CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:
Help needed

I've been working out calistenics for about a year now and i progressed from 10 push ups,0 pull ups/dips/mucsle ups to 77 max push ups,30 dips.15 pull ups, 7 muscle ups.I never did cross-fit before.So,I train basketball 3 days a week so I am avaliable for working out on mondays,thursdays and saturdays so i would like your program sugestions,working out plans,etc...My goals are becoming fit,strong and conditioned (because of basketball and myself) and learning new movements like power-cleans,etc...My only problem is that i have a limited equipment access (pull up bar(which is not usable for muscle ups),dip paralell bars,and soon a barbell with weight plates) and there is nowhere close in my area any cross-fit gym's and acctual cross-fitters,also i dont have money to make my own "garage gym"(because of 2 reasons 1.i dont have my own money im still teenager;2.Even if had a job i couldnt affort it because of low living standards here in Serbia).Also i forgot to mention that i run Cooper's test (12 min) 2700meters ,and that my current record is 1017 regular sit ups.Looking forward for your suggestions

Last edited by Stefan Pavlovic : 09-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Pavlovic View Post
I've been working out calistenics for about a year now and i progressed from 10 push ups,0 pull ups/dips/mucsle ups to 77 max push ups,30 dips.15 pull ups, 7 muscle ups.I never did cross-fit before.So,I train basketball 3 days a week so I am avaliable for working out on mondays,thursdays and saturdays so i would like your program sugestions,working out plans,etc...My goals are becoming fit,strong and conditioned (because of basketball and myself) and learning new movements like power-cleans,etc...My only problem is that i have a limited equipment access (pull up bar(which is not usable for muscle ups),dip paralell bars,and soon a barbell with weight plates) and there is nowhere close in my area any cross-fit gym's and acctual cross-fitters,also i dont have money to make my own "garage gym"(because of 2 reasons 1.i dont have my own money im still teenager;2.Even if had a job i couldnt affort it because of low living standards here in Serbia).Also i forgot to mention that i run Cooper's test (12 min) 2700meters ,and that my current record is 1017 regular sit ups.Looking forward for your suggestions
Stephan,
Are you looking for suggestions on workout equipment, WODs or both....?
If you lack money for equipment, I suggest building it. You can make sandbags for all types of exercises, medballs, Bulgarian sandbags and parallettes, etc.
Try this link and search this forum: http://homemadegymequipment.com/ (WFS)or RossTraining.com

Also, I'm not sure what resources you have access to....

Michael
Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Stephan,
Are you looking for suggestions on workout equipment, WODs or both....?
If you lack money for equipment, I suggest building it. You can make sandbags for all types of exercises, medballs, Bulgarian sandbags and parallettes, etc.
Try this link and search this forum: http://homemadegymequipment.com/ (WFS)or RossTraining.com

Also, I'm not sure what resources you have access to....

Michael
Thanks for this links They are definitly more helpful then in the main thread on "Starter" part of this forum,and i think i am gonna solve my equipment problem easily now.My question about actual training is how should i do that? Is there any specific programs/routines or what (im really not expirienced with anything of this).Thanks for help once again
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

all wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/3...ngth-training/

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ning-programs/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk Pendlay Snatch progression part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03 Pendlay Clean progression part 1

http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...hp?sectionID=2 Catalyst/Greg Everett video page. You should be able to figure out the Jerk and his style of Snatch and Cleaning by watching them.

http://www.pendlay.com/A-Training-Sy...ers_df_90.html Basic Olympic Lifting program for beginners by Glenn Pendlay.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

Thanks that was very helpful!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Clint Harris

Profile:

I'm not sure what your goal is, but it occurs to me that you could increase your conditioning for free. When I was 18 I joined the military and we had to do the cooper's test (on 400m track). I was told if we did 8 laps we'd only have to do this once a year. So I ran 8 laps and stopped .... then got yelled at to keep going and jogged out to finish 9 laps (3600m). That was with no training or anything so all I'm saying is 2700m for a young guy (unless you're like 14 or something) is perhaps not where it could be for your conditioning ? I did it again a few times and always hit about 8.5-9 laps (I paced to do so). Then we switched to 2 mile runs as a test (and every 6 months regardless of rating .... instead of annually which was some more "military fiction"). Anyway, doing 1000 situps and 15 pull ups is great but may not get you there for conditioning.

Is there a 400m track anywhere ? Or somewhere you can easily measure out 200m, 400m and 800m ?
If so, look into adding some 400 repeats into your arsenal.
for example:
Start with 4x400m where you either rest 2-3 mins between repeats and go as fast as you can each time.
Or, try to keep all 4 runs to within 2-3 secs of each other, and rest the same amount of time it took to complete the last lap. e.g. Round 1=63s so rest 63s. Round 2=66s so rest 66s (and pick pace up). Round 3=61s so rest 61s (no need to go faster). Round 4=64s.
Do that twice a week, then increase the next week to 5x400, then 6x400, up to like 10x400. Then change workout or reset back to 6x400.

