CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Kim Hanna

Profile:
Adaptive CrossFit

This thread is intended to facilitate dialogue among CrossFit athletes and coaches regarding adaptive movements and will include some of the nation's thought leaders and coaches of adaptive athletes. Categories of topics may include:

Strategic: General strategy and approach for training and coaching adaptive athletes and the working wounded.

Operational: Guidance and questions for particular disabilities or injuries (e.g., above the knee amputee, PTSD, cerebral palsy, etc.).

Tactical and Inspirational: Examples, success stories, challenges, etc. for a particular person.

Competition: Thoughts and information on competition for adaptive CrossFitters.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Re: Adaptive CrossFit

Hi Kim, thanks for setting this up!

Wanted to post a few links of resources I've used and how we've applied them. Also want to give a shout to Chef at CrossFit Rubicon who's got hundreds of hours training adaptive athletes.

CFJ - Working Wounded
by Greg Glassman [WFS]
CFJ - Serving Soldiers by Brian Wilson [WFS]
CrossFit Walter Reed website [WFS]
Push, Pull, Lift, Press by Jon Gilson
Kyle Maynard at the Level I Cert (Day 1) (Day 2) [WFS]
CFJ - The Warrior Spirit I, II, III, IV [WFS]

I also know that Mike Martinez at CrossFit Alamo has a ton of experience training amputees, but I'm not sure if he has any articles, blog posts, videos about that. Mike, if you read this: POST YOUR STUFF!

Also something I wish I had more of: CrossFit blogs written by amputees.

Here's Jason Sturm's blog. He coaches at CrossFit Walter Reed and trains with Maggie and Jeff at CrossFit Reston.

Jason Sturm [WFS]
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Rick Martinez

Profile:

Hi all,
www.transitionpossible.org (wfs) in San Antonio, Texas. Scope out the "Our Story" page.
Key thrusts are:
1. a resource for adaptive athletics in the sport of CrossFit
2. hosting, sponsoring and executing high impact, highly visible events to lend awareness to the cause of the adaptive athlete and breed inclusion (Aug 26th "Tracy" and Warrior Summit II on Oct 6th)
3. put an adaptive athlete on a CrossFit podium
4. In the near future to further develop our warrior internship program.

After 2 "test runs" with wounded heroes we have successfully assisted a hero attain his L1 cert, a 6 week internship on coaching and running a business at Alamo CrossFit, and he will join our staff in 2 weeks as a paid coach. Cheers to Mike Gallardo, who was also featured at the games. An amputee and stellar human being.

Keep this thread going.
@forthewarriors
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Hanna View Post
This thread is intended to facilitate dialogue among CrossFit athletes and coaches regarding adaptive movements and will include some of the nation's thought leaders and coaches of adaptive athletes. Categories of topics may include:

Strategic: General strategy and approach for training and coaching adaptive athletes and the working wounded.

Operational: Guidance and questions for particular disabilities or injuries (e.g., above the knee amputee, PTSD, cerebral palsy, etc.).

Tactical and Inspirational: Examples, success stories, challenges, etc. for a particular person.

Competition: Thoughts and information on competition for adaptive CrossFitters.
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel compelled to use jargon to describe the information you seek?

I know a fellow who is an excellent endurance and strength athlete whose girlfriend is an amputee that also competes in various events to include Ironman if my recollection serves. He is very bright and can probably provide some good information. I will see if I can get him to post here.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Here's a blog about an congenital amputee and her CF progress, it's good stuff:

http://www.adaptivewod.com/ (wfs)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Mark Tippett

Profile:

Kim - thanks for setting this up!

I suffered a TBI in Iraq along with a few other injuries sustained from an EFP (type of IED) blast that destroyed my vehicle and ended my career.
I lost a lot of ground physically based on my injuries and had one hell of a time getting back into the swing of CF. I want to share a few things I learned over the past three years with other coaches to help out.
I spent two years working with Maggie Dabe and Jeff Tincher of CF Reston/Fairfax and had to go through a slow learning process on learning what I could do.
Part of the issue I faced dealt with the TBI and debilitating migraines that developed from certain movements, specifically anything involving a kip or "jarring" movement (burpees, box jumps, running). Maggie and I figured out that I had to allow my brain time to get used to the jarring. It literally became a process in which every few days I would see how far I could press my brain before the pain became too bad. It was slow and I got real tired of going through the scaled versions using ring rows to compensate for kipping, the rower to compensate for running and modifying anything and everything. What is key to this is for the coach to remember that the athlete is frustrated, to a point that some days are just terrible. Keep in mind that as an athlete, I could complete all the movements, but the side effects would put me down for days. So patience became paramount, both on my side and for my coaches.
After a year of knocking out 5-10 kipping pull ups a day, 5 burpees and running 200 meters every few days, I could finally step up my training a notch. By 6 months I was running again (doc said I never would be able based on the brain injury) and completing 98% of the WODs without having to scale which was huge for me.
The bottom line is that if the athlete can safely push their limits just a little bit, the body will adapt to a certain degree. Of course there are limitations that the athlete has to deal with; burpee/box jump combinations still jack me up and I know to avoid them but it's good to keep pushing the envelope.
I can't stress enough that it takes a lot of time and patience to keep the athlete involved. If they feel they are stagnating, you will lose them. Keep them in the fight and the results will be well worth it.
After my battle to get back into the game, I'm now a coach at CF Rubicon with Chef working with adaptive athletes and other Wounded Warriors. If anyone has any questions, please shoot them my way, I'm here to help!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Kendra Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Hi Kim, thanks for setting this up!

Wanted to post a few links of resources I've used and how we've applied them. Also want to give a shout to Chef at CrossFit Rubicon who's got hundreds of hours training adaptive athletes.

CFJ - Working Wounded
by Greg Glassman [WFS]
CFJ - Serving Soldiers by Brian Wilson [WFS]
CrossFit Walter Reed website [WFS]
Push, Pull, Lift, Press by Jon Gilson
Kyle Maynard at the Level I Cert (Day 1) (Day 2) [WFS]
CFJ - The Warrior Spirit I, II, III, IV [WFS]

I also know that Mike Martinez at CrossFit Alamo has a ton of experience training amputees, but I'm not sure if he has any articles, blog posts, videos about that. Mike, if you read this: POST YOUR STUFF!

Also something I wish I had more of: CrossFit blogs written by amputees.

Here's Jason Sturm's blog. He coaches at CrossFit Walter Reed and trains with Maggie and Jeff at CrossFit Reston.

Jason Sturm [WFS]
I blog about my adaptive experiences at www.adaptivewod.com. I'm working on new content as we speak, so keep checking back for updates!

I too would LOVE to see more adaptive athletes blogging or otherwise chronicalling their adventures.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Kendra Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Here's a blog about an congenital amputee and her CF progress, it's good stuff:

http://www.adaptivewod.com/ (wfs)
oh, hey! that's me!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Jason Peacock

Profile:

You're famous and you don't even know it
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Shane Sweatt

Profile:

I have worked with amputees and people with cp.These people where amazing athletes and can do amazing things sometimes they just have to do it different. I have had one of my athletes who is paralyzed from the waist down drag sled in her wheelchair. She loves it, it has done wonders for her triceps and shoulders. She has a 190 bench at 112lb body weight. Looking into training for her i was shocked to see some of the bench press world records by para olympic athletes where higher than non para olympic numbers. Just make sure training is not boring and show the them that they can do everything every one else can and more they just have to find there way to do it.