CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
Cal Jones

Profile:
Re: Cal's V-Diet Hell

At work yesterday, then hit the gym for 400m of lunges on a treadmill. Protein shakes during the day; can of tuna over watercress and rocket for dinner.

I did not sleep at all well last night and feel extremely tired today though I'm due to lift some weights this evening. Hopefully I won't keel over, especially as I forgot to take my Hot Rox.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #22
Cal Jones

Profile:

Things are going pretty well, still. I went out with friends on Wednesday night so we chose a sushi place. I ate mainly sashimi and vegetables - but I had three little pieces of unagi sushi which is the first starchy carbs I've had in...ages.
Yesterday I was full of energy and hit the gym for some power clean and presses, benches (can easily do 10 reps with 50kg now, and 4-5 with 60kg and a spotter) plus some dips and assisted pull-ups.
My hips and thighs are slowly coming down (the jeans that had become a little tight are now loose) but if I stand under a bright light I can also see signs of a six pack starting to develop.
Only had protein shakes yesterday, which was fine, and probably will today.
Of course, I'm now really concerned about how much progress I'll lose when I go on holiday, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, as they say.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #23
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Great job is aesthetics are your goal No really you feel you are gaining strength so thats awesome!!
Enjoy your vacation and when you come back pick up where you left off!! yeah, and even though you will be on buses traveling thru parks, choose your food wisely most of the time!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #24
Cal Jones

Profile:

Progress has slowed. In fact, the scale didn't budge last week. I'm not sure I can eat less than I do at the moment. I certainly can't work out harder - even normal lifting taxes me to the point I worry about greying out.
I did get a 45-50 minute run in this lunchtime and it felt great, so aerobically at least, things seem to be fine...it's just intense stuff I am struggling with.
Less than two weeks until my holiday and I'm still not happy with how I look, although my clothes are now loose and my waist is greatly improved. My sort of problem is not easily fixed, though (at least, not without a surgeon).
Have had to order more Metabolic Drive and Hot Rox. I can't believe how quickly I go through the powder. And there was me thinking it was cheaper than buying groceries!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #25
Cal Jones

Profile:

Chins and dip last night. I have always struggled with pull-ups but managed 3 dead hang chins in a row, which I'm pleased with.

Sets went something like 3 chins, 12 dips...2 (and a bit) chins, 12 dips...2 chins, 12 dips...1 chin, 10 dips

Then did some benching - 1 x 10 x 50kg, 1 x 6 x 55kg, 1 x 5 x 55kg (obviously these were a bit harder, coming after dips, as I normally do them the other way around).

Very happy with how my pecs are looking and my deltoids are starting to come out nicely. I even have some upper ab definition (under an overhead light). Still got fat on my hips and thighs but not quite as much as before.

3 shakes today, plus 1 large and 1 small can of tuna in the evening with a blob of pesto for taste.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #26
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Cal, there is a certain point of dieting where you intake so little food that your body goes into starvation mode, stops dropping fat, and stops burning off calories.

The ice cream thread over at the nutrition forums? There isn't anything magical about ice cream--but there is something magical about someone on a calorie-restricted diet eating more calories and bumping their metabolism out of starvation mode, thus letting their body burn more fat. I have a nagging suspicion that the ice cream thing only worked for people who were super, super, strict with their Zone diet for months and months and months and thus probably eating too few calories. If people who had just started dieting tried it, or who weren't on a diet at all, it wouldn't work.

So I would bet anything your plateau is due to your body thinking it's going through a famine. In the original V-diet, the guy who designed it wasn't running and Oly-lifting and doing lunges on a treadmill on top of the diet. He only did three workouts through the week, all slow, heavy lifting because he did not want to burn off muscle and over-tax his body while he was putting it through such a strenuous diet.

The V-diet is not for pussies, but it also isn't for people who may have an unhealthy relationship with food and weight. The success feeds the Type-A personality and drives us to push more, more, more, to the point where we'll start hurting ourselves. I've had an eating disorder. I've been in the place where I was restricting my calories and pushing myself through workouts even though I was sick and ready to collapse, and it was not a healthy place. I read this log and though I am happy with your success I am really, really worried this thing will backfire on you in a very bad way. I don't claim to know the answers--Lord knows I struggle with being consistently healthy with my diet and not swinging from insanely strict to completely unhealthy. But I feel like struggling for some happy medium should be the goal, a happy medium we can all live with.

Last edited by Emily Mattes; 05-22-2008 at 04:56 PM..