CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Cal Jones

Profile:
Cal's V-Diet Hell

Although I've never been really fat, I've always had a problem with weight, or rather, losing it. I'm a naturally pear-shaped woman - I store fat on my hips and thighs, and have a devil of a time losing it.

Recently I tried IF, and although I liked the convenience of it, it seemed to put my metabolism into shutdown. At the time I was around 148lbs at a height of 5'7, but instead of losing weight (and fat, because let's face it, we don't like losing muscle, do we?) I ended up 154lbs and miserable.

Given that I am off on holiday on the 31st May, and that all my trousers are now too tight, I'm starting to panic. So I thought I'd give the Velocity Diet a go. I'm one of those people who does better with extremes than moderation. I'm an all or nothing type of person - if I give myself strict rules, I'll stick to them, whereas if I try just to eat healthy, I end up eating a few too many brazil nuts and suddenly I've put on weight. And boy I can put on weight quickly.

I ordered some Lo-Carb Grow and Hot Rocks (or Rox, or whatever they are) and am starting today. The plan is to stick to shakes for two weeks, and then think about adding one solid meal of meat or fish and green veg a day.

My starting statistics are:

Height: 5'7 (not that this will change, mind...)
Weight: 11 stone (154lbs/70kg)
Chest: 36.5" (relaxed)
Waist: 28.5"
Hips: 40"
Right Upper Arm: 12.5"
Right Wrist: 6.5"
Right Thigh: 24.5"
Right Calf: 15"
Right Ankle: 8.5"

I'm starting with one Hot Rocks twice a day and if I tolerate that well I'll up it to two. I'm aiming for four shakes on non-training days and five on training days (though I may rethink this as I've had two shakes so far and the artificial sweetener is nasty, so I may only be able to stomach four). I won't be having the carb drink after training.
My one concession to sanity is that I will continue to drink my English tea with skim milk (I usually drink a couple of cups in the morning before work, and a couple in the evening - at work I drink green tea with no milk). If I gave up tea I would be miserable, and I'll be miserable enough giving up food, for heaven's sake. So the tea stays.

Wish me luck, because I'm going to need it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Cal's V-Diet Hell

Good Luck Cal.
Cross Post on the PM site so those folks can chime in.

Drink On and Don't Cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The V Diet is as much of a mental excerise as it is a physical challenge.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Good luck!
Hope it works well for you.
IF-ing isnít my thing either Ė Iím not normally hungry for breakfast, but Iím doing much better now that I AM eating a good breakfast in the mornings. Being able to eat less calories (with IF) is NOT what I need LOL!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Cal, I'm assuming you heard about V-Diet via T-nation?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Cal Jones

Profile:

Thanks guys!
I've posted it over at the PM forums at your suggestion, Jay - I know some folks there have had success with it and I read the thread there before starting. I know some people do OK on it and some people feel like crap - hopefully I'll do OK. Have had a bit of a headache already but I tend to get headaches anyway so I'm not blaming diet yet.

Erin - I first heard about the V-diet here, and then followed a link to T-Nation. As a rule I'd prefer to do the Pollen thing and eat food, not too much, mostly plants...you know the deal...but desperate times call for desperate measures. It's a short term fix and I view it as such. It also gives me a break from food, which I think will do me some good mentally (though hopefully I won't start to obsess about it. I remember one diet I put myself through where I ended up dreaming about being chased by a giant bread pudding...)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:

Today, I choked down four shakes (2 scoops each), 2 Hot Rox and 5 fish oil caps.
I felt the need to do some metcon so workout was:

1000m row
5 rounds of:
20 OHS with a 5kg body bar
20 press-ups
20 leg raises
1000m row

Got pretty hot doing that. The weather has got warmer, it's not just me...though I think the Hot Rox have boosted my temperature a bit. My hands are normally cold (unless it's actually hot outside) but since starting this I've been almost uncomfortably warm all day.
After last night's poor sleep I'm very tired now and heading to bed....
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:

Just starting Day 4.

Day 3 was as before.
My abs were killing me from Tuesday's workout. Did some heavy benching followed by three sets of dips.
My throat felt scratchy.

This morning I have a full-on, painful sore throat. Surely I'm not getting yet another cold? I'm sick of this. Great timing what with my first ever 10K (race that is, I've run that distance enough times on my own) due on Sunday. Not good. Not good at all.
Will have to take a rest day.

Slept fine last night so will increase my Hot Rox dosage to 2x2.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Cal Jones

Profile:

My throat feels like sandpaper. I've stayed home from work and Sunday's 10K looks most unlikely.
However, I am down half an inch on my waist, hips and thigh (well, I have two legs...but only took the measurement from one). I don't know how much weight, if any, I have lost, but a loss in inches is always a good thing.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Cal Jones

Profile:

I've spent the last two days cooped up in my flat with this cold. It's a pretty bad one. Even now, on Sunday, my head is full of snot and I feel grotty. I won't be able to do the 10K run.

Still, I've stuck to my guns, or rather, my shakes. Though I am growing to loathe the taste of them, no other food has passed my lips for a week.
I've not weighed myself (the scale I used is at the gym and it seems unlikely I will head there today) but my waist is down to 27.5 and my hips to 39.5. There is a lot of work to do, however. It takes me an age to lose fat from below the belt and I don't think I'll ever be able to wear a bikini. But if I can fit comfortably into all my trousers and jeans, then I'll have achieved something.

I must admit I've not had as many shakes as I'm supposed to - on Friday I managed only two because of my sore throat, and yesterday I managed three. I will make more effort today.

There's a possibility I will see my boyfriend tomorrow - if so I'll use that opportunity to have my first solid meal in a week. I'm fantasising about broccoli and chicken. Anything savoury, in fact! The shakes are very unappetising and artificial and I feel I have to choke them down rather than enjoying them. It's really not the same as drinking the peanut butter shakes at Ed's Diner...

I am looking forward to getting back in the gym again but I can't hurry myself. With my poor immune system, I need to give it a good chance to recover before I push it again.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:

Day 9.

My boyfriend did visit last night and we had a beef teriyaki stir fry with extra broccoli spears. It was delicious (and low cal!)
Back to shakes today, although I will have those teeny cans of tuna instead in the evenings.

I am still off work (will go back tomorrow) but did go to the gym just to get out of this flat because I'm sick of being cooped up in here. I did a very slow paced full body workout - weights within my range, and plenty of recovery time. My heart hammered pretty hard after each set so my body still knows it's sick, though it is better than it was.

My main reason for going, though, was to use the scales. I am very happy to report that I am down to 10 stone 9 (149lbs/67.9kg) - a loss of five pounds. Already I look better, but there is still much to do. Fortunately I don't have any cravings for rubbish food (yet!)