CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Cindy Longhini

Profile:
Alternatives to TKR

I have been hearing that there are some new procedures that are alternatives to having a total knee replacement. Has anyone heard about any of these? I've looked on the internet, but haven't come up with much. One of the had something to do with minimally invasive placement of placental tissue in place of meniscus. Anything, anyone?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Alternatives to TKR

Cindy,
It's been six days, so I don't know if this information will be timely, but here goes.

Also, Sean Rockett is on the forum here and an orthopedic doctor. You might try sending him a message directly.

I am a dentist, and got this story from one of my patients, so it's secondary information. He told me that he was recommended for TKR, and looked around for other opinions. He ended up having a procedure where belly fat was collected via a syringe. Stem cells were separated from this sample. The stem cells were injected into the knee joint space, and developed into cartilage. This is only an option if you still have cartilage in the joint. If you've worn down the joint so it is bone-on-bone, there is no starting point for the stem cells to be stimulated into cartilage cells. My patient said he was active the next day, and the recovery was SO much easier on him than a TKR.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Hi Cindy, There are many alternatives to a total knee. A lot of people are doing things that are completely experimental so I can't recommend something that has not been validated scientifically with long term studies or even short term studies. There are a multitude of injections out there that people are trying. There are cartilage transplants, meniscal replacements which are experimental also. So the answer to your question is yes there are alternatives but the question is do any of them work.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Cindy Longhini

Profile:

Thank you both for your responses, I so appreciate it! I live in the Yale New Haven, CT area, but surprising as this may sound, I've gotten the feeling around here that alternative therapies are not considered and opinions are hard to change with regard to trying different modalities/therapies. For example, 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with hallux rigiditus in my large toe joints. No one, and I mean NO ONE (and I saw the best foot ortho's in this area) would consider anything else but fusion. I did much research and found Dr. Carl Hasselman in Pittsburgh who had been doing research and then 15 years of doing the surgery itself with great results, called "Hemi-Cap" implants. After much consideration, sending my scans, info, etc., and talking to Carl on the phone I ended up going to Pittsburgh and getting it done. 10 years later, my toes still have much more mobility and much less pain than if they were fused. I bring that up because I don't necessarily believe that there are no other alternatives to a total knee, just because I am hearing it from Yale Dr.s. Long story short, Sean, if you know of any good knee ortho's I should talk to in my search, I would appreciate the names of these people. I think I'll also contact Carl Hasselman as well.

Cindy
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Cindy Longhini

Profile:

Hi Sean,
I posted a reply to you regarding my knee, but failed to direct it to you. If you could read it and pass any names along,, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again for responding to my post. I really want to keep doing Crossfit, but the list of what I can do is dwindling with this knee problem!!

Cindy
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Hi Cindy I am a knee surgeon and do joint replacements as well as sports medicine. It depends what is going on in your knee because there are certainly other things that can be tried. I would be happy to see you.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Cindy Longhini

Profile:

Thanks, Sean, I will definitely keep you in mind; maybe what I would do is have x-rays, MRI done here and send them to you for your opinion.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:

Cindy,
Knee replacement is not the end of your CrossFit journey. I've had 4 joint replacements (both knees and both shoulders) and I continue to CrossFit.
With each joint, as the pain increased and the decision was made to replace it, my CrossFit training was the motivation and faith that following surgery I would be back to 100% and enjoying a health lifestyle.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Cindy Longhini

Profile:

Hi Skip, thanks for your kind reply; I just noticed it tonight. Can you tell me how long since your knee replacement and are you back to crossfitting? Your shoulders too? Would you say you'll be back 100 percent? I'm very afraid of having TKR and then not being able to get back to what I love doing.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Hi-
Just my two cents-
I was back in the gym in 6 weeks and went on from there, modifying for a bit of course.
I found my knee continued to get better and better range of motion over the next several years.
4 years later and I am doing everything, but pistols, I did before.
(I do not run though because my other knee is going and I am in no hurry to go through the recovery again)