CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Severe Doms

Because of work, I've been taking some time off from the WOD. Yesterday I found some extra time, and did a scaled Tabata Something Else. BIG mistake!

By the end of it, my elbows couldn't extend all the way without some work ... not painful, but tired, sore, and lacking about 5 degrees of extension. Later in the day, I iced in full extension.

In the middle of the night, I woke up with elbows that could only extend to about 90 degrees! And I could tell my left lats were mad at me too! I took some ibu, and finally fell asleep about an hour later.

This morning I rubbed some arnica oil on them and have worked them to extend further, probably lacking 15 degrees. I'm icing right now (yes, I'm talented, typing and icing at the same time!). And they're starting to get swollen.

Any other suggestions for me? Other than to take it easy next time!! Thanks.

Amy
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Severe Doms

You have Rhabdo. See a doctor.

The swelling is a bad sign. It could restrict blood flow or nerve conduction to the extremities downstream. If you notice any tingling, lack of circulation, cold, blue, numbness, or anything like that, you should probably go to the ER for treatment. Look for the brown urine too.

Drink lots of water, and the swelling should go down in anywhere from several days to 2 weeks, depending on the severity.

A doctor will run a CPK test to measure the severity of your case, maybe give you an IV of fluids, and maybe test your kidneys to make sure they're not being damaged.

See a doctor!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

I'm interested to know the outcome Amy....keep us posted and good luck!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Seriously worried, keep us posted, Amy.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Amy Crawford

Profile:

I did go to the doctor and had some blood drawn for CPK. Those results won't be available until tomorrow morning. She prescribed some flexeril, which I'm about to take. I had to go to work this evening to cover a jv football game (yeah, great example for my high school athletes, and oh so effective at my sports medicine job!!!), and I didn't want to sleep through that.

The nurse practitioner didn't seem too concerned about my kidneys, just my comfort. We'll see. Hopefully the CPK won't be too elevated, and I'll start healing quickly. I have a varsity game to cover tomorrow night, and as the only athletic trainer for the team, I have my hands very full. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks for all the kind words!!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

Do some very gentle light stretching to try and restore some ROM. Keep pushing the fluids as well
Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

>.> hope she ended up all right.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bourdage View Post
Do some very gentle light stretching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kaminski View Post

Drink lots of water
Though your case is more serious, often some workouts will leave me pretty painful. There was a workout 250 squats and 50 muscle ups... I did jumping muscle ups as well and my legs became EXTREMELY tender. I often work through pain but it hurt for anything to touch them or for them to stretch. Drink LOTS of water and try to move them as much as you can. The movement with push the fluids through your tissues and the water will help wash down all the chemicals that create the swelling. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Steven Crawford

Profile:

I know this is a very old thread, but I also know that Amy survived her bout of severe doms/mild rhabdo, whatever it turned out to be, and is still around the boards This makes me happy!

I find myself in a very similar situation. I did the WOD from 090223, 4 rounds of rowing and push presses. I subbed rowing for SDHP (20kg), and powered through. Felt fine (exhausted) at the time and after finishing, but after 12 hours, and a sleep, I thought I had severe DOMS in my biceps, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Now, 36 hours post WOD, I fear its something a little worse. I have full ROM in my elbows, but to be honest, it kinda hurts to fully extend. Flexing isn't so bad, and I have no problem with pronation/supernation. As far as I know, I'm not displaying any other symptoms of rhabdo, no swelling, no bad urine, and I'm well hydrated (as always).

My question is, should I be more worried about this, and how long would you expect this to last? Would be great if Amy, or anyone else who's been in this position could comment on their experience
Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I had the same thing as Amy four years ago and it went away after about four days. I didn't know about rhabdo so I never sought medical attention (my husband is an ER doc and didn't really know about this kind of rhabdo either). You should be fine, but I wouldn't do any pullups or anything to irritate it for another few days. If I remember correctly, I was able to work out again once the range of motion and burning pain was gone, but it took a good four to five days. I had the same 90 degree angle range of motion problem. Yours doesn't sounds as bad, but my rule of thumb with training on DOMS is that if it doesn't go away during your warm-up, then don't train on it.