CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Savannah Simms

Profile:
Training is all over the place..advice?

So I had been following outlaw way for around 4 months during this summer at home. I moved for college almost a month ago..and the only open gym time at the crossfit here is 530, and so I have been waking up at 445 to get to the gym..getting around 5 hours of sleep where I'm used to 8 lol. I have been basically just getting in the gym and kinda following outlaw, or just getting done with what I can. I've been squatting a lot more, trying to gain strength so if I don't know what else to do or am only half awake to think about it then I'm like, I'm gonna squat. Already added a little weight to my squat though.
Had a little wake up call the other day when I was complaining like a baby that I wasn't seeing much improvement and someone was like..stop working on what you're good at..start working on what you're bad at. Double unders, muscle up progressions and pullups are certainly what I need to be doing everyday.
Basically, I'm looking for advice..I'm lacking in the sleep department..my body is still sorta getting used to the idea of working out so early, then walking all day..doesn't sound that bad lol but I was not used to that at all lol. I walk anywhere from 5-10 or so miles a day walking to classes and all.
Some days I get over ambitious when I've gotten a little extra sleep and I'm tempted to do a little more lifting at the gym on campus in the evening as well.. prob a bad idea..right?
I just need a little guidance..been pretty much on my own doing my own thing at the gym lately. The crossfit I go to now is super endurance/running focused..at least more than I'm used to.
So I just lift, and do a shorter/strength biased wod.
Did crossfit football mostly this week.

But yeah, while I'm at it..I've been crossfitting 9 months.

Clean-120lb, Snatch-90lb, Squat-should be 180 now, based on what I've been doing for sets of 3
Deadlift-215

Pretty much everything else needs to be re-tested. But ya, obviously looking to increase these numbers lol.

Final note-my diet is pretty clean..lol I am strict paleo except for peanut butter and some goat/raw dairy. Typical day I'm eating 5 eggs for breakfast, protein powder and peanut butter post WOD, ground beef avocado tomato for lunch, goat yogurt with some fruit, tuna/chicken later..more peanut butter. Prob could be worked on a bit too lol.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Training is all over the place..advice?

Your sleep: It does take some time (few weeks) for you to adjust to early morning workouts. The one thing that sucks is going to bed early. Waking at 4:45 I am not sure will ever feel natural, but by going to bed earlier, you will at least know you're rested. When I was an a.m.'er, I remember settling down to watch an 8pm tv show, just to be out around 8:15pm. Worse, wait till it gets colder, it takes more than normal motivation to get out from the covers. With proper warmup, you will be ok though.

The right training program is one that gets you to your goals. So letting us know your goals would help. Yes, focusing on weakness is good, if your goal is to be good at everything. But if you want a 500lb deadlift more than you care about running, well, something will have to give. I follow Outlaw Way, but if you want to powerlift, there are probably better programs. Just by you saying you want to increase the numbers you listed, and saying you need to work on muscle ups & pull ups, well OutlawWay does all those things. CFFootball is awesome too, just not enough Oly for me. Start today, and follow Rudy's next 12 week cycle, it just started...see how it goes? After 12 weeks of putting your all into it, you will know if you have improved. Warmup by practicing double unders for 5 minutes, every other day...they'll come. Bouncing around programs sometimes can lead to PR's, but with me, usually lead to stagnant numbers.

Lifting twice a day is awesome. Especially great for liftin/metcon splits (lift in am/metcon pm), but if it keeps you up passed 9pm, well you now cut into your rest.

Capeesh?

