CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Justin McCance

Profile:
severe allergies

Hey All,

In my bid to get healthier, I have sucked my girlfriend into the mix. We go grocery shopping together and both make a conscious effort to eat healthier. The only problem is she's severely allergic to all raw fruits and vegetable and most nuts. She can still eat them cooked, just not raw (or undercooked). I was just wondering if anyone on this site might have some advice to make up for the nutritional deficit that comes from not being able to eat these things.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Jay Strine

Profile:
Re: severe allergies

Although I don't doubt you about your girlfriends allergies, I was surprised when I read it, that is one I have not heard of before. Can she eat dried/dehydrated fruit? If not, I don't know about the fruit. As far as veggies, my wife and I have steamed or cooked veggies every dinner meal. We usually mix it up. Try to steam a variety of different veggies each meal. We usually eat raw veggies with our lunch meal in the form of salads. Steam or cooking does not take long and is easy. My only suggestion would be to cook or steam veggies for both. Just thinking outside the box, maybe search online or some cookbooks for low sugar, cooked fruit type recipes.

Good Luck

Jay
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Jay Strine

Profile:

Here are some websites on cooked fruit, hope this helps. And I have educated myself and understand more about that allergy now. Like I said I did not doubt you, I was just surprised.
Agian good luck

Jay

http://italianfood.about.com/od/cook...ewed_Fruit.htm

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=429277
Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
adam adkins

Profile:

It sounds like your GF has Oral Allergy Syndrome. OAS can be an exacerbation of another allergy so she may get some relief from a ragweed, grass etc...shot.

She could be reacting to common pesticides so she may consider trying local and organic with DR approval.

She could be reacting to the skins of these fruit and veg so she may have more luck with items (such as citrus) that are peeled or peeling everything.

if none of this works, usually heating to just 80-90 degrees will do the trick so she may have luck with microwaving the item for just a few seconds.

I am not a doctor. I am a lawyer. So don't try anything I suggested until you see a real doctor.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Justin McCance

Profile:

These are all pretty good suggestions. I know I didn't believe her at first either, it's definitely an extreme case of allergies. Obviously I don't want to kill her so I wouldn't do anything she's not comfortable with/is obviously a bad idea. She's much more allergic to fruit then veggies, she can eat dried fruit/have fruit cups/juice if it's been pasteurized. Steaming more veggies is definitely a good idea though we'll have to figure out how long to steam it for as if it's under cooked it makes her "itchy."

Oh and Jay those websites are great I think I'll surprise her with one of those recipes!

Last edited by Justin McCance; 08-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: checked out the websites