CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Kristopher Shifler

Profile:
Garage Gym

I thought I'd share this since many of the ideas came from this forum. It's a pretty simple setup, but effective for our needs.

- Power rack and steel plates that I've used in my basement for years
- Rogue Econo bar and bumper plates
- C2 rower (from Rogue)
- Rogue P4 pull up rig (this is thing is solid)
- Rogue Echo Gym Timer
- DIY plyo box
- DIY plate holders
- DIY med balls (14 and 20)
- Gymnastics rings from some random Amazon seller

Still need KBs and rubber flooring, but it's functional for now.

And . . . we can still park two cars in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageGym_Small.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	13745  
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym

When funds become available, I suggest getting a better bar (A rogue 2.0 bar, Ohio bar or Chan bar). Use this for Oly work and metcons outside of the rack. Use the econ bar for inside the rack (Bench, squat, rack pulls, ect). I would also get some more bumpers and kettlebells. For now, you can use dumbbells for KB work; even adjustable dumbbells will work.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

How high is the ceiling?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
John Drohan

Profile:

I have the same Rogue pull up bar. It's perhaps the best piece of equipment when measured on a fitness utility / dollar spent basis.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I have the same rings. I think they're made by Nayoya. My wood rings are definitely my favorites but the Nayoya rings will go through hell and back and still work great.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Kristopher Shifler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
When funds become available, I suggest getting a better bar (A rogue 2.0 bar, Ohio bar or Chan bar). Use this for Oly work and metcons outside of the rack. Use the econ bar for inside the rack (Bench, squat, rack pulls, ect). I would also get some more bumpers and kettlebells. For now, you can use dumbbells for KB work; even adjustable dumbbells will work.
A nicer bar has definitely been on my mind. I have a set of dumbbell handles that I can put steel plates on and a bunch of 10 lb steel plates. I've been using them to make 55 and 70 lb DBs in place of a KBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
How high is the ceiling?
12 ft. Nice for hanging rings and doing wall balls inside. Not quite high enough for rope climbs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
I have the same rings. I think they're made by Nayoya. My wood rings are definitely my favorites but the Nayoya rings will go through hell and back and still work great.
Agreed. Wood rings are on the wish list. I'll hang the wood ones from the ceiling for MUs, and hang the metal ones on the pull up bar for dips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
I have the same Rogue pull up bar. It's perhaps the best piece of equipment when measured on a fitness utility / dollar spent basis.
Yes. It will get a ton of use, and it will probably still be there when they tear the house down.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher Shifler View Post
12 ft. Nice for hanging rings and doing wall balls inside. Not quite high enough for rope climbs though.
Awesome!

My garage ceiling is 11 feet 6 inches. I decided to hang a climbing rope. When I climb it feels like a skill height. It doesn't feel like a 15' workout climb. To compensate for a lower height, I make the standard in my garage to touch my head to the ceiling. Maybe that's equivalent to reaching a hand up to touch a 15' line....?

If I jump to grab my rope, I set my feet once and I'm to the top. I also start climbs from a standing (no jump) position, or from a sitting L-sit position. Legless climbs are a killer; I'm glad I don't have 15' when I do legless climbs. There is a lot of fun to be had, despite a lower height.

My kids love it. They climb it, or set up the plyo boxes to swing across the "lava" floor like Tarzan. It has definitely been a good addition to my garage gym.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 03-19-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Kristopher Shifler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Awesome!

My garage ceiling is 11 feet 6 inches. I decided to hang a climbing rope. When I climb it feels like a skill height. It doesn't feel like a 15' workout climb. To compensate for a lower height, I make the standard in my garage to touch my head to the ceiling. Maybe that's equivalent to reaching a hand up to touch a 15' line....?

If I jump to grab my rope, I set my feet once and I'm to the top. I also start climbs from a standing (no jump) position, or from a sitting L-sit position. Legless climbs are a killer; I'm glad I don't have 15' when I do legless climbs. There is a lot of fun to be had, despite a lower height.

My kids love it. They climb it, or set up the plyo boxes to swing across the "lava" floor like Tarzan. It has definitely been a good addition to my garage gym.
Chris, I had the same thought on hanging a rope and making the standard head-to-ceiling. My reach is about 18" above my head so it still wouldn't be quite the same as a 15' rope.

My kids would love it too, I'm sure. I'll add a rope to the ever-growing gym wish list.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have about 10.5' and I hung mine. I do mostly legless rope climbs from seated. If you can do them without legs they are way easier with them.