CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
D'Anton Lynn

Profile:
Former Athlete considering crossfit

Hey I am a former athlete who is considering crossfit. I have always worked out with a sports team since I was in high school so I've never really worked out a gym and recently I became a member and I really don't like it very much. Some of my friends started crossfit to lose weight and they love it. I have been trying to read up and learn more about it but I had a few questions I was hoping I could get answered!

1. Will crossfit make me lose weight or change my physique? I am 6' 1", 210 pounds and around 8% body fat so I am really not looking to lose weight or transform my body. I am a little scared that once I start it will change the way my clothes fit from what I've read.

2. Is cardio incorporated in the workouts? That has been the hardest thing for me to do since I stopped playing is cardio because all my cardio before was sports specific.

3. How hard is it on your body? I've had some great strength coaches but crossfit is something that's going to be completely different and work new muscles. I love working out and getting my *** kicked in the weight room but at the same time I am not trying to put my body at risk for back injuries or anything like that.

Any feedback would be really appreciated... Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Former Athlete considering crossfit

1. Not if you eat enough and do enough regular strength work. It's possible to gain or lose weight on CF depending on what your goals are. If you're the D'Anton Lynn that just popped up when I did a Google search, I'm guessing you've got a solid history of heavy lifting (squats, deads, Olympic lifts, bench, etc.) so if you want to maintain that size/strength you should probably lean towards one of the strength-focused CF programs.

2. Yes, for the most part the cardio is built into the workouts. You won't see a lot of long, slow distance work, but you'll do plenty of stuff that keeps your heart rate and power output at high levels in the 5-20 minute range. Probably similar to interval work you may have done with sports training, but generally fewer planned rest intervals.

3. Not any harder on your body than any other intense training program as long as you're smart about your training, use good technique, ease your way into things, slowly ramp up volume, etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
D'Anton Lynn

Profile:

Thanks for the tips Eric! So are you saying you would recommend doing regular strength training on top of crossfit? Or is there crossfits workouts that have them included?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Most of the best CF programs have near-daily strength work on the big lifts followed by a conditioning workout in the <20 minute range...take a look at Outlaw, conjugate CF, 5/3/1+CF, or CF Football for some examples.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If your shoulder flexibility/mobility is poor to average, be wary of the excessive kipping pullups/muscleups.

Back injuries? Umm, besides something like mixed grip 1rm DL just be mindful of some WOD's that go crazy on the backs. 50-40-30-20-10 Back Squats can be rough or stuff with with lots of GHD situps/raises.

Be mindful of Rhabdo or excessive DOMS to the point you can't bend your elbows enough to where you lose ROM.

Watch out for yourself because that's your first line of defense. Be mindful if something starts to feel wrong. Don't be a candyass, but don't **** yourself up for no good reason.

A lot of this really depends on whether you go to a CF gym "Box" to do CF or do it on your own.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Tom Nguyen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anton Lynn View Post
Thanks for the tips Eric! So are you saying you would recommend doing regular strength training on top of crossfit? Or is there crossfits workouts that have them included?
Hey D'Anton- not sure if you are interested mainly in CrossFit for keeping fit or competing. There are quite a few former football players who have made a successful transition from their football careers to competing at the highest level of CrossFit.

Just off the top of my head, there's Scott Panchik and Tommy Hackenbruck.

Here's an article on Dana Stubblefield:

http://www.tabatatimes.com/masters-dana-stubblefield/ (WFS)

and Sean Payton bring CrossFit to the Saints training camp:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ack_high-.html (WFS)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Will Johnson
WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjzi-AHdLjw