CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
cfne or invictus??

Should I follow the bergeron program (competitor traing.com) or the invictus programming?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: cfne or invictus??

Invictus.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

How much time do you have to dedicate to training each day / week.

Figure on an hour - hour and a half... 5 days a week....
Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Nada Hassan

Profile:

Now that its the summer I have all day but once summer is over not sure exactly bec its my first year of university but I figure 2-3 hours daily mabye ? In high school I had about 4-5 hours I could have trained if I want to (free time) and ya im free for 5 days a week which is pretty much most programs

Last edited by Nada Hassan : 07-14-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Right now Invictus is building strength and aerobic capacity. If you can handle the volume and the weights it is much more progressive than what CFNE is doing. And to what I can see will drive a pile of improvement. Bergeron's program is a little less structured, which can work too but my preference is the progressive loading. I believe they start a new cycle next week Monday.

My suggestion is to follow it to a tee for at least 12 months and see where you stand.

I have no idea what your numbers are either so there is a likely chance that the prescribed weights and gymnastics are too much for you at this point.

Try and stick with it anyways and you will progress. It sounds like you are really young so improvement and strength will come quickly
Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Richard Colon

Profile:

Its not Crossfit specific and doesn't claim to be, but you will notice the flow and style emulates what is familiar to you. You could try grrillagym.com.

Leveled programming with powerlifting and squat bias, with some odd object and otherwise unconventional use of equipment and movements thrown in. You might find where you should fit in after looking through the different levels.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of both invictus and CFNE. Whatever you do, stick with it, follow it until you know you aren't improving or you get the rewards from it - don't just jump ship to the next best thing. Progression needs time.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

If you have training partners to push you and will do the program with you, I think Bergerons is best. It's more classic Crossfit than Invictus' is, a bit more easily manipulated to address individual weaknesses & from what I understand is more along how a lot of Games athletes have trained in the past, show up, hit it hard, and have people to push you beyond your limits.

If you train alone, I would go Invictus. They do a lot of stuff that forces you to push. Yesterday was on the 6 minutes for 24minutes Row 750, 10 MU. I think that if you did that workout as 4RFT you would have gotten a fairly different stimulus. None the less, they do ALOT of EMOM type stuff that forces you to push and keep up.

I followed CompWod for 2 years, saw a lot of progress, I have scaled back to just doing mostly Mainsite workouts and a lot lower volume. My buddies have kept pushing towards competitive goals & are following Invictus. I think they like the structure & organization a bit better.

Either way, they're great programs & if you STICK with it & if you push hard you will see some gains. Truthfully, go with your guy & pick whatever program you think is best because the one that you stick to and believe in will give you the best results.

Last edited by Danny Bostwick : 07-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Nada Hassan

Profile:

I actually checked out grrillagym.com out of curiosity and I actually really liked the programming. It still is new but I like the structure and am going to try it out for a while and see how I feel. I suggest to everyone to just check it out