CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Cal's V-Diet Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Jones View Post
Day 9.

My boyfriend did visit last night and we had a beef teriyaki stir fry with extra broccoli spears. It was delicious (and low cal!)
Back to shakes today, although I will have those teeny cans of tuna instead in the evenings.

I am still off work (will go back tomorrow) but did go to the gym just to get out of this flat because I'm sick of being cooped up in here. I did a very slow paced full body workout - weights within my range, and plenty of recovery time. My heart hammered pretty hard after each set so my body still knows it's sick, though it is better than it was.

My main reason for going, though, was to use the scales. I am very happy to report that I am down to 10 stone 9 (149lbs/67.9kg) - a loss of five pounds. Already I look better, but there is still much to do. Fortunately I don't have any cravings for rubbish food (yet!)
Glad you were feeling better/well enough to get out. And even "gladder" the scales proved your efforts are paying off. Be cautious/conscious to use this experiment to lay a foundation for good eating habits--get the brazil nuts out of the house!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
Cal Jones

Profile:

Back at work for two days now. Last night's workout was a 400m walking lunch (treadmill, 1%). Thighs sore today!
Still sticking to the diet - running out of powder though. I'm surprised how fast I get through it. Need to run out and buy more quickly so may have to go with another brand as I'm not sure I can get this stuff delivered in time. We shall see.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
Cal Jones

Profile:

Thursday was a rest day. Friday I intended to train but I was down to the dregs of my protein powder so had to ration myself (I never thought I'd get through two tubs of Metabolic Drive in less than two weeks). I have more on order but had to run out last night and pick up some generic protein brand (a basic vanilla whey isolate with no aspartame) to keep me going until the new stuff arrives.
Felt very weak this morning (partly from lack of cals and partly from my cold) so I didn't push myself in the gym too hard.

Still, results are encouraging:

Weight: 10 stone 6 (146lbs/66.something kg - sorry forgot)
Chest: 36" (relaxed
Waist: 27"
Hips: 39"

I'm concerned about loose skin as dumping 8lbs in just under two weeks seems fast. My midsection does look more defined but the skin isn't tight. Given I'm 40 (41 next month) this bothers me. I don't want to be needing surgery to make my skin fit properly.
If any other ladies of similar age have lost weight like this, I'd be interested for your feedback.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #14
Cal Jones

Profile:

Week 3

I can't say I'm on strict V-Diet any more, though things are still moving in the right direction. I ran out of Low Carb Grow (or Metabolic Drive) so ordered more, which will arrive tomorrow, and got some regular protein powder. It actually tastes better (less nasty sweetener aftertaste) but doesn't mix as well, and doesn't seem to give me as much energy.

Three day weekend for me. Saturday described above. Sunday I rested. Now the problem is, when I am at work, I have access to ice, so I just go down to the kitchen, mix some powder and water, throw in a few ice cubes and I have a palatable beverage. At home I don't have ice (my flat is small - I have a tiny fridge with a tiny ice box that is already full of other food) so have to remember to leave a glass of water in the fridge. And I often forget. Whenever I forget I eat a mini can of tuna and a blob of pesto instead. I like pesto and it gives me some good fats and makes the tuna taste better.

In the evenings on Saturday, Sunday and last night I also had a meal of spring greens and beef. Just felt I needed it. I tried to go for a run on Monday and got just over a mile in and realised my tank was completely empty. Normally I run 3 miles with no problem, but I had to turn around and go home. I don't know if this because I'm still getting over a nasty cold (it's all gone now but I'm tired), or the fact my diet contains almost no carbs, but I was slayed.