Last edited by John C Corona : 09-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i don't understand why you need to get up early and go to a crossfit gym to then not do a crossfit workout and instead just lift weights? if i were you, i would switch up your program a little bit. as much as you are walking each day you probably have no need for long grinder metcons or endurance work. so why not do your lifting in the evenings. follow a simple and easy lifting program that you do 2 or 3 nights a week, like GSLP or 5/3/1. you can do your main lifts and perhaps a few assistance. or you could throw in a simple short conditioning session of 10 minutes or so on lift days. then 2 or 3 mornings a week go to the crossfit gym and actually work on skills or do exercises / use equipment that you can only find at the crossfit gym. regardless of how you wind up scheduling your time, i think it is great that you are finding a way to still get your workouts in despite being busy with school and life. keep up the good work and you will be happy you did in the long run.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

You said you can get to the gym(crossfit) in the a.m. and you can get to the schools gym in the evening. Is that right?

What are your goals. To give advice we need to know what you want to accomplish.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Savannah Simms

Profile:

Yes, I can get to the school's gym in the evening and crossfit in the morning.

I want to get stronger in general..but my big ambitious goal is to just make it to regionals this year, likely not be able to complete all the WODs..but that's my goal.

I lift weights on my own in the morning and do a shorter WOD..around 10-15 minutes max. Especially with the extra walking, I don't feel like I need something super long..but I want to keep my conditioning so I just keep it short.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
John C Corona

Profile:

Regionals. OK. You need to get on it girl. Find something that will make you stronger, addresses your weakness, and allows you to keep your conditioning. Ideally, you can design a weeks worth of warmups, where you can hit your gymnastic skill weaknesses. One day pull ups, another hspu's, another muscle ups or ring work, double unders, etc... Then you're warmed up for your oly lifting session (10 doubles, some singles, some days light from high hang, some full lifts). Oly lifting warms you up for your slow lifting session Linear progression or 531. Leave, eat, school, eat, walk a trillion miles, school, eat, school, rest, then night metcon which is short and heavy, eat, sleep.

Or you can make it easy, follow the Outlaw Way, cause its free, already planned out for you, already familier with it, already has plenty of gymnastic skill stuff, plenty of pull ups. Metcons are short. Yes, I do think you will need to be aware of you major weaknesses, and maybe some days have to hit that first, or more than Outlaw programs it. Ready, GO!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Simms View Post
Yes, I can get to the school's gym in the evening and crossfit in the morning.

I want to get stronger in general..but my big ambitious goal is to just make it to regionals this year, likely not be able to complete all the WODs..but that's my goal.

I lift weights on my own in the morning and do a shorter WOD..around 10-15 minutes max. Especially with the extra walking, I don't feel like I need something super long..but I want to keep my conditioning so I just keep it short.
What are your maxes that you know? Squats, clean, squat clean, thruster, dead lift. ext. Pullus? muscle ups? pistols?

I would do like you are. Metcon at the CF gym. Strength at the other gym. But get a strength program to follow. Don't just go in a do what ever you feel like. You will go to your strengths.

So I'm saying a strength/ metcon plan. It can work as long as you pay attention to your body and recover.

HIT THOSE WEAKNESSES! Even a few a day just to keep them fresh.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Mitch Moore

Profile:

Just because the schedule for the CF Gym's only open session is at 5, doesn't mean that you cant talk to the owner or coach, and ask if as long as you dont interupt the class if you could do your own thing later than 5. The box I go to has set open gym hours, but as long as you dont interfere with the class they dont mind if you come in and do your own thing. It never hurts to ask!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

One thing to keep in mind is that getting enough sleep is important. Sleep is when the microtears in your muscles that you've accumulated through workouts get repaired. Without the proper sleep/rest, you're just going to keep breaking yourself down without building yourself up.

Were I in your shoes, I'd make sure I'm getting enough sleep. Otherwise you're just wasting your efforts during your workouts. Could be part of the reason you're not seeing as much improvement as you want?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I have to be up at the same time as you in order to get to work on time some mornings. Main thing? Sleep. Lots of it. Go to bed early- try hit the hay before 10pm most nights if you can.

Either that, or (as other have said again) you do a nice, basic strength template in the evenings. I work at a regular gym, and I find it plenty easy to get my strength work done as well as conditioning.