on the treadmill and very easy biking and light lower body work, nothing of course what I was doing prior to the surgery.

Sounds as though your rehab is following a similar protocol. Hang in there, it gets better everyday!

All in all I'm very pleased with my recovery. I heard so many horror stories prior to the surgery I was becoming fearfull.

What kind of mobility work have you been doing for your hip and ankle?