Alternatively. You can do this for 200m or 800m distances too. Or do 6x200, 4x400, 2x800 in the same rest formula. A few 100s is a good one too ... especially as a finisher.

Then on another day (or choose a smaller one for a finisher after your repeats), you can do a "workout". You don't need any equipment to do this. Just make up a workout which doesn't have to be a crazy epic slog. e.g.
Start with 25 burpees (a burpee is conditioning king).
Then run 400m.
Then do 25 push ups, 25 squats
Then run 800m
Then do 25 squats, 25 push ups.
Then run 400m
Now do 25 burpees.

Time it and see how you progress as you do them. You can change distance, rounds, exercise easily. If you get a jump rope or a kettlebell, you can take that and use it in between runs too.
e.g.
Run 800m
50 double unders
Run 400m
50 KBS
run 400m
50 double unders
Run 800m

Here's an actual crossfit hero wod that is done on the track. Griff. Run 800m forwards, 400m backwards, 800m forwards, 400m backwards. Should take ~10-11 mins for someone who is fit, has good capacity and can run. It's ridiculous how running backwards taxes the thighs. It took me 14m to do this the first time, I took the first 800 too slow and the last 400 was a crazy unexpected slog. That and I'm old and unfit (relative) now.

If you can blast away at these distances on the track, a basketball game should start feeling like nothing. Granted it's not going to give you massive strength gains that using weight will do and I'm not sure how it will help your jump ability (calfs will get stronger though) but our cardiovascular capacity will be huge, and your wallet won't be emptied. Also, if you currently hate running and burpees .... then perfect !! Work on your weaknesses and other parts will get better through osmosis. Your mental fortitude will increase by gutting out stuff you don't like.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 09-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I'm not sure what your goal is, but it occurs to me that you could increase your conditioning for free. When I was 18 I joined the military and we had to do the cooper's test (on 400m track). I was told if we did 8 laps we'd only have to do this once a year. So I ran 8 laps and stopped .... then got yelled at to keep going and jogged out to finish 9 laps (3600m). That was with no training or anything so all I'm saying is 2700m for a young guy (unless you're like 14 or something) is perhaps not where it could be for your conditioning ? I did it again a few times and always hit about 8.5-9 laps (I paced to do so). Then we switched to 2 mile runs as a test (and every 6 months regardless of rating .... instead of annually which was some more "military fiction"). Anyway, doing 1000 situps and 15 pull ups is great but may not get you there for conditioning.

Is there a 400m track anywhere ? Or somewhere you can easily measure out 200m, 400m and 800m ?
If so, look into adding some 400 repeats into your arsenal.
for example:
Start with 4x400m where you either rest 2-3 mins between repeats and go as fast as you can each time.
Or, try to keep all 4 runs to within 2-3 secs of each other, and rest the same amount of time it took to complete the last lap. e.g. Round 1=63s so rest 63s. Round 2=66s so rest 66s (and pick pace up). Round 3=61s so rest 61s (no need to go faster). Round 4=64s.
Do that twice a week, then increase the next week to 5x400, then 6x400, up to like 10x400. Then change workout or reset back to 6x400.

Alternatively. You can do this for 200m or 800m distances too. Or do 6x200, 4x400, 2x800 in the same rest formula. A few 100s is a good one too ... especially as a finisher.

Then on another day (or choose a smaller one for a finisher after your repeats), you can do a "workout". You don't need any equipment to do this. Just make up a workout which doesn't have to be a crazy epic slog. e.g.
Start with 25 burpees (a burpee is conditioning king).
Then run 400m.
Then do 25 push ups, 25 squats
Then run 800m
Then do 25 squats, 25 push ups.
Then run 400m
Now do 25 burpees.

Time it and see how you progress as you do them. You can change distance, rounds, exercise easily. If you get a jump rope or a kettlebell, you can take that and use it in between runs too.
e.g.
Run 800m
50 double unders
Run 400m
50 KBS
run 400m
50 double unders
Run 800m

Here's an actual crossfit hero wod that is done on the track. Griff. Run 800m forwards, 400m backwards, 800m forwards, 400m backwards. Should take ~10-11 mins for someone who is fit, has good capacity and can run. It's ridiculous how running backwards taxes the thighs. It took me 14m to do this the first time, I took the first 800 too slow and the last 400 was a crazy unexpected slog. That and I'm old and unfit (relative) now.

If you can blast away at these distances on the track, a basketball game should start feeling like nothing. Granted it's not going to give you massive strength gains that using weight will do and I'm not sure how it will help your jump ability (calfs will get stronger though) but our cardiovascular capacity will be huge, and your wallet won't be emptied. Also, if you currently hate running and burpees .... then perfect !! Work on your weaknesses and other parts will get better through osmosis. Your mental fortitude will increase by gutting out stuff you don't like.
Thank you very much ! Will definitly put this suggestions in my weekly process. Thanks once again