CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Nick Curren

Profile:
3 position snatch

This was part of TOLW programming. My head seems to stick out kinda far forward at the bottom position. Other advice would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46hSVJgGpWE

WFS/SFW or whatever the safe for work thing is
Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: 3 position snatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Curren View Post
This was part of TOLW programming. My head seems to stick out kinda far forward at the bottom position. Other advice would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46hSVJgGpWE

WFS/SFW or whatever the safe for work thing is
Form looks good overall. Your head is sticking "out" at the bottom because your torso is inclined forward--your torso angle is about where it should be in a back squat. It looks like you're maintaining a neutral spine, which is good, and your shoulder positioning and mobility looks good, so you're able to keep the bar overhead and stable despite the non-vertical torso. Working on a more upright torso could certainly help your snatch though. Looks to me like the major culprits are:
1) long femurs - not much you can do about this specifically--wider stance can help, but don't wanna too wide in the O-lifts
2) lack of ankle dorsiflexion - hammer that calf/ankle/foot mobility, it'll likely make a big difference

You also might just need to get more comfortable with an upright torso. Lots of overhead squats and drop snatches can help this. Think about dropping your *** right between your ankles.

Good work.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Nick Curren

Profile:

Thanks Preston! I'll focus on my ankle mobility some more, and I know my hips are tight so I need to work on mobility there too. I was a cross country runner back in HS (3 years ago) so I think I haven't fully made up for that as seen in my ankle mobility...
Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Curren View Post
Thanks Preston! I'll focus on my ankle mobility some more, and I know my hips are tight so I need to work on mobility there too. I was a cross country runner back in HS (3 years ago) so I think I haven't fully made up for that as seen in my ankle mobility...
Glad I can help. Ankle mobility takes lots and lots of time, in my experience, so be patient with it. I've been trying to fix mine for the better part of 5 years, and though it has gotten considerably better, it's still a work in progress.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Looks alright.

I'd prefer if your eyes were looking farther out with chin up. Right now you're looking at the floor about 4-6 feet away from you with your chin down.

Did it say TnG? If it was from the floor, you'd normally just start from the floor rather than lowering to the floor and TnG.