CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Bret Herman

Profile:
Need advice and your thoughts!

I absolutely love Crossfit! I am 31 years old, 5'7" and 150 lbs. i started crossfit in April of 2012. I have never lifted any weights my entire life, however, i am relatively athletic. My main sports growing up were bowling and baseball and then ultimate frisbee in college. Unfortunately i was only able to do crossfit from April to October (6 months) about 3 to 4 days a week. During that timeframe here are a couple of my workout results...

Fran - 3:03
Angie - 18:48
Filthy Fifty - 21:35
Jackie - 7:10
Barbara - 18:41
Diane - 4:41
Murph (no vest) - 36:48
Max deadlift - 370lbs
Max Squat - 295lbs
Max press - 155lbs
Max push press - 205lbs
3RM Bench - 225lbs

I stopped in October when my second son was born and we just could not afford it. The Crossfit games are going on right now and I really feel that I could have been competitive if I would have continued and not stopped. What are your thoughts on that?

Additionally I am trying to incorporate home workouts at no or very low cost. I just built a parrallelette bar. I have garage space and patio space to do some workouts. Do you know of any cheap ways to make weights or build weights so maybe someday i can compete? Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Bret Herman

Profile:
Re: Need advice and your thoughts!

hmmmm, anyone?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Need advice and your thoughts!

Looks like this was posted in the wrong forum area. Maybe a moderator can move this to Fitness.

Competitive: Competitive with who? You wouldn't be close to making it to regionals in the US with those numbers but you could get into the the top 10 to 20% in the Open, and that's pretty good.

As for home gym you can make sandbags and things like that for pretty cheap, but you really need a barbell. Cheapest for that is Craig's list. Check it every other day and eventually you should find something. Some people have made homemade barbell like things, often concrete around a steel rod, but there are a lot of fairly obvious drawbacks. Check out the equipment section for more ideas.

If you want to compete in the CF Open in the future you can, whether you belong to a CF gym or not. You can do video submissions or (preferably) find an affiliate near you that will let you drop in for the Open. A lot of gyms will.