CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Kristopher Shifler
Member Kristopher Shifler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chambersburg  PA
Posts: 12
Garage Gym

I thought I'd share this since many of the ideas came from this forum. It's a pretty simple setup, but effective for our needs.

- Power rack and steel plates that I've used in my basement for years
- Rogue Econo bar and bumper plates
- C2 rower (from Rogue)
- Rogue P4 pull up rig (this is thing is solid)
- Rogue Echo Gym Timer
- DIY plyo box
- DIY plate holders
- DIY med balls (14 and 20)
- Gymnastics rings from some random Amazon seller

Still need KBs and rubber flooring, but it's functional for now.

And . . . we can still park two cars in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageGym_Small.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	13745  
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Steven Thunander
Member Steven Thunander is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milwaukee  WI
Posts: 614
Re: Garage Gym

When funds become available, I suggest getting a better bar (A rogue 2.0 bar, Ohio bar or Chan bar). Use this for Oly work and metcons outside of the rack. Use the econ bar for inside the rack (Bench, squat, rack pulls, ect). I would also get some more bumpers and kettlebells. For now, you can use dumbbells for KB work; even adjustable dumbbells will work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,299
Re: Garage Gym

How high is the ceiling?
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
John Drohan
Member John Drohan is offline
 
John Drohan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Greer  SC
Posts: 130
Re: Garage Gym

I have the same Rogue pull up bar. It's perhaps the best piece of equipment when measured on a fitness utility / dollar spent basis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Cooper Mitchell
Member Cooper Mitchell is offline
 
Cooper Mitchell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield  MO
Posts: 119
Re: Garage Gym

I have the same rings. I think they're made by Nayoya. My wood rings are definitely my favorites but the Nayoya rings will go through hell and back and still work great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Kristopher Shifler
Member Kristopher Shifler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chambersburg  PA
Posts: 12
Re: Garage Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
When funds become available, I suggest getting a better bar (A rogue 2.0 bar, Ohio bar or Chan bar). Use this for Oly work and metcons outside of the rack. Use the econ bar for inside the rack (Bench, squat, rack pulls, ect). I would also get some more bumpers and kettlebells. For now, you can use dumbbells for KB work; even adjustable dumbbells will work.
A nicer bar has definitely been on my mind. I have a set of dumbbell handles that I can put steel plates on and a bunch of 10 lb steel plates. I've been using them to make 55 and 70 lb DBs in place of a KBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
How high is the ceiling?
12 ft. Nice for hanging rings and doing wall balls inside. Not quite high enough for rope climbs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
I have the same rings. I think they're made by Nayoya. My wood rings are definitely my favorites but the Nayoya rings will go through hell and back and still work great.
Agreed. Wood rings are on the wish list. I'll hang the wood ones from the ceiling for MUs, and hang the metal ones on the pull up bar for dips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
I have the same Rogue pull up bar. It's perhaps the best piece of equipment when measured on a fitness utility / dollar spent basis.
Yes. It will get a ton of use, and it will probably still be there when they tear the house down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,299
Re: Garage Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher Shifler View Post
12 ft. Nice for hanging rings and doing wall balls inside. Not quite high enough for rope climbs though.
Awesome!

My garage ceiling is 11 feet 6 inches. I decided to hang a climbing rope. When I climb it feels like a skill height. It doesn't feel like a 15' workout climb. To compensate for a lower height, I make the standard in my garage to touch my head to the ceiling. Maybe that's equivalent to reaching a hand up to touch a 15' line....?

If I jump to grab my rope, I set my feet once and I'm to the top. I also start climbs from a standing (no jump) position, or from a sitting L-sit position. Legless climbs are a killer; I'm glad I don't have 15' when I do legless climbs. There is a lot of fun to be had, despite a lower height.

My kids love it. They climb it, or set up the plyo boxes to swing across the "lava" floor like Tarzan. It has definitely been a good addition to my garage gym.
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 03-19-2015 at 09:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Kristopher Shifler
Member Kristopher Shifler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chambersburg  PA
Posts: 12
Re: Garage Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Awesome!

My garage ceiling is 11 feet 6 inches. I decided to hang a climbing rope. When I climb it feels like a skill height. It doesn't feel like a 15' workout climb. To compensate for a lower height, I make the standard in my garage to touch my head to the ceiling. Maybe that's equivalent to reaching a hand up to touch a 15' line....?

If I jump to grab my rope, I set my feet once and I'm to the top. I also start climbs from a standing (no jump) position, or from a sitting L-sit position. Legless climbs are a killer; I'm glad I don't have 15' when I do legless climbs. There is a lot of fun to be had, despite a lower height.

My kids love it. They climb it, or set up the plyo boxes to swing across the "lava" floor like Tarzan. It has definitely been a good addition to my garage gym.
Chris, I had the same thought on hanging a rope and making the standard head-to-ceiling. My reach is about 18" above my head so it still wouldn't be quite the same as a 15' rope.

My kids would love it too, I'm sure. I'll add a rope to the ever-growing gym wish list.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Jason A Smith
Member Jason A Smith is offline
 
Jason A Smith's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brandon  MB Canada
Posts: 2,659
Re: Garage Gym

I have about 10.5' and I hung mine. I do mostly legless rope climbs from seated. If you can do them without legs they are way easier with them.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Garage Gym in the UK James Knock Equipment 0 05-30-2012 07:59 AM
My Garage Gym (so far) Donald Rice Equipment 74 03-01-2012 07:58 AM
My Garage Gym Jason Panicaro Equipment 27 11-09-2010 09:52 AM
Our garage gym, v2. James Orr Equipment 0 10-10-2010 12:43 PM
Another garage gym Beau Bryant Equipment 8 04-20-2010 02:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.