CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
Who is X-fitting at a Globo gym??

Hi all,
I was wondering who out there is stuck at the Globos. I work on K street in Downtown washington and due to my time constraints am going to have to start going to the globo instead of my affiliate or at home (lunch hour workout). If anyone is X-fitting at a globo in this area I would love to know, but I also want general input on which "comapnies" (i hate to use that word) may be more X-fit friendly, or if anyone has any suggestions in picking a place. You don't have to be from the area, I just want general globo input. I am thinking that places with the most open space are best, because you run less risk of ****ing people off and more room to burpee, oly, double under, etc. Particulary places that may have an unused gymnastic room or a pool. There is a YMCA, and if anyone has any experiences there, I would love to hear it. I know this all varies from place to place, but I think you can make some generalizations about each globo. I was leaning towards gold's, because although they have a meat head element, they usually have a lot of room in their weight rooms because of high demand to lift.

Any advice would be appreciated. . .

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, there is about every type of gym around here, Washington Sports Clubs, Fitness First, YMCA, Golds, Results, (which is a complete yuppie gym)

Last edited by Alex Reynolds : 04-18-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Re: Who is X-fitting at a Globo gym??

I have been CFing at a Gold's for 9 months now and have had no issues. A few tips, though:

1. Open, preferably unused space is a huge bonus. My Gold's has two racquetball courts that are almost always free, allowing me to drag in just about anything from med balls to steps (for box jumps) to barbells and go from there. Racquetball courts are perfect for jumping rope and burpees, too.

2. Make friends. Preferably with trainers and management. The more people that understand what you are doing, the better. I work out occasionally with a few of the trainers now, and we've even set up my rings - hanging from the railing on the second floor - to do MUs. I can't imagine this is standard at Gold's, but since the staff was in, too, it worked.

3. Check out traffic patterns within the gym; specifically, when are you going to be working out, and will there be enough room/equipment to perform something like Linda when you need to do it?

Other than that, adapt to what you have, and good luck.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Melissa Urban

Profile:

I train at Gold's too, and I agree with everything Stephen said.

I spoke with the owner before I signed my contract and let him know I'd be bringing in my own stuff (KBs, bumper plates, rings, etc.). I got him to OK his approval in the contract, and as long as I don't let anyone else use my stuff, he's on board with whatever I want to bring in.

Going early AM is best, as it's less crowded. I rearrange my WODs so I do the "toughest" (most spread out, using the most equipment, hogging one of only two squat racks) on Fridays, as it's the least crowded day.

And I try to be considerate, even if it means jacking up my time. I'd rather not p*** someone off just to shave a minute.

So far, I have had no issues. I'm even talking to the owner about picking up a women's bar for the gym - he seems really receptive.

Melissa
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Veronica Davis

Profile:

Alex... although your profile says IL, it sounds from your posts that you live in the DC area. I go to Golds in Ballston (VA). Of all the Gold's in the DC area, it is probably the most "hardcore". The fitness manager is xfit certified (among others), so he's very supportive of the xfitters in my gym. There are a groups of guys who xfit when I'm there in the morning. I've never had any issues and everyone is so used to me (and the guys) that they just don't pay attention. There is a small room with equipment (rings, weights with bumper plates, boxes, kbs). You have to have a trainer with you to be in there. There are plans to expand that room, so more people can use it. I haven't had any issues when I needed to use it.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Alex,

We are looking to open around there, www.potomaccrossfit.com. I did some CF stuff in that Y about two years ago, slight problem with proximity of gear and space, but if you drag it out to the basketball courts then nobody really bothered me.

Hit me up at brian[AT]potomaccrossfit.com if you want to get in on our park workouts in DC.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Kevin Mack

Profile:

I'm guessing you don't have access to any military gyms in the area? I don't pay for gym memberships since I have free access to the gym wherever I'm stationed. They never give me any trouble with CF type workouts, though they seldom have all of the equipment I need. That might be an option if you can get to one, but lunch time is the second worst time to go, especially if you need 3 bars for Linda.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Dean Whittle

Profile:

I train at Gold's here in Sydney (Australia) and have never had any problems, but then CF isn't that well known down here yet. I do get some strange looks from other members but who cares

Regards
Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Alicia Michel

Profile:

I train at my university's gym in Australia. It's small so I have to always be ready to substitute oly lifting or rings or dumbbells for something else when it gets crowded. No confrontational type problems yet with management although there was a time when they put a not-nice poster up on the wall clearly targetted at me. Have had stares and a few unkind remarks but I don't care because I do not put anyone in danger or hog equipment.

Melissa's suggestion on speaking with the owner before signing the contract is a good one.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

I primarily train at the Workout World (WOW) in North Brunswick NJ. I find it is conducive to most WODs. Occasionally, I bring some of my own equipment, ie Kettlebells, Abmat, Dynamax ball for wallball, etc. I go during off hours so I don't have to deal with crowds. I've worked out at lots of globo gyms. There are a few guideliness that will usually help:

1. Whenever possible go during off hours
2. Pick spots out of site or away from crowds
3. Learn the gym rules & learn
4. Get scouting reports on the individual trainers to find out who is more hard core.
5. You might need gym approval to bring your own equipment. Having some equipment helps.
6. As much as possible be courteous to other members
7. Be prepared with an alternate workout or exercise before you start
8. Mind your own business. Respect other people even if you think they are using stupid training methods.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

I've used 3 different globo gyms and countless hotel gyms over the last 2 years.

Overriding principle is to not upset anyone (especially staff), otherwise they can and will stop you.

If its your first time in a new globo, then find a nice corner away from the crowds and do something 'normal' like Cindy. People will just think your crazy.

If you turn up the first day and do Grace or Linda you will draw unwanted attention to yourself. Try to blend in as much as possible until you can work out where the limits are. If you can see chalk and decent oly bars, then you can probably try push the boundaries. If it looks like Virgin Active, then settle in for the long haul and expect weird looks for a few months.

Make friends with the trainers. Ask them for tips on form first etc (even if you disagree with their advice). You are trying to come across as open minded so don't even mention CF until one of them says something along the lines of 'your pretty fit' or 'wtf is that'. Wait to be asked, they will be much more receptive.