CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
Jack Sampson

Profile:
10 Months Post Shoulder Surgury

I had surgery to repair my rotator cuff in my right shoulder on Feb 17 2016. The doc said I had 2 tears. A partial and a nearly complete tear. He also shaved down the clavical and removed some bursitis. I went through therapy and have continuned my own at home based on the therapist recomendations. At 9 months post op I was given the green light to work out on my right side as long as I didn't feel any pain. The doc said to stay within my range of motion. That's where the problem lies. There is always pain and limited range of motion. I have about 90-95% mobility in my right shoulder as aposed to my left (good shoulder). I am not able to do a back squat with both hands on the bar. The right side it too stiff. I've tried many stretching exerices but I can't seem to gain any mobitlity. I have my 1 year follow up in about 6 weeks. How long does it take to recouperate from shoulder surgery? Can anybody recommend a streching routine?

PS: not to mention I can't do overhead anything. And benching sucks too.

Last edited by Jack Sampson : 01-03-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Dawn Rivera

Profile:
Re: 10 Months Post Shoulder Surgury

I had shoulder surgery and the same issue with back squats and overhead. I modified with a snatch grip and only went until there was a slight bit of pain. OH, i had to use a more narrow grip and did that for a while. It took a little over a year for it all to start moving and I was able to do more.

Be patient, it will come. Also, I was 46 when I had my surgery (bicipital tenodesis and a slight rotator tear) so recovery was tough as well, and I didn't want to be patient!!! LOL
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Sometimes your range of motion takes longer to recover. Sometimes arthritis can inhibit your range of motion. Ask the surgeon if there was arthritis in there. If not it usually takes increased stretching to improve. PM me if you want suggestions for stretching
Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sampson View Post
I had surgery to repair my rotator cuff in my right shoulder on Feb 17 2016. The doc said I had 2 tears. A partial and a nearly complete tear. He also shaved down the clavical and removed some bursitis. I went through therapy and have continuned my own at home based on the therapist recomendations. At 9 months post op I was given the green light to work out on my right side as long as I didn't feel any pain. The doc said to stay within my range of motion. That's where the problem lies. There is always pain and limited range of motion. I have about 90-95% mobility in my right shoulder as aposed to my left (good shoulder). I am not able to do a back squat with both hands on the bar. The right side it too stiff. I've tried many stretching exerices but I can't seem to gain any mobitlity. I have my 1 year follow up in about 6 weeks. How long does it take to recouperate from shoulder surgery? Can anybody recommend a streching routine?

PS: not to mention I can't do overhead anything. And benching sucks too.

Targeted Mobility to the positions you struggle to get into is where a lot of your focus needed to be right now. Mobilizing and then Stabilizing into the overhead position and bench press archetypical positions will be hugely beneficial. Check out my instagram feed for a whole bunch of mobility and stability exercises you could do for yourself. I've posted a lot on my feed regarding the shoulder (mobility and stability). My IG is @groundtooverheadpt

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

I had two tears and surgery was 7 October. I am still in therapy and trying to regain mobility. My therapist works my tail off and I've regained about the same as you.
I've discovered that I may not regain full ROM due to how tight my rotator cuff had to be stretched in order for the repair....My surgeon and therapist are optimistic and both say that it will take time; and stretching.
ROM recovery is going to vary based on severity of injury, individual healing and therapeutic techniques. Patience....
One thing that I discovered was that some of my ROM had not returned because I have tight lats. I've been doing several exercises to curb that, and it's made a world of difference.
Good luck to you!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Jack Sampson

Profile:
Re: 10 Months Post Shoulder Surgery

Thank you guys for the reassurance. I am trying a lot of different stretches and little by little it seems to be getting better. I just pasted the 1 year mark post surgery. Bench is getting better. I prefer dumbbells over barbell. DB's seem easier on shoulders. I am also sticking with higher reps. No lower than 8 and upto 25 for a burn. Back is pretty strong. I'll check out the suggestions.