CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-23-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
sofrgr

Profile:  
Coach,

Just wanted to let everyone here know that this program stinks. I cant stand it.

I am a US Army Special Forces officer. With this type of career top fitness is a must. Over the years I have tried a multitude of fitness programs have always taken fitness seriously.

I just found this program a little while ago and finally decided to give it a try. I have been doing this program for about a week. Actually I am a week behind so that I can have a weekly schedule in advance.

Now for why I don’t like this program. 1. It showed me that by body weight to strength ratio is pitiful. 2. Demonstrated that my functional strength is also pathetic. 3. I thought I was in good shape but the WOD for the last week have put a hurting on me (I am ashamed to even post the scores). 4. This program completely blew out of the water all the old misconceptions I had about fitness and the shape I am in.

I am returning from a long deployment and I chalk some of my current fitness level to that, ie less than optimum nutrition, limited ability to work out, etc. But that only explains part of it, I also realized today that I have been kidding myself for years about my fitness and the programs I have been using.

All I can say is, Coach where were you and this program 6 years ago when I was getting ready to go through Special Forces Assessment and Selection. SFAS is a physically demanding three weeks and hard to prepare for. SFAS requires a lot of functional core body strength, endurance, stamina, cardio fitness, and flexibility. You need these elements not only to pass the course but also to remain healthy and survive during this three weeks of pain. Without a doubt your program is the best way that I have found to to get in condition for this. So everyone I run into now who is getting ready to go to selection I tell them to use this program to get them ready. Actually I am telling everyone about this program.

So I am going to stick with the program and as far as nutrition I am following the Body for Life nutrition program, six meals a day, protein and carb at every meal and at least two portions of vegetables daily. I had great success with this nutrition program a year ago. I am expecting to see some great results over the next months. Also I am looking at doing a 6 on and 1 off routine. I like to save Sundays for church. Does that sound okay or should I attempt to take two days off a week?

Coach thanks for an excellent product. The WOD a couple of days ago didnt look that hard on paper but by the end of it I was on the floor certain that I was going to die. I have been humbled. Keep it up.

Any advice for a newbie besides suck it up and drive on.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 06-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Sofrgr,

Welcome to CrossFit. I'm just a couple months ahead of you. CrossFit has been the best thing to ever happen to me in terms of fitness.

Regarding the 6 on/1 off routine--that's pretty hardcore. If you can do it and continue to get the results, then I'd say go for it. However, I think in one of the CFJs (CrossFit Journals), Coach said that if one can't do the 3 on/1 off schedule, then he recommends the 5 on/2 off (generally Saturdays and Sundays off), which has produced favorable results in Crossfit practicioners. Something to consider...

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 06-24-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Sofrgr,

Welcome! I know what you mean about wishing you had heard of CrossFit years ago.

Coach recommends for newbies to 1st establish consistency, 2nd intensity. These workouts will chew you up and spit you out. Guaranteed.

Here's a great post from Coach -

We have seen the world’s toughest men with tears running down their faces at the prospect of another workout. That is neither our intention or desireable. Sorry.

The WOD is designed to exceed the capacity of the world’s best athletes. If you go at it 100% every day, you will not survive. I can guarantee it. The workouts are tougher than flesh and blood.

The design of the workouts owes much to maximizing the breadth of stimulus and consequently fitness while simultaneously minimizing orthopedic and metabolic debilitation. Though certainly related, this is for me, still distinct from engineering designed to avoid overtraining.

You, Robb, Derek have learned how to modulate/moderate your efforts to survive and benefit from these workouts. Many won’t.

I wish I knew how to formalize and systematize an approach to optimizing return on effort (fitness) and eliminate the possibility of overtraining. I don’t think it’s possible. The art of intuitive moderation still trumps the science of peridodization (I’m being very generous in referring to the “science of peridodization.”)

My recommendation is to establish consistency then gradually increase intensity. I’d suggest someone “cruise” through the workouts for the first month with the goal being to just survive then gradually, incrementally turn up the heat.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Derek

Profile:

Hey Sofgr,
Its good to see some SF guys coming into the CrossFit light! I am trying to get the 20th group to take a look at using the CrossFit program as our full time PT course.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
sofrgr

Profile:  
Derek,

without a doubt crossfit is the way to go for SF and like I said before this program is tailor made for those guys getting ready to go to selection. I just wish I had known about it before I went.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:31 AM   #6
Derek

Profile:

sofrgr,
When you get a chanc e-mail me @ Derek@crossfit.com
Old 06-25-2003, 05:48 AM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Sofrgr, I just stumbled on crossfit today, referred to me as an excellent program for any high speed SOF school preparation.

I will be attending my country´s counterpart to the USN´s BUD/S (almost exactly like it) and crossfit really seemed like the universal training regiment that I need. To top that off it just smells to me like an adrenaline rush! (Kinda like what hapenned to me with Guerilla Cardio!)

I wanted a way to put more power in my workouts and more range to the stimulus I´m giving my muscles with simple calisthenics. My approach was to create a custom progrm for myself centered around Resistance/Calisthenic supersets 3x week, and Long Cardio/High Intensity Interval Cardio 5x week.

