CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Zack Meleg

Profile:
Pre-workout

What are some good pre-workout supplements you all take?
Old 01-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Pre-workout

Coconut oil/MCT 10g
Citrulline malat 5g
ALCAR 2g
ALA 1g
250ml water, blend it nicely.

Some also add 150mg caffeine but I try to stay away from such a high doses.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Michael Lennox

Profile:

C4 Ripped or Mr. Hyde on lifting days (4 days), coffee and BCAAs on just running days. I generally only use Mr. Hyde only once a week though. Trying not to be that dependent on caffeine.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Caffeine

Pretty much anything else is worthless
Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

I like to take a BCAA drink before working out (I work out fasted). Right now I like the Xtend - Blue Raspberry. No sugar and tastes like Blowpops.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Washburn View Post
I like to take a BCAA drink before working out (I work out fasted). Right now I like the Xtend - Blue Raspberry. No sugar and tastes like Blowpops.
Be careful with that, it still have artificial sweeteners which are not doing your body good.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Some also add 150mg caffeine but I try to stay away from such a high doses.
On my last WL max out that I peaked for (I was going to go to a meet but opted not to because of $$$), I had imbibed around 745mg. No, I didn't have any problems crashing out nor did I feel like my heart was going to explode or have a high HR.

I used CM during the summer with Beta-Alanine and Creatine but found the first two to not be worth it. Then again, I WL. Some of the documentation shows that BA is only worth it for much higher reps and the same is possibly true for CM.

Light days: Diet cola which is 20-30mg. Also on off days so I don't have to deal with caffeine withdrawal but is far less than training days.

Medium days: Rockstar (they're cheap at WinCo) which are 140mg. Sometimes a diet cola when I wake up.

Heavy as all get out days: Diet cola, Rockstar otw, pop a 100/200mg caffeine tablet (I only found the 200 at Winco the other day). Sometimes generic excedrin which is 65mg each, so 1 or 2 depending how much I ache.

Meet days. All the caffeine. My buddy likes Spike from TNation but the Yohimbe is no bueno for me as I get nausea from that.

I generally drink the 0 cal energy drinks though sometimes you can't find 0 cal redbull around and have to go with the one that has 3g of carbs.

Quote:
Be careful with that, it still have artificial sweeteners which are not doing your body good.
MEH.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

MEH.
Deleted-You must indicate links as Work Family Safe (WFS)

Quote:
People who are watching their weight will often opt for a diet soda, reasoning that the fewer calories, the better. But the availability of drinks and foods made with artificial sweeteners like saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame hasn't seemed to help much with our booming obesity levels. Now, some researchers might have identified a reason for this: the sweeteners leave their users with elevated blood glucose levels. But they don't seem to act directly on human metabolism. Instead, the effects come through alterations in the bacterial populations that live inside us.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Already aware of this.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
On my last WL max out that I peaked for (I was going to go to a meet but opted not to because of $$$), I had imbibed around 745mg. No, I didn't have any problems crashing out nor did I feel like my heart was going to explode or have a high HR.

I used CM during the summer with Beta-Alanine and Creatine but found the first two to not be worth it. Then again, I WL. Some of the documentation shows that BA is only worth it for much higher reps and the same is possibly true for CM.

Light days: Diet cola which is 20-30mg. Also on off days so I don't have to deal with caffeine withdrawal but is far less than training days.

Medium days: Rockstar (they're cheap at WinCo) which are 140mg. Sometimes a diet cola when I wake up.

Heavy as all get out days: Diet cola, Rockstar otw, pop a 100/200mg caffeine tablet (I only found the 200 at Winco the other day). Sometimes generic excedrin which is 65mg each, so 1 or 2 depending how much I ache.

Meet days. All the caffeine. My buddy likes Spike from TNation but the Yohimbe is no bueno for me as I get nausea from that.

I generally drink the 0 cal energy drinks though sometimes you can't find 0 cal redbull around and have to go with the one that has 3g of carbs.

MEH.

Yeah, I liked the white can rockstar but the carbonation was hard to chug. Need something quick to drink for early morning training. I've also had Bang which taste like a rockstar with the carbonation but is twice the caffeine and has creatine. But again, just can't drink it that quickly. Pretty pricey too.
Carbonation doesn't bother you at all?