I am going to attempt the gym tonight but I won't push too hard. Just some weights, no metcon. As long as I losing weight, I'm reasonably content - my holiday is in just under 4 weeks so I've enough time to drop some more.
More Lo Carb Grow arrive tomorrow so may do a few more all V-Diet days, no tuna, but the taste of that stuff is pretty vile.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Cal, I did the v-diet last spring and lost about 12lbs (from 122-110lbs) I didn't do it strict though and didn't suffer much energy/strength loss. I'm 43 in 2 days and I have plenty of loose skin from having 4 kids. I'm guessing that the skin will tighten up a little with time. IMO, it all depends on your genetics and how elastic your skin is as well as how long it's been stretched. But really what does it matter? Do you feel better? Look better? Are more fit?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #16
Cal Jones

Profile:

I think the energy loss is mainly because of the cold I had. I actually felt perfectly fine when I was doing the diet strict in the first few days before the cold arrived. I've had so many of them over the last 8 months my immune system is a bit low (not worryingly, but enough that I catch everything going, bah!)
I've also been suffering from poor sleep though I'm not sure if that's the Hot Rox or a couple of episodes of being mentally overstimulated. That can't help. It's like I go to bed and my mind won't shut up and let me sleep, even though my body is more than ready to.

My new Low Carb Grows have arrived so I can get back on those now (though the whey isolate actually tastes a lot better).
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #17
Cal Jones

Profile:

Oops and forgot to say I'm 41 next month. The thing I notice, which has been the case for a while, is that if I grab the skin on my leg and pull upwards, all my cellulite disappears (which makes me think it's more of a skin problem than a fat problem. OK there is definitely a fat problem...but I'm generally in decent shape compared to a mortal woman of my age. Compared to the likes of Nicole and Eva I look like crap, though).
Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #18
Cal Jones

Profile:

I've been lacking energy the last few days. I notice my heart seems to be beating harder when I do anything strenuous. I'm not unduly concerned as I've read (somewhere on this forum) that this can happen with low carb diets, but it is rather putting the kybosh on any kind of metcon or harder workouts. At the moment I'm just doing a basic lifting routine with plenty of rest between sets.
I'll also say that vanilla Metabolic Drive (Low Carb Grow) is just as foul as chocolate. It's the sweeteners. Augh! The whey isolate I bought as a stop gap last weekend, though hardly a gastronomic delight, tastes a hell of a lot better. I'm wondering if I should just buy that in future - however I felt a lot better when I was on the Metbolic Drive in terms of energy.
One side effect of this diet is that I've really lost my lust for food. I am eating solid food but usually it's just a small can of tuna (eaten straight from the can with a fork) and a blob of pesto sauce for flavour.
I've just been through PMS and haven't had the huge food (mainly carb) cravings I normally get. It's like I don't really care about eating any more. For me, a former compulsive eater, that's really quite bizarre.
I've also successfully kicked my 40 stick a day chewing gum habit. I hardly think about gum now. Given the amount I used to get through, that is quite something.
My waist is down to 26.5 inches. Hips are still 39. The joys of being a pear! I look better, though, which is the whole point.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #19
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Looking better is GOOD! Still pluggin on....
Old 05-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #20
Cal Jones

Profile:

10 stone 5 (145lbs) today. A much smaller loss but it's still heading in the right direction. If only I had more energy but my sleep is really poor, and the weather is also muggy.
I bought a steak for dinner. Thought I needed the iron, maybe.

Gym was OK. I was going to do a spot of deadlifting but I'd not taken my chalk and my hands kept slipping off the bar so I didn't try more than 80kg. Did a couple of sets of clean and press then some bench pressing. I did a single with 70kg, using a spotter. If I went from a complete standstill at the bottom then I'd have been hard pressed to shift it, but I'm still happy with my progress. No shoulder pain, which is the main thing.
Finished with a couple of sets of dips and gravitron pull-ups.

Problem I'm having is I'm so carb-depleted that it takes my heart ages to slow after a set, and anything involving overhead movement really takes it out of me. I get quite light headed so I really have to pace myself. My stamina is shot to hell, but the strength is still there, at least.

I tried on the clothes that had got too tight, and they all fit now. I still have more fat than I'd like but I'm back to around where I'd like to be. I'll keep going though, and see where that gets me. Likelihood is my theme park holiday will put me back some - hard to avoid crappy food under those circumstances - but as long as it's just a couple of pounds and not half a stone, I'm cool with that. Three weeks to go.