Crossfit seems like more than what I wanted to do. It sounds intense which is a big turn on for me. However I fear that I will not be able to do it correctly. I run at a track, and the continuous exercises utilising several equipment just aren´t available to me. Sure you can substitute a kettleball with a dumbell, but what about exercises like muscle-ups?

Sir, I hate to tire you with my endless rant, so my questions to you are:

A. Do you feel it is the best approach considering my goal in performing well in a BUD/S-type program?

B. Is it a practical approach that can be tweaked with various substitutions, whilst providing the same results?

I am aware that you too are new to this, but your backround assures me that you know why I´m working out, and how I should work out. It´s my first browse through these boards and when I saw an SOF operator saying good things about the program, I said to myself «I just have to ask!»...

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
David Werner

Profile:
Alexander

If I may jump in here, I was a SEAL and am convinced that what Crossfit has developed is the best fitness training possible.

If you persue this path you will be as prepared as you can be for your military training. The largest component of succesfully completing such a program is mental - the determination to finish. You can start to develop this in your workouts by pushing your limits. When you think you can't go faster - go faster anyway. When you are sure there is not one more rep in you, do two more reps. In good form.

Yes, substitution will work. Use your creativity here, for instance rings are easy to cobble together in some form and hang from anything, a tree branch if neccesary.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Dave
Old 06-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
sofrgr

Profile:  
Alexander,

Without a doubt crossfit will more than prepare you for the rigors of BUDs. In any special operation selection program it does not matter how much you can bench or how much you can curl. What counts is your functional strength, lifting heavy odd shaped objects, ie telephone poles, water cans, ammo crates, etc. Crossfit will prepare you for this plus the types of exercises that are done here are great for increasing your grip strength. You will find out that a lot of the events in a selection process require a tremendous amount of grip strength and endurance.

I would definitely advise using crossfit as your primary program to prep for selection. The gym I workout doesnt have some of the equipment that crossfit calls for either so I substitute different exercises as best as possible. Also like Dave said you can build a lot of the equipment that you need literally for a few dollars. I am getting ready to build my own home crossfit gym and get out of the gym I am going to now.

As far as substitution ask some of the guys who have been doing this for a while they will know what the proper subs are.

The only thing I would add to your training program is some pool work. Dave Werner who also posted to this thread is a former SEAL and he could probably give you some great training tips and techniques for your pool work.

To reiterate what Dave said the selection process is 90% mental. The workouts done here are very demanding and Coach sets some very high goals each day. If you follow the program and put your heart into the WOD it will increase your mental toughness as well as your physical toughness. CF will teach you to push yourself past what your mind has set as your physical limit.

One other thing you should check out the webpage that michael rutherford has. take a look at the section on functional exercises. when i saw that section i said man this looks just like a selection event.

www.bootcampfitnesskc.com/quickstartguide.htm

Give it a try and definitely keep us posted on your progress and dont hesitate for a second to ask questions.

De Oppresso Liber
SOFRGR
Old 06-26-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
David,

Thanks a lot for «jumping in»! Any advice I can get from people like yourself and Sofrgr is advice I can use! About the mental aspect of it all it’s what everyone with any experience o the matter keeps telling me. To the point however that its overemphasized. I’m sure that being stronger, faster and with more endurance will put less strain on me mentally. Less pain, better results, and less likely to injure myself, which is what I fear most, being that it is almost completely outside my control.

My workout up until now has shaped me in what I believe is a good state. I do find it lacking all of a sudden however. People won’t understand why I’m not impressed with myself just because I can outperform some lazy folks at the track or in the gym. They see my quest for «weird forms of exercise» as superfluous. I can sense however that Crossfit is what I need. It’s crystal clear philosophy, its diversity, its methodology, and most of all its attitude and intensity just get me fired up! It’s like having discovered the truth after endless searching…and this, without having committed to it yet, just reading about it!

What worries me however, is the fact that although I will be getting «fitter», I won’t bee practicing what I’ll be asked to do in the school. No four-mile runs in the sand, no long ocean swims etc. Am I expected through a program like Crossfit to be able to tackle these just because I’ll be so well rounded that I can take on anything? Is that the idea?

Sofrgr,

Thank you for your reply! Yes grip strength was one of the few «odd» things I was taught to work on for any SOF training. «Odd», because as usual, I was the only guy wrapping towels around the pull-up bars in my gym!

What troubles me with Crossfit isn’t finding a way to do every single exercise, but the random factor in matching these exercises. Let me explain….

I can substitute a dumbbell for a kettle ball, and I can bring the DB with me at the track...but there’s no bench there… I can build rings in my house, and I have a pull-up bar in my room, but no medicine ball or place to use it…I can find a lot of this stuff in my gym, but I’ll really be missing out on a lot of others, like a place to run (that’s run, not hurry because the moving rug will throw you down!), the rings, or other types of gymnastic equipment.

So what do I do? Do I mix and match these existing exercises as I see fit and as they fit my schedule? (Like having a track day, a gym day, a home day etc.) Does Coach mix them randomly, or is there a reason he puts push-ups after a run or squats after pull-ups? I seem to understand from the limited routines I’ve seen this far that they are entirely randomly matched…Is this valid?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get my homework done before I go full-speed into this!