CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Improving the FS drastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruan Keyser View Post
@Andrew - We mostly do short explosive workouts (not sure if this is called metcon, still very new to the crossfit lingo) like for instance, our workout tuesday was 1min on, 1min off of 30 k/b swings doing 7 rounds. And then 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts @120kg and 10 burpees for time. Very short but intensive workouts.
this is why i asked and what i was afraid of. from your use of the term "we" and then the way you describe a workout, it seems you are working out at a box that doesn't have an actual program and doesn't do dedicated strength work. this can work for GPP to keep people healthy and fit, but it is not a plan to increase strength, certainly not to "improve the FS drastically" as your title of the thread states. if you want to increase strength, you have to do regular dedicated strength work. GSLP, 5/3/1, CFFB, etc. or ask your coach if you can do one or two lifts before your WOD 2 to 4 times a week. once you figure out the schedule on which you can do strength work let us know and we can recommend a program
Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
.... Nothing improved until I visited Coach Rick Scarpulla’s gym and he started helping me a lot more with programming and my lifts. He immediately identified that I needed way more core work. WAY more. The torso collapsing, back rounding (like I knew happened most in my front squats and squat cleans) was an ab problem he said. So I started programming ab and/or core stability work 4 days/week....
Can you be more specific, sets/reps/exercises which made your core stronger.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
Ruan Keyser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
this is why i asked and what i was afraid of. from your use of the term "we" and then the way you describe a workout, it seems you are working out at a box that doesn't have an actual program and doesn't do dedicated strength work. this can work for GPP to keep people healthy and fit, but it is not a plan to increase strength, certainly not to "improve the FS drastically" as your title of the thread states. if you want to increase strength, you have to do regular dedicated strength work. GSLP, 5/3/1, CFFB, etc. or ask your coach if you can do one or two lifts before your WOD 2 to 4 times a week. once you figure out the schedule on which you can do strength work let us know and we can recommend a program
Hi Andrew,

I've started following a 5/3/1 program (very basic) since last week. I'm only able to do this Friday/Saturday as during the week I do my WOD's. I did try training twice a day, but it's too taxing on my body still. Below is the workout:

Workout 1

Exercise Sets Reps
1) Shoulder press 3
Week 1 5
Week 2 3
Week 3 5,3,1
Week 4 5
2) Dip 5 15
3) Chin-up 5 10

Workout 2

Exercise Sets Reps
1) Deadlift 3
Week 1 5
Week 2 3
Week 3 5,3,1
Week 4 5
2) Good morning 5 12
3) Hanging leg raise 5 15

Workout 3

Exercise Sets Reps
1) Bench press 3 5
Week 1 3
Week 2 5,3,1
Week 3 5
Week 4
2) Dumbbell chest press 5 15
3) Dumbbell row 5 10

Workout 4

Exercise Sets Reps
1) Squat 3
Week 1 5
Week 2 3
Week 3
Week 4 5
2) Leg press 5 15
3) Leg curl 5 10
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Can you be more specific, sets/reps/exercises which made your core stronger.
Not to answer for David since I wasn't there in his gym and don't know his experience. But there's no secret to core work, most of us simply don't do enough of it.

You have a laundry list of fantastic exercises to choose from:

Hanging Leg Lifts, Windshield Wipers, Ice Cream Makers, L-sits, Weighted Planks, Back Extension, Reverse Hyper, Candlestick/Body Levers...PLENTY MORE, you can even make them up!

Pick one or two for 2-4 training days a week and get after it. Also don't be afraid to do your core work PRIOR to your workouts.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #15
Ruan Keyser

Profile:

After reading up a bit, it seems that squats/deadlifts/any thing ovehead works your core more than enough. Is this true?

If so, then my squat shouldn't be a core issue as my other lifts/presses are decent compared to my squat/clean? (correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #16
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Hanging Leg Lifts, Windshield Wipers, Ice Cream Makers, L-sits, Weighted Planks, Back Extension, Reverse Hyper, Candlestick/Body Levers...PLENTY MORE, you can even make them up!
Thanks Aushion. Others can chime in too, but I really wanted to know what helped David throw 30+ lbs on his front squat. I do extra ab work, but I really should (do more) get the levers down, more ice cream makers, and that darn ab wheel I hardly ever touch. I also want to know what coach Rick Scarpulla prescribed for David as far as volume is concerned.

And to Ryan, these guys are not wrong in doing extra core work. Most oly programs and even Westside hits the core (aside from the lifts), with pure ab work, every session just about.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruan Keyser View Post
Hi Andrew,

I've started following a 5/3/1 program (very basic) since last week. I'm only able to do this Friday/Saturday as during the week I do my WOD's. I did try training twice a day, but it's too taxing on my body still. Below is the workout
this is not a good plan to increase your front squat or strength in general. obviously there is no requirment that you be as strong as possible. there is nothing wrong with doing just basic CF WODs for GPP. you can train however you want. but if you truly want to increase your front squat and clean then you need a program consistent with those goals. if you are unwilling to change your program then you may have to change your goals. choose which one you want more. and is there a reason you can't do a quick lift before your WOD 3 or 4 days a week?

even if you do continue to just do WOD, one thing you could do is to scale the weight up, either increasing time or decreasing weight. in one of the WOD you listed above was 120 deadlift for 5 reps. why not just increase the weight to 95% of your max and only do 1 or 2 reps? i am positive that proper scaling is part of your box, right?

be sure you speak with your coach about your goals. see what can be done so that you can keep going to CF on normal days and work towards your goals at the same time.

if you really want to get stronger and keep doing WODs then why not just follow CFFB, GSLP, or Outlaw?

Last edited by Andrew N. Casey : 09-21-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Shane Sweatt

Profile:

Not true they do not work your core enough. We end every workout with dynamic and static ab movements. Try front squatting to a box these should be hard for you. Also a a previous response stating to identify your weeknesses was right. I would add different type of good mornings into your program also. I am sure you have many weaknesses that would be quick to point out. How is your glut and hamstring strength? Do you do a lot of stiff leg deadliest variations and glut ham variations? I would suggest Reading articles on Westside barbells website. I teach the Westside cert for Crossfit if you ever have a chance to take it i would love to work with you and help you on your problems. You need a conjugate system to help fix this problem just doing front squats is not going to help.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Shane Sweatt

Profile:

I agree the 5-3-1 program is not the answer i would do a Westside program wrapped around your goals and need.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
But there's no secret to core work, most of us simply don't do enough of it.
Personally heavy front squats are harder for me than most of those gymnastic exercises that are strictly core workouts. Well, except Hanging L leg lifts and stuff that requires front lever strength.

I should probably do more of the gymnastic ab work though before it ****es all away after not doing them over time. Call me lazy but at the end of the day after lifting, I don't want to stick around and do ab work.